+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting passports from Canadian consulate in New York

miirshad

Sep 15, 2013
mgw said:
Hi All

Applied for TRV online and received a message that I "a decision has been made" and I should mail them my passport. New York VAC received the passport on Aug 6th and now it is Aug 15th and I am not getting any response from them. Basically this place is a passport black hole! How can anyone hold a passport for more than 1 day. This has to be illegal. Anyway I plan on going to NYC tomorrow to get to the bottom of this and collect my passport with or without the visa. Has anyone attempted to go directly to NYC and collect the passport?

MGW.
Can you give us more details when did you apply online ? According to all the blogs and response. stamping would take 3-14 days max.. so hopefully you would get this week. If you go to collect you passport( i dnt think they can give it back without notice ) give us an update it will help us

jt_3308

Oct 15, 2013
mgw said:
Hi All

Applied for TRV online and received a message that I "a decision has been made" and I should mail them my passport. New York VAC received the passport on Aug 6th and now it is Aug 15th and I am not getting any response from them. Basically this place is a passport black hole! How can anyone hold a passport for more than 1 day. This has to be illegal. Anyway I plan on going to NYC tomorrow to get to the bottom of this and collect my passport with or without the visa. Has anyone attempted to go directly to NYC and collect the passport?

MGW.
did you get your passport back? I need to travel to france for business in 4 days from now and I want to get my passport back. I don't care at this point for the Canadian visitor visa. it is not something I can loose my job over. I am planning to go to the NYC office tomorrow. if you can please provide some details about your experience....

ozooxo

Oct 1, 2013
When did you apply?

Me any several other people sent our PP at around Sep 2x to NY, and haven't got our passport yet. See question-latest-online-visitor-visa-time-frame-t167659.0.html of this forum.

good luck if you can get any useful information from NY.

jt_3308 said:
did you get your passport back? I need to travel to france for business in 4 days from now and I want to get my passport back. I don't care at this point for the Canadian visitor visa. it is not something I can loose my job over. I am planning to go to the NYC office tomorrow. if you can please provide some details about your experience....

jt_3308

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,

I got my passport back(w/ visa) yesterday. so anyone who is waiting for the passport to arrive, go to the Canadian consulate (For NYC office Applicants) on Wednesday morning and request for withdrawal. They will give your passport back the within an hour (you can wait inside the consulate). Try going to the consulate early in the morning. It is open to public only on Wednesdays (from 8.30 to 10.30) and they only accept first 100 visitors. tell the security guys you are there for application withdrawal. they will give you a simple (1 page) form at the gate and you can present it to the receptionist when you get to the counter. She will ask you to wait, they will look up your passport and will give it back to you right there.

They will stamp the visa as well if your application was approved.

All the best.

ozooxo

Oct 1, 2013
transit Visa:

Applied Online: 11 Sep
PP Request: 23 Sep
PP sent to NY: 24 Sep
PP received at NY: 25 Sep
PP sent to me: 16 Oct
PP received: 17/18 Oct

Based on what is seen from the visa, the date they issue the visa, is the date the request the passport. It is issued at CPP Ottawa rather than NY. Also, they give me a two entries visa with an expire date two days after my return flight; so they do checked the receipt of my flight ticket, as it is not shown by the file they want me to file.

RAD

Nov 8, 2013
Hi ozooxo,
I also applied for Transit Visa on 11th Sept, but no response yet. My travel date is coming near by, its on 22nd Nov.
Did they request you to submit your passport in MyCIC account..? I did not receive any message yet. Also if i have to send my Passport to them, I don't think I can get my passport back before 22nd Nov. Please help me with your suggestions on what to do next. Can I go directly to Consulate in NY and submit my passport in person..? And can i expect them to return it to me in a day with visa stamped..? I have exactly 8 working days before i travel. Please help me.

Appreciate your help

DESH

Nov 11, 2013
This is My experience

I applied Transit visa online for me and my family on 25th Sept 2013.

I received email on Oct 16th 2013 saying that

"This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application. "

I sent my passport to New York Location on 19th Oct 2013. Then I sent email + Fax to them for Followup on 4th Nov saying My flight is in Nov 3rd Week. Please send my passport ASAP.

Email ID - re-CNGNY.IM-TRV-VRT@international.gc.ca
FAX - 212-596-1790

Got reply immidietly

"
Dear Sir/Madam,

Your passport is still in our office and in queue to be returned shortly. Further updates are not available at this time.

Regards,

Immigration Section

Consulate General of Canada

New York, NY
"

I got my passport back on 11th Nov 2013.

My experience was hassle free but i suggest be proactive and don't wait / Assume for Visa office. Be proactive and send email and fax.

Good Luck. 8)

manishdeb

Nov 12, 2013
elisha said:
Praise God!
I received my passports (myself and family) with visas stamped by USPS mail today. I can now fly on May 17th to India.
Pooja, wish you good luck! Please send them email and Fax and they were very responsive to me.

Please highlight and tell them the nature of urgency i.e. your travel date is near and they seem to consider that.

Again, best of luck!

- Elisha

Hi Elisha,

Did you send all your passports (your's and your family's) in same envelope or in separate envelopes?

Thanks.

