+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intocanada said:
Seems like the tfw changes are just around the corner.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2014/05/01/kenney-preparing-to-tighten-rules-for-temporary-foreign-workers-program/
So there are going to be changes to the TFW program. The article says nothing about him lifting the moratorium when these changes are made.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here are answers to all your moratorium-related questions from Service Canada:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/q_a.shtml

beck29

May 2, 2014
hello everybody i received a positive lmo last march2014 from mcdonalds here in canada and the company applied for my work permit last march 18, 2014 is it possible that im greatly affected with the current tfw problem?

thanks!

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
stopDA said:
So there are going to be changes to the TFW program. The article says nothing about him lifting the moratorium when these changes are made.
They are keeping everyone on edge. Nobody is sure what changes will be brought in. Hopefully, the ban will be lifted.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
stopDA said:
Here are answers to all your moratorium-related questions from Service Canada:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/q_a.shtml
Good one @stopDA at least this helps all those guys who were about to travel and were already approved. Important info to share indeed.

neilnaq

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 9th, 2015
Doc's Request.
reminder email: Sept. 14, 2015
AOR Received.
EP: June 17th, 2015
IELTS Request
included upon submission
Med's Request
Sept. 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Sept. 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
In Canada since 2012
Does this moratorium affect temporary foreign workers already in Canada or about to come to Canada?

Temporary foreign workers already in Canada who have a valid work permit issued under a Food Services Sector LMO may continue working as per their present work permit conditions.

Temporary foreign workers who have been approved for a work permit by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) but have not yet arrived in Canada will not be affected. They will remain eligible for a work permit at a port of entry, if they are otherwise admissible to Canada.

Foreign nationals who have not yet had a decision made on their work permit application will be affected. Foreign nationals who submitted their work permit application prior to the suspension will be notified that their work permit application is suspended until a final decision is made on the LMO.

Foreign nationals who apply directly at a port of entry, a visa post or inland office for a work permit after their LMO has been suspended cannot be issued a work permit based on that LMO.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
What are you asking?

It is pretty clear in that explanation.

You are not affected if you are already in Canada OR if you have already been approved in your home country i.e. received an approval from local CIC embassy for work permit called "letter of introduction".

However, if you haven't applied for work permit yet or have applied but were in process (and belong to the affected NOCs), you won't be approved.

So for all those who had received visas and were landing soon, there is no problem at all. I don't know why some cases were cited for refusals.

But if you are going to travel shortly, perhaps taking a printout of this page along is a good idea.

neilnaq said:
Does this moratorium affect temporary foreign workers already in Canada or about to come to Canada?

Temporary foreign workers already in Canada who have a valid work permit issued under a Food Services Sector LMO may continue working as per their present work permit conditions.

Temporary foreign workers who have been approved for a work permit by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) but have not yet arrived in Canada will not be affected. They will remain eligible for a work permit at a port of entry, if they are otherwise admissible to Canada.

Foreign nationals who have not yet had a decision made on their work permit application will be affected. Foreign nationals who submitted their work permit application prior to the suspension will be notified that their work permit application is suspended until a final decision is made on the LMO.

Foreign nationals who apply directly at a port of entry, a visa post or inland office for a work permit after their LMO has been suspended cannot be issued a work permit based on that LMO.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm wondering if any of this indicates that they're planning to lift the moratorium soon.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
stopDA said:
I'm wondering if any of this indicates that they're planning to lift the moratorium soon.
I suspect so - bans like this won't last long IMHO. They would come up with some practices and stricter rules which would effectively slow down the entire process further. I don't know why more scrutiny always means more time. Any way, if you are asking for opinion, i think the ban won't last longer than a month or two. But that is just a gut feeling nothing more.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
I suspect so - bans like this won't last long IMHO. They would come up with some practices and stricter rules which would effectively slow down the entire process further. I don't know why more scrutiny always means more time. Any way, if you are asking for opinion, i think the ban won't last longer than a month or two. But that is just a gut feeling nothing more.
So you're saying that this moratorium is definitely not going to be permanent or last for months/years. If that's the case, then I won't have too much to complain about. However, it would be even better if Kenney lifts that moratorium before the end of this month. The busy summer season for restaurants is afoot. The way I see it, the longer he takes, the more unpopular he will become with small business owners and new immigrants. If he threw restaurants under the bus to score political points, then he better lift this moratorium to keep himself from losing even more voters in the restaurant and food service demographic. His electoral district of Calgary Southeast isn't going to be too happy with this ban. After all, Alberta uses the most TFWs in restaurants.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

stopDA said:
So you're saying that this moratorium is definitely not going to be permanent or last for months/years. If that's the case, then I won't have too much to complain about. However, it would be even better if Kenney lifts that moratorium before the end of this month. The busy summer season for restaurants is afoot. The way I see it, the longer he takes, the more unpopular he will become with small business owners and new immigrants. If he threw restaurants under the bus to score political points, then he better lift this moratorium to keep himself from losing even more voters in the restaurant and food service demographic. His electoral district of Calgary Southeast isn't going to be too happy with this ban. After all, Alberta uses the most TFWs in restaurants.
Well maybe the restaurants will have to hire citizens and PRs then?

mcbuang

May 2, 2014
Im belong in a food industry. I will work as a server somewhere in alberta, i told to my employer about the heresay that some workers didnt gave the wp when they attempt to enter in canada some also say had an airport to airport scenario. I dont know what my employer did but she said those people who sent back home had a wp not the same in their nature job, and also the friend of my friend also in a food industry just came yesterday in canada but she received her wp. Im still worried about my case because i already sent my resignation here in macau and they want me to secure my work in canada so that i can withdraw my resignation here as long as i still have a time. Do you think i can send an email directly to the immigration in canada? Work for me is very important ima breadwinner in my family.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mcbuang said:
Im belong in a food industry. I will work as a server somewhere in alberta, i told to my employer about the heresay that some workers didnt gave the wp when they attempt to enter in canada some also say had an airport to airport scenario. I dont know what my employer did but she said those people who sent back home had a wp not the same in their nature job, and also the friend of my friend also in a food industry just came yesterday in canada but she received her wp. Im still worried about my case because i already sent my resignation here in macau and they want me to secure my work in canada so that i can withdraw my resignation here as long as i still have a time. Do you think i can send an email directly to the immigration in canada? Work for me is very important ima breadwinner in my family.
Well you should have been clear now. It is stated on CIC's post referred earlier that if your local embassy has approved your visa / work permit, then you won't have a problem at the airport. Not at least due to this ban so you shouldn't have any thing to worry. Just carry all the docs and be vigilant. It only applies to those whose applications for LMO or work permit were still in process

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Well maybe the restaurants will have to hire citizens and PRs then?
Aren't the restaurants already trying their damndest to hire citizens and PRs to no avail? Even the premier of Alberta came out and demanded that the ban be lifted because he's afraid that it's going to force restaurants to go back to the times when service was really slow and unreliable due to shortstaffing.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
fkl said:
I know it's difficult to answer but lmo's which are getting processed now, will they get impacted? Any guesses? If impacted, I would lose at least 4weeks of processing time.