Background Checks -EXPLAINED >>>

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

In Process means that your app is past the eligibility review process and has gone into further proceedings e;g background/security checks.....

I guess rest of the answers should be given by QORAX...

ash_1967 said:
Dear Qorax,

Kindly resolve my query?

Please tell me what is the exact meaning of "In Process"? Does it mean when ones status shows "In Process" then All the docs which CHC received are sufficient/in order and CHC does not required any more docs, Interview is waived, No fear about 120 days lock in period?

I am just asking as My IELTS got expired on 15th of Jan-10 but I submitted my intial docs to CIC, NS on 27th of October-09 but in Ecas it is showing that they received on 8/1/10. I got one call from VO on 13th May-10 inquiring about my foreign visit which I had made in the year 2007 to Canada, from wife and asking about my company name and also asked about the company on the behalf I applied my Visa, Actually my current company name is different with the company from which I applied my visa in the year 2007 as it is the sister concern of my current company in which I am working form last 16 years which reference I have already given in my job experience letter. Now I got my ecas changed to "In Process" on 17th of May-10 in which they mentioned they start processing my file on 13th May-10 the day when they called at my residence telephone number after I got their call missed on same day.

I am worried would they asked fresh one IELTS Certificate or would they conser previous one? What do you think is my background check is on? When can I expect the medical? Should I will ask more docs or IELTS as 120 days lock-n-period is going end on 01st of July-10

Kindly resolve my query too as you are having great knowledge and experienced one what I think?

Kindly express your view?

Thanks

Ash_1967

Kellys

Star Member
Mar 26, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Visa Office......
London :)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Dec 2009
AOR Received.
28 Jan 2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
In Process - 7th April 2010
Med's Request
Docs arrived in Canada April 28th
Med's Done....
07/May/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06/July/10
VISA ISSUED...
20/July/10
LANDED..........
27/August/10
Brilliant Qorax. That has answered so many questions for us. :

qorax said:
Background & Security Checks

Note: Our Background Check comprises of 2 parts:
1. The Standard Documentation Checks,
2. The Security & Criminality Checks.

Standard Documentation Checks:
Our background check is done at the CHC stage. It commences the moment our file gets the 1st BFD by the VO. An indicator of which is the e-CAS that shows "In Progress". All docs been checked & our NOC being tallied against the MI, if the VO finds our case 'eligible' for Canadian PR, the file becomes 'Accepted'; and then it goes for standard background checks, viz. Exp, Quals, Adaptability, Qualitative Considerations etc.

The process involves many things. If our case file is well presented and the enclosures vouch the quality-quantity, adequate POF docs etc., there might not be a requirement of 'actually' calling the employers, references etc. The VOs have a way with that, they are experienced enough to ascertain the logical disposition of our case. But, if there are any concerns of his/her, s/he is likely to ask for additional docs, do further scrutiny vide any means [calling, visiting etc.] & might ask for an Interview.

-Culmination: When 'fully' satisfied, we get the 'Medical Request'.
-Timeframe: Can be anything around 3-8* months, for the 'fast track' system (Avg. 4-5 months).
-eCAS: Continues to Show 'In Process'.
*The older system has a queue, thus can be longer.

Security & Criminality Checks:
A part of the b/ground checks is the 'Security Check'. It commences after our med results are submitted to the CHC. This is a major activity -mainly concerning our 'safe inclusion' into the Canadian Soil; vis-a-vis, Political, Socio-Econmical, Anti-Social disposition, perceived Threat to Canada's integrity etc. This gets us the SDEC, CDEC & SECCRIM.

This is a serious & time-consuming stage, involving many agencies, including CSIS, Interpol, NASC, Database Checking & touch-base with Local Police. Many things are considered here... the No. of countries visited, Applicant coming from 'certain' countries, ex-Servicemen [including Law Enforcement services], Prolonged stay in a country w/out sufficient docs to prove cause, frequent traveling to certain nations, your *Name (?), Inter-Religion/Nationality Marriages etc.

If everything is simple & straight, the file soon gets into the 'final review' stage. If there are any 'red flags', our case goes into a 'spin'. Then our file might go to the local Police/CID agencies; the outcome/timeframe of which is beyond the control of CIC. And thereby the timeframe can be anything [sometimes beyond 1yr]. But, usually this stage should be over by 5 months max. However, a point to be noted is that we can also be called for an Interview [at this stage], due to this reason.

-Culmination: Only upon security clearance we receive the PPR.
-Timeframe: Around 2-6 months. Avg. 3 months. [With new system, sometimes PPR is clubbed with Meds]
-eCAS: Still 'In Process', but 'Med Results Recd.' inside.

