+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bankruptcy in UK

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
Hi all,

My permanent residency application is in progress having applied via the BC PNP. I have been in Canada for a few years now on various visitor extensions and work permits and recently found out that I have unpaid taxes at home in the UK. It's all my fault of course, but the amount they are asking for is way more than the tax I owe due to accrued fines, interest and assumed amounts for the years I have been absent. I have tried to set up a payment plan with them but they won't accept anywhere near what I can afford per month. I cannot get a loan to pay it because it has affected my credit rating in the UK. I am now seriously looking into declaring bankruptcy in the UK because every day the interest is building and fines are being issued twice a year. But I am worried about how that would affect my Canadian PR application. Does anyone know if this is something that they look at as part of the approval process?

Many thanks,

Concerned

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

My permanent residency application is in progress having applied via the BC PNP. I have been in Canada for a few years now on various visitor extensions and work permits and recently found out that I have unpaid taxes at home in the UK. It's all my fault of course, but the amount they are asking for is way more than the tax I owe due to accrued fines, interest and assumed amounts for the years I have been absent. I have tried to set up a payment plan with them but they won't accept anywhere near what I can afford per month. I cannot get a loan to pay it because it has affected my credit rating in the UK. I am now seriously looking into declaring bankruptcy in the UK because every day the interest is building and fines are being issued twice a year. But I am worried about how that would affect my Canadian PR application. Does anyone know if this is something that they look at as part of the approval process?

Many thanks,

Concerned
Are you sure that bankruptcy in the UK will discharge your tax liability? I have a feeling that this is an exception under UK law. You might want to double check.

I did find this information, so maybe you can do it.
https://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-debt/bankruptcy

Reactions: canuck78

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
Are you sure that bankruptcy in the UK will discharge your tax liability? I have a feeling that this is an exception under UK law. You might want to double check.

I did find this information, so maybe you can do it.
https://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-debt/bankruptcy
I haven't seen anything that says it doesn't. In fact HMRC can make you bankrupt. However I have learned over the past few days that because I haven't been in the UK for over 3 years, I can no longer submit for bankruptcy.