Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
zardoz said:
For a SOWP, you don't need an LMO, so I don't see how it would be a problem for you anyway.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
zardoz said:
It's entirely possible that the sentence in the announcement relates to employers that have an existing, pre-approved LMO "up their sleeves" for when they need it. I think Tim Hortons does this, for example.
That's interesting regarding Timmy's. My co-worker and I just came back from the nearby Timmy's and they always have people from various countries working there. Under their name, they have their country. I always thought it was kinda cool since the people rotate so you'd have staff from different countries all the time. I wondered what was going on, like it was some foreign training program for people who want to open up a Timmy's abroad (if they exist abroad).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Looking a little bit into this makes me think that the days of open LMOs at Timmies are long gone...

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
I have a feeling that broader suspensions are coming (outside of the food services sector)...There is a lot of backlash in the IT world as well....Suprisingly it is from Immigrants as well (PR's) who are losing out on jobs to Temp Foreign Workers....

Whatever the data may say we are in a global economic downturn and it is not going to get better any time soon....There are lots of citizens and PR's who are looking for jobs who losing out to TFW's...

I personally know a handful of people who are unable to get jobs because the employers prefer getting temp workers from abroad

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
txboyscout said:
I have a feeling that broader suspensions are coming (outside of the food services sector)...There is a lot of backlash in the IT world as well....Suprisingly it is from Immigrants as well (PR's) who are losing out on jobs to Temp Foreign Workers....

Whatever the data may say we are in a global economic downturn and it is not going to get better any time soon....There are lots of citizens and PR's who are looking for jobs who losing out to TFW's...

I personally know a handful of people who are unable to get jobs because the employers prefer getting temp workers from abroad
Yeah it seems that way i.e. broader suspensions. I think the reason of introducing "express entry" is also the same i.e. if an employer badly needs a skill set and has gotten approved LMO, then they can get the employee on PR faster thereby eliminating the twp program totally.

But there is another side to the story as well. I don't understand how - many very low skilled needed jobs get LMO approvals (may be Canadians don't want to work for those),
but there is a good deal of positions for which you don't have qualified Canadians simply and you cannot TRAIN people in limited time frames (in some cases, not even in longer periods).

I work for one such company (in IT), came on a twp and almost entire team in one specialty is of people from different parts of the world because there are almost NO Canadians with that experience. And our company has clients from US - who simply refuse to accept people "who could be trained". So they look for prior experience - period.

So Canada still needs such programs - they just need to make sure they really don't have that kind of people.

Jobs of the skill set i am talking about lie posted open on my company's web site through out the year. At least i have been seeing those now for almost 2 years. Since i also interview people - i know how rare it is. I am sure this is not the only case.

Just another perspective :)

Update: and for those IT guys, they should work harder on their own skills rather than bashing - Google always has open jobs in multiple locations in Canada as well as other companies. It is just damn hard to qualify their process

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
txboyscout said:
There is a lot of backlash in the IT world as well....Suprisingly it is from Immigrants as well (PR's) who are losing out on jobs to Temp Foreign Workers....
The irony is that I came to Canada sponsored by my Canadian employer on a temp work permit in the tech industry. There was a shortage of qualified engineers here because of the "brain-drain" to the US! Many Canadian tech workers moving to the US in droves to be.... temporary workers there. They called me a "reverse brain-drain" person... an American moving to Canada. This was during the tech boom in the start of the new millennium before the tech bubble burst. That was a big issue in Canada at the time, how to stop the "brain drain" and prevent the loss of talent to the US.

Of course because of NAFTA the effort to bring me here required less hoops (no LMO, etc), just like it was easy for Canadians to hop down south.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
I don't think that the ban will be extended to high skilled jobs like engineering, IT or doctors. They might target low skilled jobs, but it will have serious impact on economy. I personally think they will not do that. The opposition parties are also demanding ban only on tfw of low skilled jobs.

I was wondering how would a Canadian prepare Indian food items. Even if they train a Canadian for that, I would not dare to go into restaurant and eat.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Intocanada said:
I was wondering how would a Canadian prepare Indian food items. Even if they train a Canadian for that, I would not dare to go into restaurant and eat.
So far all the backlash are for places like Tim Horton's and McDonalds - western fastfood places. I'm sure they will restore the TFW for food service again but make it hard for places like McDonalds to get foreign workers while an indian restaurant would have an easier time.

However, I think you are harsh saying you dare not eat at an Indian restaurant where food preparers are non-Indian ethnicity (since there are many Canadians who are of Indian origin). One of my favorite Greek restaurants have many Sri Lankans working there, preparing the food. It's good and I have no issues eating there even though they have non-Greeks in the kitchen.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
Yes. The ban might get lifted. They might tighten the rules of lmo process and tfw process.

Regarding the food... What I meant was if they have hire Canadians for indian restaurants in so many restaurants in canada (as tfw is banned in fast food industry), its difficult to train Canadians. But I should have been elaborate. My mistake.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Intocanada said:
Yes. The ban might get lifted. They might tighten the rules of lmo process and tfw process.

Regarding the food... What I meant was if they have hire Canadians for indian restaurants in so many restaurants in canada (as tfw is banned in fast food industry), its difficult to train Canadians. But I should have been elaborate. My mistake.
Why would it be difficult to train Canadians? They're no more or less stupid than any other nationalties....

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well guys, my LMO came through this week after weeks of waiting. Now my name cannot be added to it because of this accursed moratorium. This suspension had better be temporary. Also, the government better not drag its feet with their review to lift the ban. And they better not make my employer re-apply for the LMO all over again after they introduce their new restrictions.

Jason Kenney really deserves a beatdown (figuratively speaking of course) for making the innocent suffer for the guilty with such a draconian move. I already read that one store in Nova Scotia is closing down already because of this and another in Alberta is cutting service on Mondays due to a lack of staff. There will be massive backlash from the small business and restaurant community. All other businesses should jump on this bandwagon because they very well might be next.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
stopDA said:
Well guys, my LMO came through this week after weeks of waiting. Now my name cannot be added to it because of this accursed moratorium. This suspension had better be temporary. Also, the government better not drag its feet with their review to lift the ban. And they better not make my employer re-apply for the LMO all over again after they introduce their new restrictions.

Jason Kenney really deserves a beatdown (figuratively speaking of course) for making the innocent suffer for the guilty with such a draconian move. I already read that one store in Nova Scotia is closing down already because of this and another in Alberta is cutting service on Mondays due to a lack of staff. There will be massive backlash from the small business and restaurant community. All other businesses should jump on this bandwagon because they very well might be next.
Exactly that, well said.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
Training Canadians infact any other country people(in any country) on preparing food is not going to be easy. If it was easy why would these guys hire people using tfw. This is just my opinion and let's leave this topic here. Lets discuss about the lmo or the program.

Regarding Canadians & Canada, I have very good impression. That is reason, I am in this forum.

prasanth remesh

Oct 16, 2013
am applied in house keeping for an LMO last month. is this news will affect my process. is house keeping in hotel is coming under food service industry too? please answer me….