+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check for visa applicants

Slimjuan

Jun 19, 2018
is there any way for Canada to know if someone has commited or convicted of a crime in their country of residence/citizenship? In my case, i am a Colombian citizen and i had to voluntarily leave United States for a DUI. Now i live im Colombia. Is there a background check where they can see if the applicant has commited a crime in a different country from their residence ? Would they know that i was in United States in the past ? Or could i say no to any criminal crimes since i haven’t committed any in the country where I’m a citizen. Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
is there any way for Canada to know if someone has commited or convicted of a crime in their country of residence/citizenship?
IRCC can seek information, including police records and convictions, from any country of residence/country of citizenship of an applicant.

In my case, i am a Colombian citizen and i had to voluntarily leave United States for a DUI. Now i live im Colombia. Is there a background check where they can see if the applicant has commited a crime in a different country from their residence ?
Yes

Would they know that i was in United States in the past ?
The US and Canada share information. IRCC will have access to your US stay and history.

Or could i say no to any criminal crimes since i haven’t committed any in the country where I’m a citizen. Thanks.
Declaration of crimes is not limited to only the country of citizenship, but in any country that the applicant visited/traveled to/lived.

If you answer 'No' to this question + if you do not give the details for your DUI, you will most likely get a 5-years' ban for misrepresentation. You would not want to go down this path as it will completely mess up your future travel to any country, not just to Canada.

Also, depending on when you were convicted for DUI, you are most probably criminally inadmissible to Canada