+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born abroad while waiting on mother's immigration decision

Lifer

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
anyone else have a baby while waiting for a decision? I'm Canadian but my wife and stepson are still waiting on a decision before they can move with me to Canada. In the meantime, we've just given birth to a new baby girl =]

It looks like I need to apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship for the baby (which takes 8-10 months!!!) before I can apply for her passport... does this mean another year of waiting :'( ? Or is there a way around this? My visa to Thailand runs out in December, and while I can probably get another, nothing is assured.
-If for some reason I CAN'T get another Thai visa, will I have to go back to Canada, leaving my daughter here with her mother?
-In my situation, what would happen if leaving my baby here were impossible (say, if her mother had passed away or deserted the child)?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Lifer said:
-In my situation, what would happen if leaving my baby here were impossible (say, if her mother had passed away or deserted the child)?
You would tell the Canadian embassy in Thailand of the problem, and they would expedite her passport.

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi Lifer

You can apply for a temporary validity Canadian passport for your baby while waiting for the citizenship card. You can apply for that while your baby is under 2. The one for our son only took about 3 weeks to arrive, they're usually quick if you write a covering letter explaining the urgency and why you need it. Our son's citizenship card came within 4 months so they could be processing them faster in Canada now.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
The only thing I'd add is that you should apply for the citizenship now and show that to the Canadian embassy if/when you apply for the temporary passport... I believe the wait for the cards outside the country may be shorter than inside, my daughter's took 11m from inside Canada, that was a few years back tho...

The best part of the citizenship cards is that they don't expire (at least the one she got 7 years ago doesn't...) And it's legal ID... Sooooo guess which piece of ID will be the only one that child will be able to find the night she goes to celebrate turning 19 at the bar???? Hehehe she was a cute 5m old but I'm not sure the bouncers will agree :) yes, I've been planning this for years!!! :)

I digress....

Congratulations on your new arrival! :)