+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Average monthly living expenses in Calgary???

ayan30

May 23, 2012
Thank you newcomer for bringing this aspect to light. Well this is a very significant issue and i shall look out for this as i continue to house hunt.

Regards,
Ayan

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Folks

If you want to move to calgary please note the expenses as follows:

Calgary NE

One large bed room Basement or two small bedroom basement with Utilities= CAD 700 to 800
One bed room apartment with utilizes = 950 to 1000
Two bedroom apartment with utilizes = 1100 to 1200

Main floor two bed room without utilities = 900 to 950
Full house with two bed room + Basement = 1400 to 1500 (without utilities)

Advantages of NE are mainly for Asians specially Sikh and Muslims as lot and lot of restaurants, grocery stores (Indian & Pakistani), Musalla, LRT and transit are available around.
Disadvantage of area is, not considered as high posh area and usually a middle class population lives here.

Calgary NW

More expensive areas, posh area, basement is normally not available easily

One bed room apartment with utilizes = 1000 to 1200
Two bedroom apartment with utilizes = 1300 to 1400

Main floor two bed room without utilities = 1100 to 1300
Full house with two/ three bed room + Basement = 1600 to 2000 (without utilities)

Advantage good clean locality, Ranchland, Hawkwood and Edgemount are slightly Asian and Arab locality. Other likeCenter, Browness, Cithal, Crowfoot, Tucsany are Western locality.

Main grocery stores are around but not very close to every one especially in winter 2-3 km far is not close to home.

Jobs in Alberta are more easily available than Toronto, Montreal or Winnippeg but not very easy as some folks might think. I am here for last one year by profession Petroleum engineer (most demanding profession here) but still struggling, although I have a good job earning more than 60K but still not to my profession so far. Also not all professions fit here so don't come with impression that all professional jobs are available in Alberta.

Professional registeration, western canada experience is prerequisite for most professional jobs, but one can be lucky as many lucky fellows are here making their fortunes.

Cost of food is high all over Canada and Calgary is no exception, however overall winnipeg is comparatively cheaper than rest of Canada. An average (2+2) family need to make CAD 2500/ month. Taxes are between 25% to 39% (less than ON & MB).

Daycare are very expensive but in most cases Govt. funding are available if family qualify due to low income. Calgary and Edmonton are colder than Toronto/ Mississauga.

lukeke

Feb 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
LANDED..........
March 2013
Hasher said:
Folks

Calgary NE

One large bed room Basement or two small bedroom basement with Utilities= CAD 700 to 800

Advantages of NE are mainly for Asians specially Sikh and Muslims as lot and lot of restaurants, grocery stores (Indian & Pakistani), Musalla, LRT and transit are available around.
Disadvantage of area is, not considered as high posh area and usually a middle class population lives here.

Calgary NW

Full house with two/ three bed room + Basement = 1600 to 2000 (without utilities)

Advantage good clean locality, Ranchland, Hawkwood and Edgemount are slightly Asian and Arab locality. Other likeCenter, Browness, Cithal, Crowfoot, Tucsany are Western locality.

Main grocery stores are around but not very close to every one especially in winter 2-3 km far is not close to home.

Jobs in Alberta are more easily available than Toronto, Montreal or Winnippeg but not very easy as some folks might think. I am here for last one year by profession Petroleum engineer (most demanding profession here) but still struggling, although I have a good job earning more than 60K but still not to my profession so far. Also not all professions fit here so don't come with impression that all professional jobs are available in Alberta.

Professional registeration, western canada experience is prerequisite for most professional jobs, but one can be lucky as many lucky fellows are here making their fortunes.

Cost of food is high all over Canada and Calgary is no exception, however overall winnipeg is comparatively cheaper than rest of Canada. An average (2+2) family need to make CAD 2500/ month. Taxes are between 25% to 39% (less than ON & MB).

Daycare are very expensive but in most cases Govt. funding are available if family qualify due to low income. Calgary and Edmonton are colder than Toronto/ Mississauga.
Thanks Hasher for the detailed information on Calgary neighborhoods in NE and NW. Can you kindly help give some information as per SW neighborhoods?

Looking forward to your respnse on these. Cheers.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Best Area in Clagary to live if someone can afford, the accomodation rentals are little bid higher (add 100 to 200 CAD to NW rental) than NW but area has wide roads and open livings.

lukeke

Feb 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
LANDED..........
March 2013
Thanks Hasher for your response.

One more request please: Kindly give links to renting furnished apartments/short stay in Calgary, preferably in NW & SW.

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
lukeke said:
Thanks Hasher for your response.

