+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bank Account & Credit Card - Without reaching Canada

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by kn2172, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Hi All ,

I had a Question regarding opening first bank account and getting first credit card.

I have already landed in Canada & I have also got my PR cards.

But currently, I am out of Canada.

Queries :

1) Can I open a bank account before reaching Canada & start transactions? Which bank provides this facility?

2) Can I get a Credit card before reaching Canada & WHICH bank offers this facility?

Best Regards,
    KN

2. Most of the banks will only offer an account and card once you are here.

Having said that look for banks that have presence in Canada as well as your country, they might have cad accounts in your country (for ex. Td is present in Usa as well as Canada) from which you will be able to transfer money online.

Similarly amex will be eager to offer you a credit card in Canada based on relation in your home country, although application completion requires presence in Canada

3. HSBC do this sort ifvthing, but only for a premier account. Honestly, best to wait until you are actually in Canada

4. I forgot to ask earlier, what is your intention that requires opening account/card earlier? Which country are you moving in from?

5. You don’t want to set up all these banking accounts in Canada to minimize your chances of being a resident for tax purposes. Would suggest you wait until you arrive.

6. But can still maintain a non resident bank account.