RAD

Nov 8, 2013
Hi, I got passport request mail on 12th Nov and I sent my passport immediately. My travel date is on 22nd Nov and I'm still waiting for my passport. Is there anyway I can request for my passport without going to NY consulate office in person. I tried all the mail ids and im getting auto reply saying they can not respond now. Please suggest what to do now.

Appreciate your help

ineed_info

Dec 20, 2013
Hi All,

First of all thank you for creating this blogs, which gives a realistic status of whats going on in this consulate.

My situation is totally different.

I applied for my Visa on Nov 7th 2013 via online.
Got a reply from them to send me the passport on November 24 2013 .
Sent Passport on November 25th 2013 via Fedex also sent the return prepaid Fedex envelope.
They received the documents on November 26th 2013 .
I kept checking my return FEDEX tracking number to see any status. No status updates, then I sent them email on December 9th 2013 .
Got a reply from them saying my mail is delivered via Regular Mail on December 5th 2013, we are unable to use Fedex. (all it takes from them to put the documents in prepaid envelope and sent)
Sent an email on December 11th 2013, asking them to check if they sent to office address (this is what I used for FEDEX) or my home address.
No reply.
Sent another email on December 19th 2013, asking where is the passport.
Got a reply on December 20th 2013, saying my office address, but they did a big mistake instead of 8000 W Sunrise they sent to 800 W sunrise...........
I am totally shocked to see this reply, ran to post office asking them if they have any mails for 800 W Sunrise address, they simply refuse me and wanted tracking number.

How can such a prestigious organization does a mistake like this???. I hope my passport does not went to some wrong guy. Can you guys give me some suggestions...I am totally upset on this.

Thanks,
Ineed_info.

brlsoft

Feb 6, 2014
Hi akinu,

No updates for your case. had you have a chance to Visit the LA office?

I'm in the same boat, I have sent my passport on 23 Jan, 2014 and today received a withdrawn notification according to not receiving my passport.

Please Help

Regards,
BRL

potlaravi

Feb 20, 2014
ineed_info said:
Hi All,

First of all thank you for creating this blogs, which gives a realistic status of whats going on in this consulate.

My situation is totally different.

I applied for my Visa on Nov 7th 2013 via online.
Got a reply from them to send me the passport on November 24 2013 .
Sent Passport on November 25th 2013 via Fedex also sent the return prepaid Fedex envelope.
They received the documents on November 26th 2013 .
I kept checking my return FEDEX tracking number to see any status. No status updates, then I sent them email on December 9th 2013 .
Got a reply from them saying my mail is delivered via Regular Mail on December 5th 2013, we are unable to use Fedex. (all it takes from them to put the documents in prepaid envelope and sent)
Sent an email on December 11th 2013, asking them to check if they sent to office address (this is what I used for FEDEX) or my home address.
No reply.
Sent another email on December 19th 2013, asking where is the passport.
Got a reply on December 20th 2013, saying my office address, but they did a big mistake instead of 8000 W Sunrise they sent to 800 W sunrise...........
I am totally shocked to see this reply, ran to post office asking them if they have any mails for 800 W Sunrise address, they simply refuse me and wanted tracking number.

How can such a prestigious organization does a mistake like this???. I hope my passport does not went to some wrong guy. Can you guys give me some suggestions...I am totally upset on this.

Thanks,
Ineed_info.

Hi Ineed_info,

Did you get your passport in your Hand ? On a curious note i am just checking
as i think i may be on same boat

Thanks
Potla

noveedi

Jul 12, 2015
I am on a multiple visa to USA for 5 years and upon arrival here I have applied for Canadian Tourist Visa in NYC Canadian Visa Center up in person:

Date applied: 06/22/2015 (Passport submission, biometrics done and all fees cleared).

Any idea how long would it take for me to get my decision or can I call Canadian Consulate to find the status of my application.

Please give some advise as I would highly appreciate all the help in this matter.

Thanks,

sanybhai

Feb 21, 2014
Hi Noveddi
The processing time on cic website is 41 days. But I emailed NYC consulate last week and they said min. 15 to days or longer. So, you may hear from them anytime. May I ask you why did you apply through NYC consulate and not through online?

I am planning to apply for my wife at the end of this month. I am confused if I should apply online or paper!!
What you think has better chances?? She is also in USA with 5 yrs tourist visa.

noveedi said:
I am on a multiple visa to USA for 5 years and upon arrival here I have applied for Canadian Tourist Visa in NYC Canadian Visa Center up in person:

Date applied: 06/22/2015 (Passport submission, biometrics done and all fees cleared).

Any idea how long would it take for me to get my decision or can I call Canadian Consulate to find the status of my application.

Please give some advise as I would highly appreciate all the help in this matter.

Thanks,

tanzee

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Hi Potla,

Did you finally receive your passport? The New York VAC says they mailed it to me last week (that was 4 business days ago). My prepaid UPS tracking number has not updated yet (it was supposed to be 2-day delivery).

I'm afraid my passport might have been sent out by USPS instead.

What was your experience like?

potlaravi said:
Hi Ineed_info,

Did you get your passport in your Hand ? On a curious note i am just checking
as i think i may be on same boat

Thanks
Potla