+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Avoiding importing car - inland sponsorship

Calilove

Jun 6, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen (now dual with US drivers license) moving back to Canada with my wife and kids this year. I will be sponsoring my wife inland and was wondering if we can avoid importing her car since she is coming in as a visitor and will only hold a US driver’s license and a US car insurance.

The car loan is under my mother in law and I but my wife is the one that drives it. We calculated that we can pay it off within 6 months after arriving in Canada which is also the amount of time that my wife can legally drive and stay there.

1. Can we avoid having to import the car if my wife is the one that will be driving it? (As a visitor, with US driver’s license and plate number) for 6 months.
  2. Once we pay it off in 6 months the title will be transferred to my wife’s name. Can we wait to import it until she receives a PR via inland spousal sponsorship?
  3. Can I also drive the car until I renew my Canadian driver’s license? around 60-90 days depending on the rules in Alberta.

Our other option would be to import the car under my name as soon as we pay it off in 6 months.
Last resort would be to sell the car in US but we are trying to avoid that because we don’t want to have car payments again.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen (now dual with US drivers license) moving back to Canada with my wife and kids this year. I will be sponsoring my wife inland and was wondering if we can avoid importing her car since she is coming in as a visitor and will only hold a US driver’s license and a US car insurance.

The car loan is under my mother in law and I but my wife is the one that drives it. We calculated that we can pay it off within 6 months after arriving in Canada which is also the amount of time that my wife can legally drive and stay there.

1. Can we avoid having to import the car if my wife is the one that will be driving it? (As a visitor, with US driver’s license and plate number) for 6 months.
  2. Once we pay it off in 6 months the title will be transferred to my wife’s name. Can we wait to import it until she receives a PR via inland spousal sponsorship?
  3. Can I also drive the car until I renew my Canadian driver’s license? around 60-90 days depending on the rules in Alberta.

Our other option would be to import the car under my name as soon as we pay it off in 6 months.
Last resort would be to sell the car in US but we are trying to avoid that because we don’t want to have car payments again.
Since a visitor (your wife) cannot import anything while she has visitor status, I think you're good until after she completes the PR process.

When it's time, this may help:
https://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx