+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steerpike said:
So you dont want more money? No one is going out of business just because they have to raise wages slightly. The did the same scare-mongering before the minimum wage was implemented, but it didn't effect anything. It's just one less gold-plated backscratcher for the owners. They will survive.
More money? Sure, I'd like more money if I'd have a job in Canada. But the government intends to set the bar on this wage floor so high that restaurants will be ineligible for getting LMOs. They're not increasing the minimum wages of Canadians or anything. They're trying to make it damn near impossible to hire foreign workers for jobs like restaurants. Let's say that they raise this wage floor to $20 an hour. Restaurants won't be able to pay that. They're just trying to find a subtle way of banning restaurants entirely.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadavisa13 said:
stopDA,

i think you are over reacting
How am I overreacting? If I'm overreacting, then the entire business community is overreacting because I'm going by what the news is reporting. They even said it in plain English that they're actively trying to make it damn near impossible for employers in the food service business to hire foreign workers. Their words are very worrisome and I doubt that I'm the only one "overreacting".

Also, it seems like Kenney really is dragging his feet on lifting this moratorium. He said that he will be "making an announcement on the TFW program in 4 to 5 weeks", but he's still being vague about exactly when he plans to lift the moratorium. Well, at least he gave us a solid time frame to work with. At least we now know not to expect anything for another 4 - 5 weeks. But after this, he still might not lift the moratorium and the new rules might not be in our favors. Seriously, this is orders of magnitude worse than waiting for any LMO.At least you can always re-try if an LMO is rejected. With this moratorium, you don't even have the opportunity to work at all, and your future in Canada is dependent on the whim of a single person.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
stopDA said:
How am I overreacting? If I'm overreacting, then the entire business community is overreacting because I'm going by what the news is reporting. They even said it in plain English that they're actively trying to make it damn near impossible for employers in the food service business to hire foreign workers. Their words are very worrisome and I doubt that I'm the only one "overreacting".

Also, it seems like Kenney really is dragging his feet on lifting this moratorium. He said that he will be "making an announcement on the TFW program in 4 to 5 weeks", but he's still being vague about exactly when he plans to lift the moratorium. Well, at least he gave us a solid time frame to work with. At least we now know not to expect anything for another 4 - 5 weeks. But after this, he still might not lift the moratorium and the new rules might not be in our favors. Seriously, this is orders of magnitude worse than waiting for any LMO.At least you can always re-try if an LMO is rejected. With this moratorium, you don't even have the opportunity to work at all, and your future in Canada is dependent on the whim of a single person.
StopDA, where do you read/watch the news from regarding the matter? Asking because I still haven't found a standard media updating on this regularly. For example didn't hear the 4-5 weeks at all. When did he say that?

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:
StopDA, where do you read/watch the news from regarding the matter? Asking because I still haven't found a standard media updating on this regularly. For example didn't hear the 4-5 weeks at all. When did he say that?
I get news from multiple provincial news media as well as CBC, Reuters and Huffington Post. As for the 4 - 5 weeks prediction, I got that from one of the Edmonton or Calgary Sun:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2014/05/20140518-080055.html

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stopDA said:
I get news from multiple provincial news media as well as CBC, Reuters and Huffington Post. As for the 4 - 5 weeks prediction, I got that from one of the Edmonton or Calgary Sun:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2014/05/20140518-080055.html
beholder69 said:
The 4 - 5 weeks seems to be 4 - 5 weeks since Kenney's review started. I had actually thought that it was 4 - 5 weeks from the date that news article appeared. I just came across an article by the Edmonton Journal which states that the announcement will be made in early June. Here it is:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Temporary+foreign+workers+should+allowed+move+here+labour+leader+says/9855855/story.html

Let's just hope that they're right about the early June thing. Kenney has told many concerned mayors and other political leaders that this review of his would take weeks rather than months. Well, 4 - 5 weeks from now would take us into the territory of months.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, it has now officially (for all intents and purposes) been one month since the beginning of the moratorium. The one-month mark is actually tomorrow night, but right now it's a Friday afternoon in Ottawa and Service Canada Centers are already closed for the day. Since the ban wasn't lifted today, this means that the moratorium will exceed one full calendar month. So much for Kenney's prediction of the review taking "weeks, not months". Weeks just turned into months less than an hour ago.

