+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting PR card, can I re-enter Canada on my valid visitor visa?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The TRV is valid till 2029, nowhere it says that it is cancelled. How will the airlines or immigration officer in Mexico see that she is actually a PR without a PR card? Shouldn’t the TRV on the passport be still valid to come to canada ?
Here's the proof that you need. See the part in red:

Javier Gomez®@JavierAbrahamGV·Jan 29, 2018

@CitImmCanada I have a valid Visitor's visa, will this be canceled at the time of receiving Confirmation of Permanent Residency? And would I be able to travel as a visitor before doing the landing as a PR?

IRCC
@CitImmCanada
Hi, your TRV is only cancelled when you go through the process of landing as a PR. Up until then, your TRV is valid. Sorry for the delay!

1:07 PM · Feb 5, 2018
---

So, this should really convince you that, unfortunately, your wife will very likely NOT be able to board the flight home!

Last edited:

ajsg

Jan 3, 2019
Here's the proof that you need. See the part in red:

Javier Gomez®@JavierAbrahamGV·Jan 29, 2018

@CitImmCanada I have a valid Visitor's visa, will this be canceled at the time of receiving Confirmation of Permanent Residency? And would I be able to travel as a visitor before doing the landing as a PR?

IRCC
@CitImmCanada
Hi, your TRV is only cancelled when you go through the process of landing as a PR. Up until then, your TRV is valid. Sorry for the delay!

1:07 PM · Feb 5, 2018
---

So, this should really convince you that, unfortunately, your wife will very likely NOT be able to board the flight home!
Thanks for digging up more details on this. So, in case we end up traveling the only way we can return back is through land border from US to Canada?

ajsg

Jan 3, 2019
Yes. As long as your spouse has a US visa or ETA.
Yup! We both do. And we’re thinking of returning to buffalo (NY), the. From Buffalo to Niagara falls (by bus /cab) and then crossing the Rainbow bridge border by foot :)
(But not cancelling the trip for sure , cause the COPr came within 3 months, while the tickets were bought earlier and we weren’t anticipating the COPR to come through so soon)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup! We both do. And we’re thinking of returning to buffalo (NY), the. From Buffalo to Niagara falls (by bus /cab) and then crossing the Rainbow bridge border by foot :)
(But not cancelling the trip for sure , cause the COPr came within 3 months, while the tickets were bought earlier and we weren’t anticipating the COPR to come through so soon)
So glad to hear this! It would have been beyond terrifying to find out that she could not board the flight back to Canada...and then scramble to find a flight to NY at the last minute!

Enjoy your much deserved vacation!

ajsg

Jan 3, 2019
Hey All, thought of giving you all a quick update on the situation. My wife successfully travelled back to Canada on her TRV while she already has a COPR and her PR card is awaited. Neither in Mexico nor in Canada a single question was asked. Hope this experience helps anyone seeking the right information and not just guesswork :)

Note - please do your own diligence and research with credible sources like the IRCC and CBSA before making any travel plans. We had a backup plan of traveling through the US land border (we have US visas) in case we weren’t allowed on flight.

Reactions: Ponga

Ap3111

Mar 26, 2024
Hey All, thought of giving you all a quick update on the situation. My wife successfully travelled back to Canada on her TRV while she already has a COPR and her PR card is awaited. Neither in Mexico nor in Canada a single question was asked. Hope this experience helps anyone seeking the right information and not just guesswork :)

Note - please do your own diligence and research with credible sources like the IRCC and CBSA before making any travel plans. We had a backup plan of traveling through the US land border (we have US visas) in case we weren’t allowed on flight.

Hey Man,

I am in exact same situation right now!!!! Can you please tell me what did you wife submit in the self checkout kiosk while entering Canada? Did she filled in as visitor or PR?

Please let me know ASAP.

ajsg

Jan 3, 2019
Hey Man,

I am in exact same situation right now!!!! Can you please tell me what did you wife submit in the self checkout kiosk while entering Canada? Did she filled in as visitor or PR?

Please let me know ASAP.
My wife filled as visitor! (But mind you she came here on TRV and as her PR was in process we applied for extension of her TRV as she was going to stay for more than 6 months on TRV)