+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby abroad

JesseMaya

Oct 17, 2018
Hi all, I have a bit of a random question for you. My wife has received Permanent residence and we are pregnant. We are hoping to have the baby in Europe as that is where she is from but we are not sure if this will make it difficult for the baby to be Canadian? I am a Canadian citizen by birth. Does anyone know how long this process might be or how complicated it is? We are hoping to have the baby in Europe stay there about a month or two and then come back to Canada.
Thank you!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi all, I have a bit of a random question for you. My wife has received Permanent residence and we are pregnant. We are hoping to have the baby in Europe as that is where she is from but we are not sure if this will make it difficult for the baby to be Canadian? I am a Canadian citizen by birth. Does anyone know how long this process might be or how complicated it is? We are hoping to have the baby in Europe stay there about a month or two and then come back to Canada.
Thank you!
As you are Canadian by birth, you can apply for Canadian citizenship for the baby.

Not terribly complicated ( I did it for my kids many years ago), but it would take several months, then you would need a passport after that.

Reactions: Survivor27

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah, there will be no issue getting citizenship for your child since you were born in Canada. However, there is a reason why some people may want to sponsor the baby via the PR route instead of directly getting citizenship.

The reason for this is the First generation born abroad rule. Your child is born abroad, so s/he becomes the first generation born abroad. Now, fast forward a couple decades. Let us say your first grandchild is being born abroad as well.. that child will not automatically be Canadian because their parent was born abroad. However, if you sponsor your baby via the PR route, your grandchild will be the first generation born abroad and therefore will automatically be Canadian citizens (assuming of course that your kid becomes a citizen of Canada when eligible).

I realize that this may be a very distant thing to think about, but it's still good to know about.

Reactions: JesseMaya

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Agreed with @Hurlabrick. Apply for the citizenship when the baby is born.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
However, if you sponsor your baby via the PR route, your grandchild will be the first generation born abroad and therefore will automatically be Canadian citizens (assuming of course that your kid becomes a citizen of Canada when eligible).

I realize that this may be a very distant thing to think about, but it's still good to know about.
I don't think the OP can do this. Under 3(1)(b) of the current Citizenship Act, the OP's child would automatically be a Canadian citizen by descent when he/she is born, and the first generation born abroad. The child's birth certificate will most likely have the parent places of birth, and once IRCC sees that the OP was born in Canada, they would reject the sponsorship application and notify the OP that he needs to apply for proof of citizenship for the child instead.

Reactions: smallcoffee

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
Yeah, there will be no issue getting citizenship for your child since you were born in Canada. However, there is a reason why some people may want to sponsor the baby via the PR route instead of directly getting citizenship.

The reason for this is the First generation born abroad rule. Your child is born abroad, so s/he becomes the first generation born abroad. Now, fast forward a couple decades. Let us say your first grandchild is being born abroad as well.. that child will not automatically be Canadian because their parent was born abroad. However, if you sponsor your baby via the PR route, your grandchild will be the first generation born abroad and therefore will automatically be Canadian citizens (assuming of course that your kid becomes a citizen of Canada when eligible).

Sorry but the baby cannot be sponsored because it is already Canadian.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, I misspoke. The child is already Canadian.

I was confusing this with the situation when a baby is adopted abroad - in that case what I said will apply since that baby can either be sponsored, or can apply for citizenship.

JesseMaya

Oct 17, 2018
As you are Canadian by birth, you can apply for Canadian citizenship for the baby.

Not terribly complicated ( I did it for my kids many years ago), but it would take several months, then you would need a passport after that.
Okay, so if we have the baby abroad, will it receive two citizenship's then? In order to apply for Canadian citzenship and such we need to provide proofs of birth and such which would be from Slovakia. I hope my question makes sense.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Okay, so if we have the baby abroad, will it receive two citizenship's then? .
Yes

In order to apply for Canadian citzenship and such we need to provide proofs of birth and such which would be from Slovakia.
Yes. Quite a few other things to provide as well of course, mainly around proof of your Canadian birth and citizenship.

Reactions: JesseMaya

JesseMaya

Oct 17, 2018
Yes

Yes. Quite a few other things to provide as well of course, mainly around proof of your Canadian birth and citizenship.
okay thank you so much for your quick replies. We are also wondering about financial assistance. Do you know about that? M guess we wouldn't be able to receive any benefits from Canada until it is processed that it is actually a canadian baby.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
okay thank you so much for your quick replies. We are also wondering about financial assistance. Do you know about that? M guess we wouldn't be able to receive any benefits from Canada until it is processed that it is actually a canadian baby.
I have no idea about these

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also have to worry about health coverage. Depending on where you live the baby may need to wait up to 3 months to get coverage and your wife may also need to reapply for health coverage depending on how long she has been out of Canada.