*Yes, that's how a certain Mr. Sharukh Khan was detained for 4.5 hrs in an US port. He was a VIP, thus 4.5 hrs. For u & me -things could be different.
The Process in a Nutshell:

Stage-1: [CIO stage] Send Initial Apps+Processing Fees to CIO-NS > Qualitative Check > Issue of AOR+120 days Letter >

Stage-2: [CHC stage onwards] Send Full Docs+RPRF to the Local Visa Office > File on Queue > e-Cas: "Received by Visa Office" > Eligibility Check+PSDEC > Issue of 2nd AOR > Background Check > Issue of Additional docs Request [if any] > 1st BF'D > e-Cas: "In Process" > Send Addnl. Docs > Issue of Med Request > 2nd BF'D >

Stage-3: Meds Sent > e-Cas: "Medical Results Recd." > Issue of PPR* > Send Passport/s > Security Check > Visa/s Stamped > e-Cas: "Decision Made" >
*The Meds & PPR are sometimes 'clubbed' together.

Stage-4: Return of 'Stamped' Passport/s+COPR > Landing at the POE > e-Cas: "Completed".

Qorax

ash_1967

Jul 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
1231 (1111)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2009
Doc's Request.
01-03-2010
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
01-03-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done on 15/01/2009 and submitted with full docs to Visa Office on 12/03/2010
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Request
01-06-2010 (Received by My Lawyer in Canada on 15-06-2010)
Med's Done....
26-06-2010 and Medical & Passports Sent on 28-06-2010 which Recd by CHC on 29-06-2010
Interview........
Waived by grace of God
Passport Req..
01-06-2010 (Received by My Lawyer in Canada on 15-06-2010)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on 22nd and issued on 22/07/2010 and Received on 24/07/2010 by grace of God
LANDED..........
Still not decided
Dear Qorax,

Kindly resolve my query?

Please tell me what is the exact meaning of "In Process"? Does it mean when ones status shows "In Process" then All the docs which CHC received are sufficient/in order and CHC does not required any more docs, Interview is waived, No fear about 120 days lock in period?

I am just asking as My IELTS got expired on 15th of Jan-10 but I submitted my intial docs to CIC, NS on 27th of October-09 but in Ecas it is showing that they received on 8/1/10. I got one call from VO on 13th May-10 inquiring about my foreign visit which I had made in the year 2007 to Canada, from wife and asking about my company name and also asked about the company on the behalf I applied my Visa, Actually my current company name is different with the company from which I applied my visa in the year 2007 as it is the sister concern of my current company in which I am working form last 16 years which reference I have already given in my job experience letter. Now I got my ecas changed to "In Process" on 17th of May-10 in which they mentioned they start processing my file on 13th May-10 the day when they called at my residence telephone number after I got their call missed on same day.

I am worried would they asked fresh one IELTS Certificate or would they conser previous one? What do you think is my background check is on? When can I expect the medical? Should I will ask more docs or IELTS as 120 days lock-n-period is going end on 01st of July-10

Kindly resolve my query too as you are having great knowledge and experienced one what I think?

Thanks

Ash_1967

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ash_1967 said:
Dear Qorax,

Kindly resolve my query?

Thanks

Ash_1967
One thing everyone must understand that the e-cas is not our Case Progress Record. It's just a guideline that generally suggests where our application stand as in 3 stages only:

1. Apps received,
2. The case is under processing,
3. A decision has been made concerning our application.

The 'in process' is the maximum time our apps shall be in, while a 'decision made' would only occur once our Visa/s r stamped or there's [unfortunately] a 'rejection'. The only interim report we might get under 'in process' is when the CHC receives our Med reports -after it has been ratified by Ottawa. Then it starts showing 'Med Results Received' -inside the 'in process'.

So, while at 'in process' [which stays put the longest] we have no recourse to find out what is happening, under what situation our file is, how [further] it is progressing etc. And, at most times, frustration sets in.

Moreover, the e-cas is not generated by our VOs, neither at the CHC level. It is done by the MIS cell at Ottawa. As per the SOP of the CIC, the VO needs to inform 'on system' the above 3 situations [only] to the MIS cell. And they generate the e-cas accordingly.

When 'in process' commences:
When the VO 'accepts' our file -that is, once s/he has a cursory check that all documentation is correct & we match the point requirements, s/he updates on the system that the file is being put under b/ground check. Then the MIS cell puts-up the 'in process' banner. It 'only' means that b/ground checks r going on. It doesn't mean that all is completed, we might be asked for any further docs yet & might land-up an interview as well. It's all part of the b/ground check process.

When the 'decision made' comes-up:
Down the line, during any stage of the b/ground check, if the VO disapproves a case file, s/he intimates same 'online'; & then the MIS cell flags-up the 'decision made' banner.
OR
When, after receiving the pps [after meds]; and once the Security Check returns a 'go ahead', the VO forwards our pps to the PHEP section [in the CHC]. As they stamp the visa/s & the Program Director's sign & 'sticker' is placed on the Visa/s & COPR, they update 'online' a 'PHEP complete' report. Hence the e-cas changes to 'decision made'.

Note:
Now, with the various sections & offices involved, the e-cas might take time to update from the date of actual action. And there could be admin laxity, overlogging etc, that might also delay the e-cas update. or there could be 'Errors' as well. So, it is actually Not a very reliable tool to check our case progress. Plus, it is a very generic data, which doesn't perfectly relate to our case progress. Thus, in cases of inordinate delays, it's always wise to obtain our CAIPS Notes.

