+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bar To Sponsorship Question

jasperJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hello All,

I have a question related to Bar To Sponsorship (Section 5.28 of IP2 document).

If a person is convicted of a sexual offense or a violent offense against a family member, following applies to them:-

They are convicted of a sexual offence under the Criminal Code [against anyone]; or an offence [against the person] under the Criminal Code against a family member Sponsors or co-signers convicted of either of these offences where five years have not passed since the completion of the sentence imposed, cannot sponsor unless:
• for convictions in Canada, they have been pardoned or finally acquitted;
• for convictions outside Canada, they have shown, at least five years after the expiry of the sentence, that they have been rehabilitated, or there has been a final acquittal.

For the purposes of calculating the five-year period above, a sentence includes probation, suspended sentences and intermittent sentences. However, conditional discharges and absolute discharges should not be considered for the purposes of these provisions of IRPA.

What does the highlighted text implies?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello All,

I have a question related to Bar To Sponsorship (Section 5.28 of IP2 document).

If a person is convicted of a sexual offense or a violent offense against a family member, following applies to them:-

They are convicted of a sexual offence under the Criminal Code [against anyone]; or an offence [against the person] under the Criminal Code against a family member Sponsors or co-signers convicted of either of these offences where five years have not passed since the completion of the sentence imposed, cannot sponsor unless:
• for convictions in Canada, they have been pardoned or finally acquitted;
• for convictions outside Canada, they have shown, at least five years after the expiry of the sentence, that they have been rehabilitated, or there has been a final acquittal.

For the purposes of calculating the five-year period above, a sentence includes probation, suspended sentences and intermittent sentences. However, conditional discharges and absolute discharges should not be considered for the purposes of these provisions of IRPA.

What does the highlighted text implies?
1. They are not considered convictions.

jasperJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hi

1. They are not considered convictions.
First of all thank you for your response.

I am in same situation related to a violent offense and I know there will be questions regarding my conditional discharge. Do you think I have a possibility of getting approved to be a sponsor?