+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Away from Canada after acquiring PR Card

Mech Warrior

Aug 21, 2013
Hello,

I landed with my family in June 2015 and then we stayed for a short duration(14 days). We finished all the formalities and later got our PR cards. The question now is that we didn't live in Canada since then so our total stay in Canada since we landed is only 14 days. I actually work for an Oil & Gas Company and am earning well so am still not able to make a decision to quit my job and move to Canada. However I want to know that what is the deadline for me to enter into Canada considering our PR Cards will expire in August 2020. Is there any provision for us returning to Canada within the PR Cards validity and then stay there permanently ? Can any one share similar experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I landed with my family in June 2015 and then we stayed for a short duration(14 days). We finished all the formalities and later got our PR cards. The question now is that we didn't live in Canada since then so our total stay in Canada since we landed is only 14 days. I actually work for an Oil & Gas Company and am earning well so am still not able to make a decision to quit my job and move to Canada. However I want to know that what is the deadline for me to enter into Canada considering our PR Cards will expire in August 2020. Is there any provision for us returning to Canada within the PR Cards validity and then stay there permanently ? Can any one share similar experience.
You've already passed the deadline that will guarantee your PR status can be kept. This deadline was sometime in June or July 2018 (before you were outside of Canada for three years).

You can still return to Canada however now there's a risk you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported on entering Canada, this will most likely result in your PR status being revoked.

Reactions: jddd

Mech Warrior

Aug 21, 2013
You've already passed the deadline that will guarantee your PR status can be kept. This deadline was sometime in June or July 2018 (before you were outside of Canada for three years).

You can still return to Canada however now there's a risk you may be reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported on entering Canada, this will most likely result in your PR status being revoked.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard that entering through US via land will help ?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Try and enter before your PR card expires and hope you don’t get reported. Remain in Canada for the next 2 year without leaving if you are successful. It’s always a roll of the dice when you don’t meet RO and try and enter.

Reactions: jddd

Scorpio711

Dec 5, 2018
This is not meant to be disrespectful but I'm just curious. I also am a PR, also outside Canada, work for a Chemical Company and earning well.
I've spent 3 months in Canada since landing and card expires Feb 2022. I WILL relocate permanently Dec 2019.

My question is, you deadline to have been able to meet RO was to move in July 2018. Why didn't you move. You are now trying to figure out ways to enter without getting reported, a huge risk because if you are reported (or not) there is no guarantee you will be allowed to renew your PR card. So you are willing to quit your job, and take that risk? But you weren't willing to quit your job and move back in July? Risk free?

I'm just curious as I'm in a similar situation.