+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born a broad

Jesusforlife

Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen married to a Zambian citizen. We are living in Zambia, with a baby on the way. Our baby will be born here in Zambia. I'm looking for more information on how to get our child's Canadian papers. So I have read that I will need to apply for citizenship papers at the embassy here but that can take up to a year. Are we able to visit Canada without this paper before? Does our baby need a passport? Does it matter if Canadian or Zambian? Does our baby need a visa to get into Canada?

Thank you for anymore information!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen married to a Zambian citizen. We are living in Zambia, with a baby on the way. Our baby will be born here in Zambia. I'm looking for more information on how to get our child's Canadian papers. So I have read that I will need to apply for citizenship papers at the embassy here but that can take up to a year. Are we able to visit Canada without this paper before? Does our baby need a passport? Does it matter if Canadian or Zambian? Does our baby need a visa to get into Canada?

Ok first thing first. Unfortunately it is not enough to be a Canadian for your child born abroad to be a Canadian as well.
So are you a naturalised Canadian (came to Canada and later became Canadian)? Were you born in Canada?
Or were you born abroad to the Canadian parents / parent? - if this is the case your baby will not be Canadian because that would be second generation born abroad. (of course unless you were sent to Zambia by Canadian government or army).

Jesusforlife

Jul 27, 2017
I am a
Ok first thing first. Unfortunately it is not enough to be a Canadian for your child born abroad to be a Canadian as well.
So are you a naturalised Canadian (came to Canada and later became Canadian)? Were you born in Canada?
Or were you born abroad to the Canadian parents / parent? - if this is the case your baby will not be Canadian because that would be second generation born abroad. (of course unless you were sent to Zambia by Canadian government or army).
I am a Canadian citizen. I was born there, so were my parents...

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I am a Canadian citizen. I was born there, so were my parents...
You should apply for citizen certificate for your child, as they are a Canadian. Your child will not be able to enter Canada on a Zambian passport; there are options for having an expedited passport or exception - though it doesn't look like your child would qualify for the exception because Zambia is not on list of visa-exempt countries.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

Hi

You can apply concurrently for the Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

Jesusforlife

Jul 27, 2017
Does anyone know if I can have a representative apply for our daughters Canadian certificate and passport from Canada as it would cut the wait time in half.... Or I have to go through the Canadian embassy here in Zambia?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does anyone know if I can have a representative apply for our daughters Canadian certificate and passport from Canada as it would cut the wait time in half.... Or I have to go through the Canadian embassy here in Zambia?
You need to apply through Zambia.