+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting first PR card - Applying for a schengen visa

_jayparekh

Jul 24, 2023
Hi,

I got ecopr on 20th June, 2023. Still waiting for my PR card. PR portal shows 'in review with IRCC' and gckey account(linked PR application) shows 'submitted'. I've a Europe trip in september(28 sept) and my schengen visa appointment is next week(Aug 2) in montreal at swiss embassy. I've 2 major concerns.

1. One of the required documents at visa appointment is canadian residency proof. I've TRV valid till 2026 and WP valid till 2024, May. Since I've got my e-copr, both of these are nullified. And I dont have PR card. What should I show at the embassy as my proof of residency? WP/TRV or ecopr? I'm not sure if they will approve my visa based on ecopr since it's not a valid document for travel. If not, can I just show them my TRV and WP assuming that they wont cross check if these documents are valid or not? I just dont want my visa to be rejected!

2. Even if somehow I get my visa but dont get PR card on time, I can't travel since I will not be able to re-enter canada based on e-copr. What other options do I have in order to not make any amendments to my itinerary?
-I've a valid US visa. Can I go to US from europe and enter by land in a private vehicle? I've read on some forums online that they allow to enter canada from US by land with e-copr. Seems risky though. And FYI - Although, I've US visa but I've never been to US.

-Is there any way I can expedite my PR card process? It's been more than 30 days since I got my ecopr

Wondering if anyone has been in similar situation before and can guide me on the same?

TIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I got ecopr on 20th June, 2023. Still waiting for my PR card. PR portal shows 'in review with IRCC' and gckey account(linked PR application) shows 'submitted'. I've a Europe trip in september(28 sept) and my schengen visa appointment is next week(Aug 2) in montreal at swiss embassy. I've 2 major concerns.

1. One of the required documents at visa appointment is canadian residency proof. I've TRV valid till 2026 and WP valid till 2024, May. Since I've got my e-copr, both of these are nullified. And I dont have PR card. What should I show at the embassy as my proof of residency? WP/TRV or ecopr? I'm not sure if they will approve my visa based on ecopr since it's not a valid document for travel. If not, can I just show them my TRV and WP assuming that they wont cross check if these documents are valid or not? I just dont want my visa to be rejected!

2. Even if somehow I get my visa but dont get PR card on time, I can't travel since I will not be able to re-enter canada based on e-copr. What other options do I have in order to not make any amendments to my itinerary?
-I've a valid US visa. Can I go to US from europe and enter by land in a private vehicle? I've read on some forums online that they allow to enter canada from US by land with e-copr. Seems risky though. And FYI - Although, I've US visa but I've never been to US.

-Is there any way I can expedite my PR card process? It's been more than 30 days since I got my ecopr

Wondering if anyone has been in similar situation before and can guide me on the same?

TIA
1. I can't help with this question.
2. There are two options. One would be to apply for a PRTD which would allow you to fly back to Canada once issued. The other would be to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicile. Many people have done this.

There is no way to expedite the PR card. Note that in addition to the posted processing times, you also have to factor in a few more weeks for mailing times.

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
1. Bring all the documents you got and explain to them. In my opinion, your proof of residency in Canada is your COPR. The PR card is just for traveling purposes.
2. I think you can get your card before your trip. I got mine 1.5 months after COPR. Best of luck!

Reactions: cz999

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
1. Bring all the documents you got and explain to them. In my opinion, your proof of residency in Canada is your COPR. The PR card is just for traveling purposes.
2. I think you can get your card before your trip. I got mine 1.5 months after COPR. Best of luck!
The COPR is not an ID. Even Airlines do not allow people without a valid visa or PR card to board..

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
Hi,

TIA
Your situation exceeds the current processing time which is 29 days. You have just to call IRCC, they will accelerate the process of your cards.

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
The COPR is not an ID. Even Airlines do not allow people without a valid visa or PR card to board..
I meant "Bring it to the visa interview", didn't mean to bring it for the flight. The question was: What to bring to the embassy for visa appointment.

