+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ErickNL said:
It looks like I'll definitely have to transition to the high wage stream in my field of study if I want to become a PR. My current job (food counter attendant) offered to apply for a supervisory position, but I've been working there for almost 13 months now. By the time that that would be arranged I'd be at my 2 year cap already. It seems they are not messing around with the temporary bit.
Which province are you in? Why don't you apply for provincial nomination as a food counter attendant and then a bridging open work permit when you apply for PR. You can always get your promotion once you're a PR. Here's more info on the open work permit:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

mims2000

Sep 6, 2012
hi
i just want to ask, my friend is a cook in a restaurant and his work permit is expiring in nov 3., will he be affected with the new lmia rule if the employer wants to extend him,
thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mims2000 said:
hi
i just want to ask, my friend is a cook in a restaurant and his work permit is expiring in nov 3., will he be affected with the new lmia rule if the employer wants to extend him,
thanks
Yes. Unless he falls under the new International Mobility Program.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mims2000 said:
thanks for answering but forgive my ignorance what is international mobility program? thanks
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/reform/index.shtml

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mims2000 said:
thanks for answering but forgive my ignorance what is international mobility program? thanks
It's just a new name for all work programs that were LMO-exempt - that includes PGWP, IEC, NAFTA/Free trade programs...

If the position was not LMO-exempt before, then the new LMIA rules will definitely affect him...

mims2000

Sep 6, 2012
jes_ON said:
It's just a new name for all work programs that were LMO-exempt - that includes PGWP, IEC, NAFTA/Free trade programs...

If the position was not LMO-exempt before, then the new LMIA rules will definitely affect him...
thanks for replying. how long does the LMIA takes to be processed? if he wont be able to get it in time he should leave canada? or he can stay while waiting for the work permit?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mims2000 said:
thanks for replying. how long does the LMIA takes to be processed? if he wont be able to get it in time he should leave canada? or he can stay while waiting for the work permit?
Don't know yet...

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
attagirl said:
Im really confuse if this moratorium affects gas stations.
Hey, your inbox is full. Therefore, I can't reply to your private message. The site won't let me.

joanenriquez

Jan 7, 2014
Hi my husband working as a cook and his WP will be expired nxt year Aug 2015 , and I just came to canada as SOWP and i did not start to work yet. But my husband planning to change employer and also want to ask new LMO , my question is my SOWP will be affected if he will get a chance to change employer? Pls need anyone advice. Thank you.

Man415

Jul 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
Med's Request
10-02-14
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Passport Req..
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
joanenriquez said:
Hi my husband working as a cook and his WP will be expired nxt year Aug 2015 , and I just came to canada as SOWP and i did not start to work yet. But my husband planning to change employer and also want to ask new LMO , my question is my SOWP will be affected if he will get a chance to change employer? Pls need anyone advice. Thank you.
Yes as your SOWP depends on your husbands visa.I would suggest that your husband make sure that his lmia ( the new lmo ) is approved and were able to secure a new work permit before letting his current employer know as getting one and approved is difficult nowadays especially on low wage workers which is below the province median pay.

Sunhabb

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
NOC Code......
Hi guys im new here , please throw some lights on me . Im really stressed abt this new LMIA RULE . my fiance is in nepal and his agency has applied in some food sector in ALBERTA . He said he got a call frm agency saying that they got workpermit (dont know on his name or what) will know and write back again but teill then PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS NEW RULE SO that my fiance's money wont waste on that agency !

Does workpermit comes first or LMIA(lmo previously known ) ?
So if workpermit is issued in his name will LMIA be issued if the employer applies ? His work field is food industry either as kitchen helper, cook or server. ? I came to know there is SUSPENSION .. What is it exactly .. Not allowing TFW falling under food sector? PLEASE TELL ME ASAP SO THAT MY FIANCE WINT WASTE MONEY IN APPLYING TO GOING TO CANADA

And what is SWOP ?

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunhabb said:
Hi guys im new here , please throw some lights on me . Im really stressed abt this new LMIA RULE . my fiance is in nepal and his agency has applied in some food sector in ALBERTA . He said he got a call frm agency saying that they got workpermit (dont know on his name or what) will know and write back again but teill then PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS NEW RULE SO that my fiance's money wont waste on that agency !

Does workpermit comes first or LMIA(lmo previously known ) ?
So if workpermit is issued in his name will LMIA be issued if the employer applies ? His work field is food industry either as kitchen helper, cook or server. ? I came to know there is SUSPENSION .. What is it exactly .. Not allowing TFW falling under food sector? PLEASE TELL ME ASAP SO THAT MY FIANCE WINT WASTE MONEY IN APPLYING TO GOING TO CANADA

And what is SWOP ?
Dude, you got here really late. The suspension is long over.