+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bachelors of Business from Korean University

tina111188

Jul 16, 2014
My fiance (m, Korean, 28) and I (f, Canadian, 26) are planning to move to Calgary at the end of this year. He has a business degree from a top school in Korea, but we're very worried about what kind of job he'll be able to get in Canada as international degrees don't tend to get recognized. He doesn't have many years of formal employment as he has just graduated from university, but has experience working for the USA army and studying abroad in USA and Australia. We are thinking that he first get some Canadian certification while working part-time to gain some Canadian work experience first.. He is fluent in English and speaks multiple languages, like Chinese and Japanese, at varying levels of fluency. Would moving to Canada be a huge mistake for us? Are there certain certificates or training programs that would be helpful for him to get a foot in the door? Thanks in advance.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Personally I thought most Canadians end up in Korea to save money. It could be a huge mistake for both of you.

I would stay in Korea/Asia.

Do you teach English in Korea? Personally I think there are a lot more opportunities for both of you in Asia.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
tina111188 said:
My fiance (m, Korean, 28) and I (f, Canadian, 26) are planning to move to Calgary at the end of this year. He has a business degree from a top school in Korea, but we're very worried about what kind of job he'll be able to get in Canada as international degrees don't tend to get recognized. He doesn't have many years of formal employment as he has just graduated from university, but has experience working for the USA army and studying abroad in USA and Australia. We are thinking that he first get some Canadian certification while working part-time to gain some Canadian work experience first.. He is fluent in English and speaks multiple languages, like Chinese and Japanese, at varying levels of fluency. Would moving to Canada be a huge mistake for us? Are there certain certificates or training programs that would be helpful for him to get a foot in the door? Thanks in advance.
That is the way to go. Study something related to his area of expertise, the higher studies and the most recognized school the better (being a masters degree the most recomended). Then he can apply for an entry job and in a few years he can be aiming for good salaries.

I would personally stay in Korea.... reason? I love the kimchi :)

jrandom

Jul 19, 2014
It's business, nobody will care.
They are only strict on medical, lawyers, engineers, anything requiring official certification. You can learn business out of a book so just talk your way through the interview.

He can easily get a job in Calgary at one of the hundreds of oil companies that are looking for analysts and managers.
For example look at TRICAN or Aramco or other oil company web site, click careers and look at open positions in Calgary. Tons of 'Jr Business Analyst' positions. Seriously Calgary is full of these kinds of business jobs where often they give you an opportunity to go overseas to Norway or Africa/Middle East to oversee operations there for gigantic money.

May 30, 2014
If it is easy to find an analyst job in Calgary, then Sierra Leone will become world's largest economy in 2020 and Bujumbura will receive more visitors than Paris.
Trying Alberta job market only increases the chances of getting a good job compared to overcrowded Toronto and Montreal, but does not make anything easy. I am saying this as business analyst working in Alberta presently. However it took me almost 2 years to get this job. I graduated from three world's top-100 universities with distinction, including 2 British universities. Fluent in both official languages of Canada and with excellent references from IMF and UN consultants, I spent almost 2 years on unskilled customer service jobs on minimum wage before getting to this point. And many of my former colleagues, also graduates of best schools including McGill, London School of Economics etc. are still on survival jobs and even doing security agent courses. All of us are full-scale permanent residents with no work permit requirements.
As I had nowhere to return, I stayed and tolerated all hardships, but I am not sure where a Korean citizen will find motivation to go through all steps before settling down on a good position.

jrandom said:
It's business, nobody will care.
They are only strict on medical, lawyers, engineers, anything requiring official certification. You can learn business out of a book so just talk your way through the interview.

He can easily get a job in Calgary at one of the hundreds of oil companies that are looking for analysts and managers.
For example look at TRICAN or Aramco or other oil company web site, click careers and look at open positions in Calgary. Tons of 'Jr Business Analyst' positions. Seriously Calgary is full of these kinds of business jobs where often they give you an opportunity to go overseas to Norway or Africa/Middle East to oversee operations there for gigantic money.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Alirezasajjadi said:
If it is easy to find an analyst job in Calgary, then Sierra Leone will become world's largest economy in 2020 and Bujumbura will receive more visitors than Paris.
Trying Alberta job market only increases the chances of getting a good job compared to overcrowded Toronto and Montreal, but does not make anything easy. I am saying this as business analyst working in Alberta presently. However it took me almost 2 years to get this job. I graduated from three world's top-100 universities with distinction, including 2 British universities. Fluent in both official languages of Canada and with excellent references from IMF and UN consultants, I spent almost 2 years on unskilled customer service jobs on minimum wage before getting to this point. And many of my former colleagues, also graduates of best schools including McGill, London School of Economics etc. are still on survival jobs and even doing security agent courses. All of us are full-scale permanent residents with no work permit requirements.
As I had nowhere to return, I stayed and tolerated all hardships, but I am not sure where a Korean citizen will find motivation to go through all steps before settling down on a good position.
Depends on the field.

I found my first job within a month (Edmonton) and the second within 5 weeks (in Calgary, because I was too picky). Basically that is the story of all my friends who as me are immigrants.

tina111188

Jul 16, 2014
Jalex23 said:
Depends on the field.

I found my first job within a month (Edmonton) and the second within 5 weeks (in Calgary, because I was too picky). Basically that is the story of all my friends who as me are immigrants.
What field are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

My fiance has a general business admin degree and doesn't have any specialization yet. He has just graduated from university in Korea (because of the mandatory 2 year military service) and hasn't worked in a business setting yet. Would his chances improve if he seeked for a more specialized route in Canada by obtaining a certificate or something?

tina111188

Jul 16, 2014
mrbeachman said:
Personally I thought most Canadians end up in Korea to save money. It could be a huge mistake for both of you.

I would stay in Korea/Asia.

Do you teach English in Korea? Personally I think there are a lot more opportunities for both of you in Asia.
Yes, I teach English in Korea. I've been here for 3 years and frankly, I am tired of the busy and overly competitive life here. Money's good, but I don't think I'd like to raise kids here where they'll have to fight among hundreds of thousands of others to get into a good university and to land a position at a decent company. Quality of life here is no where as good as Canada, imo.. so we are really considering about moving to Canada.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
tina111188 said:
What field are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
IT

tina111188 said:
My fiance has a general business admin degree and doesn't have any specialization yet. He has just graduated from university in Korea (because of the mandatory 2 year military service) and hasn't worked in a business setting yet. Would his chances improve if he seeked for a more specialized route in Canada by obtaining a certificate or something?
It is not about being "more specialized" it is about having studies that are recognized by Canadian employers. Yes, his chances will improve a lot if he attends at least a 1 year program.

I am not that aware of business but I do know it is quite crowded.