+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP in progress, about to lose my job, what to do?

randomt2000

Jul 21, 2013
Hi folks,

I'm currently waiting on my PR decision, I applied through BC PNP skilled workers in December 2012, got nominated in January 2013 and handed in my PR application in March 2013 (recieved March 19). In May I did my medicals (according to tracker also received, although no date indicated). I was hoping to hear from CIC by late August, or September.

My problem is now, that my employer told me today that he wants to restructure the company and in that process eliminate my position (I work as the manager of a production kitchen of a restaurant). He offered me to keep me employed, although with much less hours and probably lower hourly pay as well. Needless to say, I'm not very eager to stay, I wanted to leave the company after landing anyways. And I'm sure that now in the summer I could easily find a job in a restaurant again. The problem, however, is that I'm not sure I could get a managing job right away. That's just not how the restaurant industry works, unless you have tons of experience (I don't) you start on a lower level and work your way up. A lower level, however, would not be a skilled worker anymore, or, even if I could work as a cook, I don't have an education as a cook which is why BCPNP might think I'm not qualified.
Is there a way I could get an open work permit which would get me a bit more freedom to search for a new job, or do you think I should try to stick it out with my current employer until I get my PR? He is really difficult, and staying with him has an awful effect on my wellbeing and the money would barely be enough to pay the rent. I feel like a modern slave. On the PNP website it just states that the case would be reassessed, I don't want to risk a cancellation of the process now that my pr application is already progressed so far.

TL;DR employer is cutting my pay and hours without just cause, can I get an open work permit to find another job before I receive my PR?

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
I'm sort of in the same boat. Things have changed at work and not sure I'll have a job in a few weeks.

I've done my med's and now waiting for passport request. Should I lose my job would that mean my PR application is cancelled?

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
lez_s said:
I'm sort of in the same boat. Things have changed at work and not sure I'll have a job in a few weeks.

I've done my med's and now waiting for passport request. Should I lose my job would that mean my PR application is cancelled?
You need to contact the BCPNP for further direction. Losing your job does not mean you lose your nomination automatically. The BCPNP will take account to your situation and decide are they going to withdraw your PNP nomination. According the web, every cases are deal independently. But It seems like you will need to find another employer willing to sponsor your nomination and if the job qualified for the PNP program your application can be transfer in the under of the sponsorship with the new job.

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
Thanks for the reply. You dont know how much stress I'm under. I hope things hold out for another month or two and by then I should have PR.

randomt2000

Jul 21, 2013
I can totally feel with you lez!

Stay strong!

My employer has now given me a written notice that he can't employ me full time anymore, just part time, but he is willing to keep employing me.
I know that legally I should inform PNP, but my immigration consultant advised me to better keep my head down and wait it out, it shouldn't take much longer, maybe 2 months.
Still, tomorrow I will approach another company and see whether they might be willing to sponsor me.

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
Good luck to you. Its not a nice feeling when you have come so far.

MACAK

Jun 6, 2013
it would be best for you to contacting the office who nominated you, I think your employer should hold you until the end of the process, my cousin in Saskatchewan received a letter from the government(actually his employer) in which writes that by the end of the process employer must provide job.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
randomt2000 said:
I can totally feel with you lez!

Stay strong!

My employer has now given me a written notice that he can't employ me full time anymore, just part time, but he is willing to keep employing me.
I know that legally I should inform PNP, but **spam** advised me to better keep my head down and wait it out, it shouldn't take much longer, maybe 2 months.
Still, tomorrow I will approach another company and see whether they might be willing to sponsor me.
Hi i have talked to CIC officer before ( i am a reporter). because i was tempted to change to another job that provided better career opportunity than my current job, but the down side its a contract job , therefore not qualified for PNP. I was thinking about since my process should be coming to the end (obviously not) . so i asked the officer during a chit chat without disclosing my personal information. what if the province found out that i was not qualifed for PNP anymore and terminate my PR application in CIC. apparently not only, as a matter of fact, your PR application will be terminated. This can result in dishonesty in your record if you want to apply for PR and citizenship. Those application that assess your reliabilities.
So i advise you to think wisely before taking chances. You can ruined your chances coming to Canada. and CIC does call up and check do you still have the job, unless your employer is willing to lie to CIC for you. (my coworker just complete her PNP, the CIC called our office HR to make sure)

plussa

May 1, 2013
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2003
Nomination.....
28-12-2012
AOR Received.
25-02-2013
Med's Request
27-02-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-08-2013
Hi,

I would advise you to stay on this job, even if it means lower hourly salary and less working hours. If you switch to another employer, it is almost certain that your PNP will be cancelled and you have go through the same process again. You are anyway so close to the finishing line, after that, you will have full freedom to look for new opportunities, instead being held hostage by PNP/another employer for another year or so..

