Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi - One more question. Please let me know your thoughts urgently. Let's say if my AVR is denied at Toronta airport due to scheduled interview. Will I be able to reenter at Toronto with my stamped CoPR? or will I be refused entry since I would not have PRTD. Thanks.
Visa stamp/ PR Card/PRTD - All these are documents that are required to travel via public/private carriers. As you are already at cbsa area / inside the country, you will just need to return back from airport area(there wont be any immigration as you are already inside the country), unlike exiting the country via international bridge that requires you to go through cbsa again. Via road trip, you still dont need prtd, just copr and passport is enough. So residing in Canada is not a doubt.

JustIndian

Mar 4, 2020
Visa stamp/ PR Card/PRTD - All these are documents that are required to travel via public/private carriers. As you are already at cbsa area / inside the country, you will just need to return back from airport area(there wont be any immigration as you are already inside the country), unlike exiting the country via international bridge that requires you to go through cbsa again. Via road trip, you still dont need prtd, just copr and passport is enough. So residing in Canada is not a doubt.
Thank you, this is very helpful! So, how is the exit process at Pearson? Isnt it like this? - 1. Take boarding passes, 2. Canada exit immigration process, 3. US immigration process, 4. Board and return to US
Are you saying there is no Step 2. at Pearson, and I will be able to just walk back out of the airport if US immigration is denied? wouldnt there be any form of exit stamping, etc. on the Canada side prior to going to the US immigration? Please let me know how it works at Pearson - want to make sure there are not surprises since I will be going alone with my daughter (5 years). Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you, this is very helpful! So, how is the exit process at Pearson? Isnt it like this? - 1. Take boarding passes, 2. Canada exit immigration process, 3. US immigration process, 4. Board and return to US
Are you saying there is no Step 2. at Pearson, and I will be able to just walk back out of the airport if US immigration is denied? wouldnt there be any form of exit stamping, etc. on the Canada side prior to going to the US immigration? Please let me know how it works at Pearson - want to make sure there are not surprises since I will be going alone with my daughter (5 years). Thanks.
Correct, no step 2 in airport. you just come back outside of airport. Even if they channelize you to cbsa immigration path while returning from plane, you can copr and passport to get through for which you dont require anything on US end(or the reason to come back).
There is no immigration exit currently in Canada. There is no automatic immigration exit in airports like we do it while driving(and exiting Canada) into the international bridge.

JustIndian

Mar 4, 2020
Correct, no step 2 in airport. you just come back outside of airport. Even if they channelize you to cbsa immigration path while returning from plane, you can copr and passport to get through for which you dont require anything on US end(or the reason to come back).
There is no immigration exit currently in Canada. There is no automatic immigration exit in airports like we do it while driving(and exiting Canada) into the international bridge.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

JustIndian

Mar 4, 2020
Hi - I came back to give a quick update. @harirajmohan - your knowledge of the process is spot on - a big thanks to you for your guidance.

1. Canada landing on March 14 went smooth - asked only for passports and CoPR. Had to tell customs that we have goods to follow.
2. I had an H1B visa interview scheduled for March 18 in Canada and I was able to use AVR on March 16 without any problem. Officer did not check any online database, etc. He just confirmed everything was okay based on the passport and petition. Then he stamped and noted details very diligently in the passport, and also created an online I-94 record and travel history.

coming2canada

Aug 21, 2017
I need some suggestion with my case.
I have COPR and PRV valid to till 21-May-2020.
I scheduled visa interview for H1 stamping at Ottowa on 15-May-2020.
Now with corona virus situation US/Canada border is closed for non-essential travel.
I contacted IRCC about my situation they came back saying validating PR is an essential travel and I will be allowed to enter Canada.

But my question will I be allowed to return to US?

Did anyone cross the border, completed the landing and return back to US with out any issues?

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Now with corona virus situation US/Canada border is closed for non-essential travel.
I contacted IRCC about my situation they came back saying validating PR is an essential travel and I will be allowed to enter Canada.

