+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check processing time

wvanderlinden

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
IRCC Vancouver have received my fingers print more than a month ago and the last update I got was "We received your fingerprint information on ********* and will review them shortly. Thank you!", usually how long it takes for them to complete the process? And what else they needs to check my background besides having my fingerprints results?

I'd appreciate your inputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: elbob

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
IRCC has always referred to the current processing time of 24 months posted on the website. We can only guess based on other applicants' experiences. And without knowing your timeline there's no way to even guess. There's nothing stopping you from traveling or applying for visas though

wvanderlinden

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
IRCC has always referred to the current processing time of 24 months posted on the website. We can only guess based on other applicants' experiences. And without knowing your timeline there's no way to even guess. There's nothing stopping you from traveling or applying for visas though
Yeah, I understand the process could take 24 months but I'm just only referring to the background check process, Vancouver office have received my fingerprints already, what other info they need to complete my BG check beside having my fingerprints results?

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, I understand the process could take 24 months but I'm just only referring to the background check process, Vancouver office have received my fingerprints already, what other info they need to complete my BG check beside having my fingerprints results?
On IRCC knows. We here don't have access to your application. If IRCC wants any thing more they'll ask you. The only thing you can do is wait unless you have an urgent request

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
IRCC Vancouver have received my fingers print more than a month ago and the last update I got was "We received your fingerprint information on ********* and will review them shortly. Thank you!", usually how long it takes for them to complete the process? And what else they needs to check my background besides having my fingerprints results?

I'd appreciate your inputs.
Background checks consist of security and criminality, which are different. Fingerprints relate to the latter and depending on the outcome of the FP report, may be updated to passed. You can try asking IRCC on the phone if criminality has been passed. You can also apply for GCMS notes from IRCC via ATIP which should confirm this.

Reactions: wvanderlinden

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Background checks consist of security and criminality, which are different. Fingerprints relate to the latter and depending on the outcome of the FP report, may be updated to passed. You can try asking IRCC on the phone if criminality has been passed. You can also apply for GCMS notes from IRCC via ATIP which should confirm this.
There is a certain point in an application where the best thing to do is wait. The fact that they are seeing movement in their application indicates that it is indeed in progress. Calling or requesting GCMS notes now is not necessary. It's almost impossible to get a person to speak to on the phone and GCMS notes are taking a long time to process. Plus it's closer to the holidays and I will assume that the staff would be taking breaks at this time too. Expect increased speed after the holidays

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Why does criminality take longer than security? I am a stay home mom for the past 5 years. And my application is stuck on criminality.

Reactions: elbob

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
There is a certain point in an application where the best thing to do is wait. The fact that they are seeing movement in their application indicates that it is indeed in progress. Calling or requesting GCMS notes now is not necessary. It's almost impossible to get a person to speak to on the phone and GCMS notes are taking a long time to process. Plus it's closer to the holidays and I will assume that the staff would be taking breaks at this time too. Expect increased speed after the holidays
Agreed, but if it helps OP to feel less stressed, he may want to put in the request at some point. But certainly, requesting notes isn't going to speed things up.

wvanderlinden

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Criminality check passed, stuck with security! weird as I didn't leave the country for the past 5 years and my last name is very unique too

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
No, I have no idea, I got this info tru the phone. I ordered GCMS notes mid of October 2022 and still waiting for it.
You can ask them on the phone when your security screening started. In my case it was shortly before test invite. 6+ months for security is normally very rare but it seems has become quite common. There's no public information as to whether IRCC are referring more cases for enhanced screening than normal, nor how CSIS is managing the backlog. I've seen Urgent processing applicants get long pending background approved in days.. thus, the long background processing delays for innocent cases (no security risks) are unwarranted and totally avoidable.

Reactions: wvanderlinden