+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GitaM456

Newbie
Sep 27, 2026
6
0
Hi everyone, I need advice on my BC PNP situation.

I worked as a developer for a foreign company and was paid mainly in cash. I was also a director and received 50% ownership in 2023, after leaving my developer role.

I disclosed my developer experience in my previous Canadian immigration applications but never mentioned my directorship or ownership.

I currently work as a Senior Developer in BC under the same NOC. I'll complete two years of Canadian experience in January 2027, with only six months remaining on my PGWP.

My concern: I don't have bank deposit records for my cash salary or tax records. I only have cash receipts, one bank salary payment and some inconsistent company transactions.

Should I take the risk of claiming my foreign experience for BC PNP, considering my cash salary and directorship situation, or wait until the end of January 2027 and apply using only my two years of Canadian experience?
 
Hi everyone, I need advice on my BC PNP situation.

I worked as a developer for a foreign company and was paid mainly in cash. I was also a director and received 50% ownership in 2023, after leaving my developer role.

I disclosed my developer experience in my previous Canadian immigration applications but never mentioned my directorship or ownership.

I currently work as a Senior Developer in BC under the same NOC. I'll complete two years of Canadian experience in January 2027, with only six months remaining on my PGWP.

My concern: I don't have bank deposit records for my cash salary or tax records. I only have cash receipts, one bank salary payment and some inconsistent company transactions.

Should I take the risk of claiming my foreign experience for BC PNP, considering my cash salary and directorship situation, or wait until the end of January 2027 and apply using only my two years of Canadian experience?

What is your immigration history in Canada? What applications have you filed? When did you arrive in Canada?
 
What is your immigration history in Canada? What applications have you filed? When did you arrive in Canada?
I got my study permit in 2023, extended it approximately nine months later, and received my PGWP in August 2024, which expires in 2027.

I haven’t submitted any PR application yet.

I consistently disclosed my work experience in all my previous immigration applications, including my study permit, extension, and PGWP applications. However, I never mentioned my directorship in any of them.
 
I got my study permit in 2023, extended it approximately nine months later, and received my PGWP in August 2024, which expires in 2027.

I haven’t submitted any PR application yet.

I consistently disclosed my work experience in all my previous immigration applications, including my study permit, extension, and PGWP applications. However, I never mentioned my directorship in any of them.

Were you still working for the company after you arrived in Canada? Were you a passive owner or were you working as a co-CEO after changing roles in 2023? Were you paid as an employee as a partial owner or was ant money you made kept in the business? Assume the ownership happened after you applied for your study permit so what did you declare as your work history on your PGWP application?
 
Were you still working for the company after you arrived in Canada? Were you a passive owner or were you working as a co-CEO after changing roles in 2023? Were you paid as an employee as a partial owner or was ant money you made kept in the business? Assume the ownership happened after you applied for your study permit so what did you declare as your work history on your PGWP application?
I initially worked as a freelancer for this company before officially joining as a developer and director in July 2021. Both roles started together. My work was mainly technical development and occasional client meetings. I wasn't involved in accounting, rent, or other business operations.

I worked there until November 2022 and had no ownership during that period. I received 50% ownership in March 2023, after my employment ended.

I haven't actively worked for the company since then, including after arriving in Canada. The company now has only a few recurring clients and makes almost no profit. There have been some transactions between my personal and company accounts.

Although it was a registered private limited company, we operated as a small team with a few employees and interns. Our internal processes were informal, and we gradually learned the importance of proper documentation and formalities.

In my PGWP application, I declared my developer experience but didn't mention my directorship or ownership.
 
I initially worked as a freelancer for this company before officially joining as a developer and director in July 2021. Both roles started together. My work was mainly technical development and occasional client meetings. I wasn't involved in accounting, rent, or other business operations.

I worked there until November 2022 and had no ownership during that period. I received 50% ownership in March 2023, after my employment ended.

I haven't actively worked for the company since then, including after arriving in Canada. The company now has only a few recurring clients and makes almost no profit. There have been some transactions between my personal and company accounts.

Although it was a registered private limited company, we operated as a small team with a few employees and interns. Our internal processes were informal, and we gradually learned the importance of proper documentation and formalities.

In my PGWP application, I declared my developer experience but didn't mention my directorship or ownership.

There could be some tax implication regarding international income after your arrival in Canada. IRCC has certainly become much more cautious when it comes to cash payments. If you have a high chance of getting a nomination based on your Canadian work experience I would probably wait and apply in January. I would personally not want to risk getting nominated based on my foreign experience and end up getting refused after my PGWP has expired.
 
Thank you for your advice. Just to clarify, I received all payments in my Indian bank account, and my Canadian bank account was never involved. There have also been no transactions in my Indian account since December 2022.

My main concern is proving my foreign work experience, especially the cash payments. Most of my supporting documents were issued by the company, and since I was also a director, I’m worried that an immigration officer might question their credibility or consider them self-issued, even if they are genuine. This is the risk I’m most concerned about.
 
Thank you for your advice. Just to clarify, I received all payments in my Indian bank account, and my Canadian bank account was never involved. There have also been no transactions in my Indian account since December 2022.

My main concern is proving my foreign work experience, especially the cash payments. Most of my supporting documents were issued by the company, and since I was also a director, I’m worried that an immigration officer might question their credibility or consider them self-issued, even if they are genuine. This is the risk I’m most concerned about.

Payments into a foreign bank account still need to be declared in your Canadian taxes. If you haven’t been paid since 2022 there are no issues.

As I’ve mentioned there could be concerns about your cash payments. IRCC is a lot more suspicious of cash payments these days without further documentation like nano deposits, tax records, etc. It is up to you what level of risk you are willing to take. Whether you should receive a nomination after your 2 years of work experience in Canada should be part of your calculation about what to do.
 
Thank you, that makes sense. My main hesitation is exactly the documentation issue and whether the directorship could make the company-issued evidence less credible.

Do you know any good immigration lawyer you would recommend speaking with about this? I have spoken with a few immigration consultants, but some of them immediately said it should be fine without really discussing the cash payments, directorship, ownership, and previous immigration disclosures in detail. I would prefer to get a proper legal opinion from someone who has experience with complicated work-experience documentation before deciding whether to rely on it.