Plussa

randomt2000 said:
Hi folks,

I'm currently waiting on my PR decision, I applied through BC PNP skilled workers in December 2012, got nominated in January 2013 and handed in my PR application in March 2013 (recieved March 19). In May I did my medicals (according to tracker also received, although no date indicated). I was hoping to hear from CIC by late August, or September.

My problem is now, that my employer told me today that he wants to restructure the company and in that process eliminate my position (I work as the manager of a production kitchen of a restaurant). He offered me to keep me employed, although with much less hours and probably lower hourly pay as well. Needless to say, I'm not very eager to stay, I wanted to leave the company after landing anyways. And I'm sure that now in the summer I could easily find a job in a restaurant again. The problem, however, is that I'm not sure I could get a managing job right away. That's just not how the restaurant industry works, unless you have tons of experience (I don't) you start on a lower level and work your way up. A lower level, however, would not be a skilled worker anymore, or, even if I could work as a cook, I don't have an education as a cook which is why BCPNP might think I'm not qualified.
Is there a way I could get an open work permit which would get me a bit more freedom to search for a new job, or do you think I should try to stick it out with my current employer until I get my PR? He is really difficult, and staying with him has an awful effect on my wellbeing and the money would barely be enough to pay the rent. I feel like a modern slave. On the PNP website it just states that the case would be reassessed, I don't want to risk a cancellation of the process now that my pr application is already progressed so far.

TL;DR employer is cutting my pay and hours without just cause, can I get an open work permit to find another job before I receive my PR?

plussa

May 1, 2013
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2003
Nomination.....
28-12-2012
AOR Received.
25-02-2013
Med's Request
27-02-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-08-2013
Hi, lez_s

I hope things will hold longer for you. But if the worst happens, maybe you can talk with your employer and see if they can keep you on the payroll, but you will take some unpaid leave. I heard that some employers would happily agree, because dismissing an employee under their sponsorship will earn them a black mark and making it more difficult for them to sponser work permit/PNP in the future.

Also, as randomt2000 and absolute_ze0o pointed out (and I heard the same from CIC officer), losing your job does not automatically nullify your PNP / PR application, your PNP program will reassess your case and decide what to do next. But still, as your PR is just around the corner, if you can talk your employer into keeping you on the payroll, and you have savings to go by for a few months, why take the unnecessary risks?

Wish you all the best, with all my heart,

Plussa

lez_s said:

lez_s

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-13
Med's Request
10-06-13
Med's Done....
17-06-13
Interview........
In-Process 28-10-13
Passport Req..
23-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 27-01-2014
LANDED..........
31-1-2014
I did wonder if the worse case happens would the visa office contact the company to see if I still have a job before requesting my passport?

randomt2000

Jul 21, 2013
Plussa and Absolute Zero,

thanks for your support! It's just hard because my boss is treating me very badly (random schedule changes, random hours cut), and I feel I can't do anything against it. My coworkers are leaving one after the other and I have to sit it out. And be as nice as possible, because I always fear he might fire me.

But yea, hopefully just two more months or so.

blackwine

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Richmond
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
25-01-2013
AOR Received.
26-04-2013
Med's Request
03-07-2013
Med's Done....
08-07-2013
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
LANDED..........
14-01-2014
Hey I have a question here, I just landing few days ago, I just think to change my job. CIC will come bank to check my work states? and still could terminate my PR?

tee1

Star Member
Oct 20, 2013
lez_s said:
I did wonder if the worse case happens would the visa office contact the company to see if I still have a job before requesting my passport?
Contacting employers if needed would normally be done at first step of the background/eligibility checks stage. Looking at your timeline I'd say your past that already. No guarantees but I'd say it's unlikely.

Are you not from a Visa exempt country? If so no PPR either just COPR by email :) A bit quicker