+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad interview experience - help, please!

lonleyplanet1995

Jan 13, 2018
Dear experts
I need your advice
Some time ago I had my citizenship interview. I was interviewed by (I guess) a supervisor. The officer took me thru a long corridor to some office, although most other applicants were interviewed in a common area. I wasn't the only one interviewed by this officer - there were I think 3-4 more applicants in our "unlucky" group.
The officer didn't directly accuse me of anything, however, the officer tried to find several weak points in my application, and the questions went as follows:

some introductory hello

Officer: Do you have a second name?
Me: huh?
Officer: look - in your passport, in the "name" column there are 2 words in your native alphabet. But in English alphabet, there's only 1 name
Me: well, I didn't make my passport myself! This is how my country writes names in English. Very standard. Not my choice! I do have a middle name in my language, but it has not been translated into English in ANY of my documents. I have no proof that it's X or Y or Z!
Officer: why didn't you bring today the official translation of the first page of your passport?
Me: I've asked the translator to translate everything in my passport - he said the first page never needs to be translated into English
Officer: not true. all Canadian translators know that the first page needs to be translated
(at this point I conclude that this officer is just full of $hit, and just tries to be strict and official, diligent and all, but really knows nothing!
I mean - I went thru my entire adult life in Canada - visa, PR - my passports have been looked at a million times, and this is the first time anyone in Canada asks me about my middle name. None of my landing documents have my middle name)

So, basically, the officer requested me to mail the translation of my birth certificate and the translation of the first page of my passport.

Fine, whatever!

Next, I go to my lawyer (who is my official representative for this application). He says - oh, this is very strange and unique, I've never seen it. We must wait for the letter from CIC with the official request for extra documents, and only then we'll reply.

My problem - it's already been some time since the interview! My ECAS status hasn't updated. I haven't received any letters, the lawyer hasn't received any letters.

Lawyer says - wait. But I disagree with him!

PS: worst lawyer EVER. Only cares about 2 things - not to lose his license, and not to overwork, so for him, the best choice is just not do anything. For me - obviously not doing anything isn't a very good choice.

Dear experts - what do I do now?
Myself - I'm very inclined to just forget about the lawyer's advice to wait and mail the two documents, once I get my birth certificate.
but the lawyer could be useful in writing a cover letter, explaining that this is very common for at least 5 or 6 countries that I know of, etc.

my second question is a bit more general - what's going to happen to my application? Am I heading for an RQ?

Thank you all!
you didn't need a lawyer from the start , you will need a lawyer in bad situations and it's hard to find a smart one with experience . maybe you better call saul !

Reactions: CAforCA

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
you didn't need a lawyer from the start , you will need a lawyer in bad situations and it's hard to find a smart one with experience . maybe you better call saul !
:p That is a good idea Hiesenburg