I hope the foregoing clarified some aspects of the e-cas.

Good luck.
Qorax

Reactions: dpinsent and hayuuu

Canadian4U

May 12, 2010
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Qorax,

I have a query relating to this process only.

I have sent my full docs to CHC ND on 08th May, 2010 and as per courier records the same delivered on 11th May, 2010.

Till date I haven't received the 2nd AOR also ecas not updated as "Docs Received".

I am checking cases on this forum there are couple of applicant whose ecase status changed and also there is one applicant who send docs 02 days prior to me has got the second AOR.

Do I need to worry about by docs? Do I need to check the same with CHC ND.

Your views pls.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Canadian4U said:
Hi Qorax,

I have a query relating to this process only.

I have sent my full docs to CHC ND on 08th May, 2010 and as per courier records the same delivered on 11th May, 2010.

Till date I haven't received the 2nd AOR also ecas not updated as "Docs Received".

I am checking cases on this forum there are couple of applicant whose ecase status changed and also there is one applicant who send docs 02 days prior to me has got the second AOR.

Do I need to worry about by docs? Do I need to check the same with CHC ND.

Your views pls.

Regards
Due to overbooked situation, sometimes, the 2nd AOR might take time. Say 1-2 months. I'd suggest, wait some more & u'll be thru with it. No action from your end is envisaged at this early stage.

Regards,
Qorax

Canadian4U

May 12, 2010
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Qorax. Unable to give +1 due to time frame constrain.

I wanted your name with +1000(As of now which is 325 approx).

All - We should give due credit whenever we feel that our query is properly addressed.

Thanks mate.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Canadian4U said:
Thanks Qorax. Unable to give +1 due to time frame constrain.

I wanted your name with +1000(As of now which is 325 approx).

All - We should give due credit whenever we feel that our query is properly addressed.

Thanks mate.

Regards
I stand flattered my friend.

All the best & good luck.

Qorax

kazkaz

Dec 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
Dear Qorax,
Please guide that it is OK to contact about my application status now as my medical was reached to CHC ND on 5 feb 2010, since then nothing heard? Ecas is "In process".
PLZ reply

Alborz

Apr 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May, 2009
Doc's Request.
June, 2009
AOR Received.
Oct., 2009
File Transfer...
July, 2009
Med's Request
?
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Thank you Qorax!

You are an asset to the forum.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. Buddha

:) :) :)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
kazkaz said:
Dear Qorax,
Please guide that it is OK to contact about my application status now as my medical was reached to CHC ND on 5 feb 2010, since then nothing heard? Ecas is "In process".
PLZ reply
Yes dear, Plz send an enquiry mail to them asap. It'd be perfectly fine now.

All the best.
Qorax

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
Hi Qurax,

I joined this site to get an idea on the processing times. I am sure u can enlighten us more.
My case - I have a 1 yr post grad study here then 1 yr of work exp on a post grad work permit + 2 years on work exp on a LMO from service canada with the same company...i don't know what makes the applications being processed faster than the other.

Below are my details:

Category.: FSW1
Visa Office.: Buffalo
NOC Code.: 0213
App. Filed.: 05-08-2009 (NS - CIO)
App rcvd..: at NS: 10-08-2009
Pre-Assessed.: 30-09-2009
Docs recd..: 14-01-2010 (Buffalo)
Acc recd..: 11-03-2010
File Transfer.: 11-05-2010 (NY)
Awaiting Med

can you suggest how long it would take as per your experience to receive a mail for medicals. I know it has to do with the processing at VO and the clarify in the documents submitted. I just wanted to know your thoughts since you have been dealing with issues/ concerns from a lot of applicants.

Thanks in advance!!

JANU 2010

May 27, 2010
hi Qurax, please please advise me what to do

Actully i got medical request and my problm is that i changed my job on wrk permit 2 months ago even got new visa stamped on my PP but when i asked my employer for reference letter he said no as per company policy is for 3months probation period,so i waited for 2 months time to do all updates together for job , address, employer,lomo,wrk peremit along with my reference letter .

But last week i got medical request and landing fees request from visa post and THEY DONT ASK FOR "NO OTHER DOCUMENT REQUIRED "
ON MEDICAL FORM ,PLZ SUGEEST ME, i did my medicals last week ,but still i have not updated my file and i m completing 3 months next month(_soo i can get reference letter ) , as i changed employer and city , plz advise me what to do, now i have 2 visas on my Passport 1 old job on basis of which i applied my immegration as FSW and 1 new visa for current job which is not updated yet , i m soo confused plz advise me what to do ,
Is it too late to inform visapost .and if i inform does it take more time for process or have any bad effect on my case ????????

Plz advise me
thanks

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Dear Quorax,
In your opinion when and if we send queries about our status - does it set back the processing of the application.
It seems that my background checks may be extensive; I have visited four countries in the past ten years and have been a student in US for about seven years now (Masters and PhD).
Judging from your posts and my own understanding of background checks, I fear I am in for a long wait.
I did not want to make it longer with my queries.
Any thoughts?