One more request please: Kindly give links to renting furnished apartments/short stay in Calgary, preferably in NW & SW.
@Hasher,

Interested in this also, please do post some links

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
I am not expert but know that rentcalgary.com & rentfaster.ca are good sites to visit. You can atleast evaluate before you get in here.

brajesh388

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
hi cristine,

can u update the figures for me in ur following statement dtd 2011

"We have been living in Calgary since May (my husband, son and myself) and our average monthly expenses are about $1600 which covers only the rent, internet+TV+phone and the food costs. Any other expenses like buying clothes, books, toys, having a car with insurance etc. are extra costs. I think life is expensive here but if you find a job within a short period you can manage with it easily. Daycares are also extremely expensive...:-("

regards,

Eridan

Apr 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2014
Doc's Request.
30-03-2015
Nomination.....
25-08-2014
AOR Received.
11-09-2014
Med's Request
30-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-04-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
Hasher said:
Folks

Calgary NE

Calgary NW

May I know from job point of view, is it worth to come for civil engineer (water/wastewater) to Calgary?

Thanks

Christine32

Star Member
Sep 3, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2009
Doc's Request.
14-10-2009
AOR Received.
29-01-2010
IELTS Request
29-01-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2009
Med's Request
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
24-06-2010
Passport Req..
10-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2011
LANDED..........
19-May-2011
Hi,

Sorry, I haven't logged in here for years now, just noticed your reply to my post from back 2011.

So cost of living in Calgary has gone up insanely since 2011!! We live in the NW area (very nice, safe neighbourhood), just purchased an older and smaller house, our mortgage is $1800 but if you want to rent, it is just as costly. Renting a 2 bedroom apartment in this area is between $1600-1800 plus utilities. Average houses are around $1900-2100 plus utilities. Utilities are also expensive, in cold winter months we pay up to $300.00 per month. Groceries are also very expensive, for a family of four we spend more than a $1000 per month and we don't buy any luxury staff! And then you have to pay property tax (if you own a home), insurances (Car, home), daycare (we pay $1000 per month - crazy expensive!!), before and after school care fee (if you have no help), we pay for our kid $500 per month. Not to mention the cost of buying clothes, shoes etc. I would say for a family of four you need a very minimum of $5000 per month. If you have a leased car, you certainly need more than that. Right now we pay $6000 per month at least just to stay "out of the water" and you still haven't saved a penny, didn't go on vacation or spend money on any extra stuff like presents, books, or a movie theatre etc. Plus if you own a home, there is always something you need to fix (especially if it's an older home) and the cost of any skilled work here (like plumbing, electricity etc.) are insane too!!
Prices in Calgary are tailored to people's income who work in Oil&Gas however not every people work in that area and for those ones it sucks!

Honestly I don't recommend Calgary at this point even if it's a safe city. We are thinking about moving to BC or to ontario especially now since both of those provinces are coming up in terms of economy.

Here is a great website that is updated regularly:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Calgary

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christine

hi cristine,

"We have been living in Calgary since May (my husband, son and myself) and our average monthly expenses are about $1600 which covers only the rent, internet+TV+phone and the food costs. Any other expenses like buying clothes, books, toys, having a car with insurance etc. are extra costs. I think life is expensive here but if you find a job within a short period you can manage with it easily. Daycares are also extremely expensive...:-("

regards,
[/quote]

petermc

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
AOR Received.
09-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
13-10-2014
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
25-10-2014
Passport Req..
Decision Made on 24-03 2015...Waiting for PPR
VISA ISSUED...
-----------------
LANDED..........
-----------------
Christine32 said:
Hi,

Sorry, I haven't logged in here for years now, just noticed your reply to my post from back 2011.

So cost of living in Calgary has gone up insanely since 2011!! We live in the NW area (very nice, safe neighbourhood), just purchased an older and smaller house, our mortgage is $1800 but if you want to rent, it is just as costly. Renting a 2 bedroom apartment in this area is between $1600-1800 plus utilities. Average houses are around $1900-2100 plus utilities. Utilities are also expensive, in cold winter months we pay up to $300.00 per month. Groceries are also very expensive, for a family of four we spend more than a $1000 per month and we don't buy any luxury staff! And then you have to pay property tax (if you own a home), insurances (Car, home), daycare (we pay $1000 per month - crazy expensive!!), before and after school care fee (if you have no help), we pay for our kid $500 per month. Not to mention the cost of buying clothes, shoes etc. I would say for a family of four you need a very minimum of $5000 per month. If you have a leased car, you certainly need more than that. Right now we pay $6000 per month at least just to stay "out of the water" and you still haven't saved a penny, didn't go on vacation or spend money on any extra stuff like presents, books, or a movie theatre etc. Plus if you own a home, there is always something you need to fix (especially if it's an older home) and the cost of any skilled work here (like plumbing, electricity etc.) are insane too!!
Prices in Calgary are tailored to people's income who work in Oil&Gas however not every people work in that area and for those ones it sucks!

Honestly I don't recommend Calgary at this point even if it's a safe city. We are thinking about moving to BC or to ontario especially now since both of those provinces are coming up in terms of economy.

Here is a great website that is updated regularly:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Calgary

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christine

hi cristine,

regards,
Thank you Christine32. +1 for the detailed description :)