+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR with a canceled appointment

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Have you used AVR with a canceled Visa appointment in Canada? My companies attorneys say they are not sure and depends on the officer.

At one point in the past, at the land border, the CBP agent told me my AVR is invalidated because I had applied for visa appointment in the past. However, I was still let in because CBSA had rejected my entry and thus technically I was still in the USA. Now I am not sure if this happened because when agent asked me for visa appointment, I replied of having booked and canceled the appointment or his response would have been different had I just said No at that time.

I am looking to land in Canada(complete the landing formalities) and come back the same day, just a bit worried that I might not be able to come back.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
At one point in the past, at the land border, the CBP agent told me my AVR is invalidated because I had applied for visa appointment in the past.
Did you ask them if your AVR is still valid because of your canceled appointment?

Applying for visa means either:
1. Providing a visa officer your DS-160 and other documents at an in-person appointment or
2. Submitting your passport and other documents at the dropbox location for interview waiver candidates

You are fine as long as you did not do either of those. An online booking of the appointment at a US Post is not submitting your visa application to the State Department.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Did you ask them if your AVR is still valid because of your canceled appointment?

Applying for visa means either:
1. Providing a visa officer your DS-160 and other documents at an in-person appointment or
2. Submitting your passport and other documents at the dropbox location for interview waiver candidates

You are fine as long as you did not do either of those. An online booking of the appointment at a US Post is not submitting your visa application to the State Department.
The guy said AVR is invalid as soon as I booked the appointment and didn't want to hear anything further. I don't know if this was just how he interpreted the rule.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
The guy said AVR is invalid as soon as I booked the appointment and didn't want to hear anything further. I don't know if this was just how he interpreted the rule.
Thats likely what happened. When people want to impose their personal biases, they come up with the most restrictive interpretation possible.