+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC MSP Waiting Period?

May 16, 2023
Hi everyone,

I received PR in Sept 2021 and was previously on PGWP so I had valid MSP prior to receiving PR. However, I left Canada to my home country shortly after receiving PR without getting a new BC services card.
Now I am planning on returning to BC in a few weeks and I am wondering when I go to ICBC to get my new BC services card, will I have to go through a 3 month waiting period? Because if so, I would need to purchase third party health insurance.

I have no idea if my MSP is still valid or not and as I wasn't sure how long I would be out of the country, I hadn't notified MSP of my whereabouts.

Appreciate if anyone has any ideas or similar experience. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I received PR in Sept 2021 and was previously on PGWP so I had valid MSP prior to receiving PR. However, I left Canada to my home country shortly after receiving PR without getting a new BC services card.
Now I am planning on returning to BC in a few weeks and I am wondering when I go to ICBC to get my new BC services card, will I have to go through a 3 month waiting period? Because if so, I would need to purchase third party health insurance.

I have no idea if my MSP is still valid or not and as I wasn't sure how long I would be out of the country, I hadn't notified MSP of my whereabouts.

Appreciate if anyone has any ideas or similar experience. Thanks!
You haven’t met the residency requirements to qualify for MSP so yes you’ll need to reapply and go through the waiting period again. Even if you have a valid MSP card you’d need to reapply. You also wouldn’t have qualified for a new MSP card if you didn’t plan on remaining in BC so it’s actually a good thing you didn’t apply for a new MSP card.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with the fact that you are required to notify MSP if you are planning on being outside of BC for an extended period of time. Would also suggest looking up the residency period required to qualify for MSP along with having a valid PR card so you are aware in the future. If you don’t meet the residency period and use your valid MSP card you can be charged for any healthcare used once MSP audits the files. Even if it sounds ridiculous to reapply for a new health card when you still have a health card that isn’t expired it is important to follow the rules and reapply so you have a valid health card and all the residency rules have been followed so there is zero chance that you could be asked to repay for any healthcare you used.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I recently became a PR and have an active MSP, paying 75 CAD a month. When should I stop paying for this?
You can’t just stop paying. You must contact MSP and provide proof that you are now a PR and they will change your account information.