Did anyone cross the border, completed the landing and return back to US with out any issues?
Fly

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

Why are you not seeking extension from cic? It looks like they mentioned in website that they can accommodate. Try that first. Tell that you cant fly due to virus risk and risk of life. Dont ask if you can fly as they will always say that you can fly. Flying is the last option one should choose.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved-before

Stamping: Didnt you get cancellation of interview yet? Many received it even for June interviews and i wonder how come they did not for you? Log into the website and see if you still see the scheduled appointment or cancelled. I noticed first in the website that it got cancelled before i received cancellation notice.
https://ca.usembassy.gov/mission-canada-change-in-operations-due-to-covid-19/
"As of March 17, 2020, United States Embassy and all Consulates General in Canada are cancelling routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. "

Check with the consulate few days before you fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalika18

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The short answer is no. This won't work under COVID.

You will have to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks (14 days) after arriving in Canada. This is now mandatory with large fines for those who do not comply. So returning to the U.S. immediately will not be an option.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019

I called CBP and I was told H1 visas can travel back via land border (called the Detroit port of entry).
Though the CBP portal gave a mixed message (they said you can definitely fly but land border is closed, but you can check with your specific port).

That said travel is very risky at this point, so am also waiting and watching for now

Kalika18

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Why are you not seeking extension from cic? It looks like they mentioned in website that they can accommodate. Try that first. Tell that you cant fly due to virus risk and risk of life. Dont ask if you can fly as they will always say that you can fly. Flying is the last option one should choose.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved-before

Stamping: Didnt you get cancellation of interview yet? Many received it even for June interviews and i wonder how come they did not for you? Log into the website and see if you still see the scheduled appointment or cancelled. I noticed first in the website that it got cancelled before i received cancellation notice.
https://ca.usembassy.gov/mission-canada-change-in-operations-due-to-covid-19/
"As of March 17, 2020, United States Embassy and all Consulates General in Canada are cancelling routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. "

Check with the consulate few days before you fly.
Fully agree with asnwer above - you have to tell them clearly that you cannot and will not travel and hope for the best

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Fully agree with asnwer above - you have to tell them clearly that you cannot and will not travel and hope for the best
Well technically I can travel, so it remains unclear whether they would grant such a request.
Seems likely, but am waiting for a clear signal. Also everyone's situation is unique, and absent any clear guidance from IRCC everyone's tolerance to take that risk and "Hope for the best" is quite different.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi - I came back to give a quick update. @harirajmohan - your knowledge of the process is spot on - a big thanks to you for your guidance.

1. Canada landing on March 14 went smooth - asked only for passports and CoPR. Had to tell customs that we have goods to follow.
2. I had an H1B visa interview scheduled for March 18 in Canada and I was able to use AVR on March 16 without any problem. Officer did not check any online database, etc. He just confirmed everything was okay based on the passport and petition. Then he stamped and noted details very diligently in the passport, and also created an online I-94 record and travel history.
@JustIndian bro thank you so much for updating your experience.
This is very helpful, I am in the same/similar situation, I had filled out DS160 booked a H1B appointment at Ottawa the appointment was cancelled and am wondering if I will be disallowed from using AVR. But it looks like you were able to use it smoothly?

I had one question,did the CBP guard ask you something about "Did you attend a visa appointment" or "do you have a pending visa appointment", I am not sure what I should say if I get asked something like that.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@JustIndian bro thank you so much for updating your experience.
This is very helpful, I am in the same/similar situation, I had filled out DS160 booked a H1B appointment at Ottawa the appointment was cancelled and am wondering if I will be disallowed from using AVR. But it looks like you were able to use it smoothly?

I had one question,did the CBP guard ask you something about "Did you attend a visa appointment" or "do you have a pending visa appointment", I am not sure what I should say if I get asked something like that.
CBP is not going to see you and identify you as a person who went for interview. He will ask why did you go and where did you go to Canada. So dont tell something which they dont ask/expect. Tell why and where you went.
Even if asked, tell the truth that you did not attend any interview.