+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP: My situation and questions

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi there,

I'm planning on starting my application for the BC PNP program very soon, but would like to check with some people here to see if there could be any problems along the way, as I'm not really in a standard situation (I think). My name is Daan, I'm 24 yrs old and am from The Netherlands.

I came to Canada in March of 2007 for a university research project of 5 months. After my project, I was offered a job by the company I was doing my research with and I gladly accepted. I applied for a regular work permit (LMO-exempt "Software Products Developer", I program web applications) and got this in February 2008. On my work permit it says it's limited to just the company that offered me a job, I cannot work for another company.

Now, 1 month after I came to Canada (April 2007) I met my (now) girlfriend. We moved in together in October 2007 and applied for common-law in November 2008. My girlfriend was able to get an open work permit based on my work permit in December 2008. Since my current work permit expires in November 2009, so will hers.

Fast forward to January 2009, I am now certain I want to stay and settle down in Canada with my girlfriend, so I'd like to go for my PR status. After some research, I found out that this would be quickest through the BC PNP program. I still have some questions:

1. I would like to apply for the PNP with my current employer. This shouldn't be a problem, right? I will get a new job offer and everything, my employer is fully cooperative.

2. I'm worried about the time it will take to process my PNP and PR applications. My current work permit expires at the end of November 2009. From now, that leaves me with 10 months. Will that be enough for both PNP and PR? What are realistic processing times for both PNP and PR?

3. What is going to happen to my girlfriend's work permit when I receive my PNP status? Will she be able to keep her current permit or would she have to apply for a new one, based on my changed status?

4. About the PNP: is the PNP visa a work permit in itself, or is it merely a status?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later, but that's it for now.

Thanks so much!

Daan from Vancouver

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Daan said:
Hi there,

I'm planning on starting my application for the BC PNP program very soon, but would like to check with some people here to see if there could be any problems along the way, as I'm not really in a standard situation (I think). My name is Daan, I'm 24 yrs old and am from The Netherlands.

I came to Canada in March of 2007 for a university research project of 5 months. After my project, I was offered a job by the company I was doing my research with and I gladly accepted. I applied for a regular work permit (LMO-exempt "Software Products Developer", I program web applications) and got this in February 2008. On my work permit it says it's limited to just the company that offered me a job, I cannot work for another company.

Now, 1 month after I came to Canada (April 2007) I met my (now) girlfriend. We moved in together in October 2007 and applied for common-law in November 2008. My girlfriend was able to get an open work permit based on my work permit in December 2008. Since my current work permit expires in November 2009, so will hers.

Fast forward to January 2009, I am now certain I want to stay and settle down in Canada with my girlfriend, so I'd like to go for my PR status. After some research, I found out that this would be quickest through the BC PNP program. I still have some questions:

1. I would like to apply for the PNP with my current employer. This shouldn't be a problem, right? I will get a new job offer and everything, my employer is fully cooperative.YES

2. I'm worried about the time it will take to process my PNP and PR applications. My current work permit expires at the end of November 2009. From now, that leaves me with 10 months. Will that be enough for both PNP and PR? What are realistic processing times for both PNP and PR?
ONCE YOU RECIEVE A PROVINCIAL NOMINATION YOU WILL RECIEVE A LETTER FROM BC PNP TELLING CIC YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN NOMINATED AND THAT THEY SHOULD ISSUE A WORK VISA UNTIL YOUR PR STATUS ARRIVES 4 MONTHS AVERAGE PROCESSING TIME FOR NOMINATION
3. What is going to happen to my girlfriend's work permit when I receive my PNP status? Will she be able to keep her current permit or would she have to apply for a new one, based on my changed status?YOU DONT WANT TO INCLUDE HER?????BY PUTTING HER NAME ON ACCOMPANYING FAMILY MEMBER PAPER SHE BECOMES PR WITH YOU

4. About the PNP: is the PNP visa a work permit in itself, or is it merely a status?
PROVINCIAL NOMINEE IS THE USE OF THE PROVINCE S POWER UNDER CANADIAN CONSTITUTION TO MAKE LAWS REGULATING IMMIGRATION TO THAT PROVINCE,ONCE NOMINATED YOU CANNOT BE DENIED BY CIC EXCEPT FOR MEDICAL CHECK FAILURE,CRIMINAL CHECK FAILURE AND FRAUD
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later, but that's it for now.

