+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

B2 French for PEQ Graduate stream

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
I am a student (spent 4 years in Ontario) who will be doing his graduate studies at McGill until August 2020. After that I am hoping to apply for CSQ under the PEQ program. As I am currently trying to plan things out in advance, I was wondering whether you could provide any recommendations regarding the B2 French level needed for the PEQ application.

I will be taking Concordia Continuing Education courses and currently I have been placed on Level 3. Assuming I finish level 6 by August 2019, what would your recommendations be? Should I take TEFAQ or would the level 6 certification be sufficient to apply? I have read through the posts published earlier this year / last year and have noticed that MIDI was inviting a lot of students for interviews. I was wondering what the current situation is with PEQ applicants applying without standardized tests (if you could share your experience of whether you were / were not invited for an interview, that would really help). I have heard that MIDI was particularly interested in assessing students with Indian/Chinese/Middle Eastern origin so what about other nationalities? Are PEQ interviews still a thing nowadays?

Also, if you have finished level 6 at Concordia, do you think it prepares you well enough to achieve B2 in TEFAQ listening and speaking? All kinds of comments are well appreciated

puru1331

Feb 6, 2018
Level 6 isn't sufficient, minimum level 7 is required and I will recommend you to go for TEF or TEFAQ.

One thing I would like to ask you if you had studied 4 years in Ontario then why you moved to Quebec? Isn't it easy to immigrate there. I think going through express entry is good rather than PEQ as MIDI will waste whole your time in asking for documents and french scores and your work permit will come to expire.

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
Level 6 isn't sufficient, minimum level 7 is required and I will recommend you to go for TEF or TEFAQ.

One thing I would like to ask you if you had studied 4 years in Ontario then why you moved to Quebec? Isn't it easy to immigrate there. I think going through express entry is good rather than PEQ as MIDI will waste whole your time in asking for documents and french scores and your work permit will come to expire.
I think I have decided that I will be moving back to Ontario. I moved to Quebec because I started grad school here so I was just looking at different options available