+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born outside to Legal parent Canadian citizen

siddartha

Oct 23, 2011
Hi Team,
I'm Canadian citizen but My baby born in India.How do I apply the Canadian Passport and Citizenship Certificate for my child, can you plz give the list of the documents and what is the process? Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Team,
I'm Canadian citizen but My baby born in India.How do I apply the Canadian Passport and Citizenship Certificate for my child, can you plz give the list of the documents and what is the process? Thank you
You'll have to apply for proof of Citizenship first before you can apply for your baby's passport. This process takes a while (15 months is the standard processing time as per IRCC website).

Start here =>

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5

siddartha

Oct 23, 2011
Hi sir
I didn't apply visa for my wife ,So can i apply the PR Both?
If I apply the separately Canadian citizen certificate for my baby, my baby's birth place won't change in the baby passport from india to canada right?

What do you suggest sir, do I apply separate PR for my wife and Citizenship certificate for my baby? which would be the best answer to bring canada ASAP?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi sir
I didn't apply visa for my wife ,So can i apply the PR Both?
If I apply the separately Canadian citizen certificate for my baby, my baby's birth place won't change in the baby passport from india to canada right?

What do you suggest sir, do I apply separate PR for my wife and Citizenship certificate for my baby? which would be the best answer to bring canada ASAP?
1, You apply to sponsor your wife and apply for "proof of citizenship" for your baby.
2. If you haven't received the proof of citizenship before your wife"s sponsorship is finalized, then you apply for a limited validity passport for the child. Probably should apply for it at the same time as proof of citizenship, due to processing delays these days.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, if a child of a naturalized Canadian citizen is born outside Canada, would the child be eligible for Canadian citizenship directly without first applying for PR? Someone said in the above thread that processing of proof of citizenship certificates takes around 15 months. So does that mean the child cannot legally be in Canada until the processing of proof of citizenship? In case the parent can bring the child legally in Canada, how can the child stay in Canada on a legal basis before getting the citizenship certificate?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi, if a child of a naturalized Canadian citizen is born outside Canada, would the child be eligible for Canadian citizenship directly without first applying for PR? Someone said in the above thread that processing of proof of citizenship certificates takes around 15 months. So does that mean the child cannot legally be in Canada until the processing of proof of citizenship? In case the parent can bring the child legally in Canada, how can the child stay in Canada on a legal basis before getting the citizenship certificate?
1. Temporary limited validity passport or facilitation visa on home country passport.