Thanks so much!

Daan from Vancouver
Have a nice day

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Average processing time for BC PNP nomination is 4 months? Is that in- or excluding PR processing?
I thought I had read 3-4 weeks for PNP only on the PNP website somewhere. They must be busy then!

And yes, I will put my girlfriend on my PR as spouse, but will anything change for her between my nomination and us actually getting PR status?

Thanks for replying BCguy :)

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Daan said:
Average processing time for BC PNP nomination is 4 months? Is that in- or excluding PR processing?NO ONLY BC NOMINATION PROCESSS
I thought I had read 3-4 weeks for PNP only on the PNP website somewhere. They must be busy then!
YES THEY HAVE BEEN BUSY BEING UNDERSTAFFED
And yes, I will put my girlfriend on my PR as spouse, but will anything change for her between my nomination and us actually getting PR status?
NOTHING
Thanks for replying BCguy :)
Glad to help and Welcome to our province

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I was just wondering:

What if you are nominated for BC PNP, can you just apply for a new temporary open work permit? Or is the nomination specifically for applying for PR and you can't do anything else with it? In other words: what can and can't I do with a nomination?

Thanks.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
If you have no intention of becoming a Permanent Resident,Why are you getting the slot of someone who wants to become a PR of Canada,You are becoming a PR,You dont need to become a permanent resident of a country to work there,Apply for a temporary work permit instead.PNP slots are limited,give it for somebody who wants it

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I understand what you're saying and I agree. I'm just wondering what possibilities there are with a nomination.
What if I'm nominated and decide or am forced to switch jobs, while waiting for my PR? Is the PNP regarded as an open work permit, meaning that if I switch jobs I can just get a new work permit with my new company, or does it not work like that?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Daan said:
I understand what you're saying and I agree. I'm just wondering what possibilities there are with a nomination.
What if I'm nominated and decide or am forced to switch jobs, while waiting for my PR? Is the PNP regarded as an open work permit, meaning that if I switch jobs I can just get a new work permit with my new company, or does it not work like that?
A PNP means you become a Permanent Resident of Canada,Once a PR you DONT NEED A WORK PERMIT FOREVER AND YOU CAN CHANGE EMPLOYER 50 TIMES OR MORE FOREVER,While waiting you get a open work permit allowing you no restriction,change jobs monthly if you want

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My buddy who's from Holland as well applied about a month ago and just got confirmation today that he was nominated. So it didn't take 3-4 months. Are they quicker now?

Oct 20, 2008
Daan,

Good luck with your application. I was just reading your thread and wanted to share.

I applied for PR under BC PNP in Oct 2007 and still am not a PR (yes, over 16 months). Your question and concern is very valid regarding being tied to the current employer during the waiting time. Yes, theoretically it is fast tracked but mine was not and I started to have problems with my employer.

This very point actually made me to make a decision to withdraw my application for PR - I have not formally done it yet but waiting for a job offer confirmation outside Canada. One reason that I wanted to become a PR in Canada, was because of this illusion that I had about Canada being a country based on "Systems" which turned out to be false at least in my experience

I guess my point is that if you do not see your employer as a potential long term fit for you, think again before going down this path. It may take longer than you think (I sincerely hope not for you though).

Cheers

p.s. - BC guy tried to help me but left me in the middle of the process, no hard feelings though.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Did you recieve your nomination already???I will be at BC PNP today and can do a formal inquiry,I just need you to sign a consent form authorizing our office to do an inquiry?They have to reply within 48 hours to a MLA inquiry or are you at Federal CIC level???That case I will put you in touch with a MP Contact me by PM so that I can give you my contact details

Oct 20, 2008
Thanks BC Guy. Yes, I received my nomination in September 2007. My issue was with federal application. I tried to engage my local MP as per your previous advice, but did not go anywhere. Then, I sent an inquiry directly to the Minster. That did not work either, so I have given up. I decided to pursue my dreams somewhere else.

Thanks for the offer though

ndayananda

Mar 13, 2009
Hi,
It might have disheartened you hearing from frustratedinBC. I sent in my application in the first week of february and stunned to get my nomination by the 20th of february. It was actually approved in a week, printed after a week and sent to me- all in 3 weeks. I am happyinBC

Good luck