Reactions: cz999

_jayparekh

Jul 24, 2023
I meant "Bring it to the visa interview", didn't mean to bring it for the flight. The question was: What to bring to the embassy for visa appointment.
ok, so here are the exact doc requirements

1. If you are not a Canadian citizen, a photocopy of your proof of residency in Canada (PR card, both sides copied on one sheet OR Canadian work or study permit and visa in your passport) valid for at least three months after the date of re-entry to Canada.
2. A valid visa or residency permit for your final destination (if it is not Canada or your home country).

Are you saying COPR will satisfy both these requirements?

btw, I got an update yesterday that my PR card has been mailed. But it's too late for interview, which is on 2nd august, day after tomorrow. However, I'd at least have PR card with me during travel, which resolves my second question.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
ok, so here are the exact doc requirements

1. If you are not a Canadian citizen, a photocopy of your proof of residency in Canada (PR card, both sides copied on one sheet OR Canadian work or study permit and visa in your passport) valid for at least three months after the date of re-entry to Canada.
2. A valid visa or residency permit for your final destination (if it is not Canada or your home country).

Are you saying COPR will satisfy both these requirements?

btw, I got an update yesterday that my PR card has been mailed. But it's too late for interview, which is on 2nd august, day after tomorrow. However, I'd at least have PR card with me during travel, which resolves my second question.

Thanks,
Jay
I’d suggest you to bring all your documents, even print out the screenshot that your pr card has been mailed to the interview. They would understand that you have got your PR and the card is coming. Obviously I don’t know how the officer will react but I think your chances are pretty good. Your copr is proof of status in Canada and that’s really what they were looking for.
By the way there is a chance of your card arrives on or before august 2. Some people have got their cards in 2 days. I got it in 3 business days and I live across the country (mailed from Sydney, NS to Calgary, AB)

Reactions: novemberrain

Tanya123

Sep 13, 2023
Hi,

TIA
Hi,

TIA
Hi Any reply. In a similar situation like you. Pls let me know if there is any update. Thanks.

Pany

Sep 14, 2023
Hi Any reply. In a similar situation like you. Pls let me know if there is any update. Thanks.
I’m in the same situation. Copr 21 aug. Had an appointment for Schengen visa last week. I have a work permit until 2026 but didn’t submit that with my application as it’s not valid after becoming a pr. Now have a feeling that they are gonna reject my visa because i just provided copr!

Tanya123

Sep 13, 2023
I’m in the same situation. Copr 21 aug. Had an appointment for Schengen visa last week. I have a work permit until 2026 but didn’t submit that with my application as it’s not valid after becoming a pr. Now have a feeling that they are gonna reject my visa because i just provided copr!
I am thinking of applying with my work permit as well as COPR. Let’s see how it goes

_jayparekh

Jul 24, 2023
I am thinking of applying with my work permit as well as COPR. Let’s see how it goes
FYI - I had only submitted TRV and WP and did not say anything about PR card or COPR. I dont think they check your residential status as long as you submit necessary documents which are "VALID". I'd suggest don't mention anything about COPR and get your visa based on TRV and WP. But yes, do wait for PR card to travel. Applying for PRTD outside canada is a hassle of its own.

Tanya123

Sep 13, 2023
FYI - I had only submitted TRV and WP and did not say anything about PR card or COPR. I dont think they check your residential status as long as you submit necessary documents which are "VALID". I'd suggest don't mention anything about COPR and get your visa based on TRV and WP. But yes, do wait for PR card to travel. Applying for PRTD outside canada is a hassle of its own.
Hey! I submitted with my work permit and COPR and mentioned that I became a PR of Canada. I also have a valid US visa so I will be driving in a private vehicle from US to Canada. Let’s see how it goes. Super stressed!

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hey! I submitted with my work permit and COPR and mentioned that I became a PR of Canada. I also have a valid US visa so I will be driving in a private vehicle from US to Canada. Let’s see how it goes. Super stressed!
Not sure of Schengen visa, but atleast for US B1/B2 visa, CoPR is considered as valid status document. I hope same is applicable here. Best luck !