Kenney is becoming less vague about the date when he'll announce his changes to the program. He said that he'll announce his reforms as early as June, and just 3 days ago, he told some politician in Alberta that he'll announce his changes in a month. However, he didn't say anything about the moratorium being lifted at that time. He seems to be choosing his words very carefully when talking to people. I'm not sure whether I should take this to mean that the moratorium will be lifted before the end of June.

bcmattu

Oct 28, 2013
Bye Bye Guys :( :( :( :(

I am heading back to India, can't stay here without working. Don't know whats in luck for the future? But one day I shall come back. :) :) :)

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bcmattu said:
Bye Bye Guys :( :( :( :(

I am heading back to India, can't stay here without working. Don't know whats in luck for the future? But one day I shall come back. :) :) :)
I'm so sorry to hear that. This gives me ever more reason to be totally miffed off at Kenney.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
New article-
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ctv-news-channel/power-play-with-don-martin/don-martin-kenney-to-unveil-renamed-tfw-program-that-favours-skilled-workers-1.1835688

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intocanada said:
New article-
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ctv-news-channel/power-play-with-don-martin/don-martin-kenney-to-unveil-renamed-tfw-program-that-favours-skilled-workers-1.1835688
According to the article:

To that end, he will boost application fees for imported labour certificates and may impose pay premiums to neutralize the cost advantage of foreign help. Then he'll beef up monitoring to crack down on program abuses.
So, we're definitely going to see rising LMO fees but he might not impose that dreaded wage floor. Mandating a wage floor will be a really stupid move. All parties can agree on that. Even a liberal party member came out and said so. They know that it will ultimately cause Canadians to hate the government for forcing employers to pay foreign workers more money than Canadians for the same work.

I'm all for new enforcement measures that punish ONLY people who abuse the system. However, this new fee hike is a bit unsettling. If they raise the fee to $2325, then lots of people are screwed. If this new fee is raised beyond $500, then many of us are royally screwed.

Also, it seems like we'll be seeing the changes (whatever they might be) within the next 4 weeks. The federal government only has 4 weeks left to wrap up a lot of issues before the beginning of their summer recess. I doubt that they're going to dawdle about until the very last day, so it's safe to assume that the new rules will most likely be announced before June 9. Every day beyond this is increasingly more likely to be the day when these changes are announced. They have much bigger issues than the TFWP to worry about in these upcoming weeks, so they'll probably try to get this one out of the way really fast.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Regina said:
Why? because fast-food places owners usually pay less to foreign workers than they have to pay to locals? Is it a good practice to underpay to TFW?
I am just wondering if there is any evidence of this? Forgive my ignorance may be - but i have heard of this sooo many times but never actually found proof or a real first hand case.

Even if a few are found, do you think is it okay to generalize i.e. MOST / ALL temp foreign workers are paid less than what is paid to Canadians in similar position?

Whereas at least in terms of regulations an employer cannot do so as per rules for LMO. If he does that, he is committing fraud and should be prosecuted criminally.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jason Kenney's birthday is this Friday. It looks like we're definitely not going to see an end to the moratorium this week, whether Kenney finishes his reforms or not. People will complain about whatever changes he makes (or doesn't make) no matter what they are. It's best that he waits until after the weekend to announce his changes because he will be in for one hell of a birthday if he does it before then.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
More proof the TFW program has not been used properly by restaurants and other low-skill employers:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/thousands-of-foreign-workers-at-minimum-wage-approved-data-show/article18839911/