+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born outside Canada CIT0001E

jordanVisa

Jan 2, 2017
Hello, everyone.

I am currently filling the form CIT0001E to get citizenship for my baby born in Japan.
In the section 3, they ask to write his name EXACTLY as on his birth certificate.
The problem is that his name is all in Japanese(even his family name which he got from me got "Japanified")
Am I really suppose to write everything in Japanese? Also would that mean that when we go back to Canada, me an my son will technically not even have the same family name anymore?

I am not sure how Asians are usually registered in Canada. Do they usually register their authentic name and then use a western alphabet name version they made up on non official documents only?

Also, I always had the family name of both my parent, and when my son was born, he was forced to take both(seen as 1 name) too since having multiple family names is a concept unknown to Japan. If possible, I really wish to only pass on my father's name to him and I was thinking that if it was a possibility, it would be now or never.

Any help or info you might give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to have the Japanese birth certificate translated. Have a discussion with the translator beforehand about how he/she is going to translate your son's name. I don't think the translator is going to be able to drop one of the names from your son's double-barrelled surname, but perhaps the person can come up with something acceptable to you. Anyway...if you currently have a compound surname, and you drop one name from your son's surname, then you and he won't have the same surname. If both of you want to have a non-compound surname, you'll likely have to wait until you return to Canada and can do a change of name.

jordanVisa

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you for you kind reply.
The document has already been translated and so as his name.

If I understand well, I should write the translated name on the CIT0001E section 3?

I suppose I will have to wait for the name change. Does him having only one of my surname cause any problems? Since he doesn't have any documents yet, I thought it was a good time to change his name. If we change his name after getting all his documents like passport and health card, won't we have to remake them all with the new name?

Thank you very much!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jordanVisa said:
Thank you for you kind reply.
The document has already been translated and so as his name.

If I understand well, I should write the translated name on the CIT0001E section 3?

I suppose I will have to wait for the name change. Does him having only one of my surname cause any problems? Since he doesn't have any documents yet, I thought it was a good time to change his name. If we change his name after getting all his documents like passport and health card, won't we have to remake them all with the new name?

Thank you very much!
Yes, you would write the name as translated on the application form. If you are not satisfied with the translated name, you would have to have it translated again...and this time find a translator who is willing to work with you to make the name look as it should.

You are correct that if you get documents in your son's current name, then change his name, you will have to have the documents reissued. The only other solution is to have your son's name changed in a Japanese court, which may not be a possibility. Do a search on "change of name in Japan" to learn more.

jordanVisa

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you for all your help.
A name change in Japan is impossible for my current situation. I really tried everything when he was born.
I guess I will leave that problem to future me.