+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA with no H1B stamp (first H1B)

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I recaptured whatever I had from my previous visits I (obviously went to India few times to make up for it) so looking for final options ,with consulate closed all over looking into this option . No I do not have any visa for Canada ,only visa I have is B1/B2 which is valid till 2023.
Ok got it. possibly you got your extension during this covid.

Issues/Things to think about:
No visa to canada but you want to enter Canada to use AVR. By the time you get visa, you would be left just with 1 month in I94. But you want to be in Canada for 3-4 weeks and reenter US for extension.

sanojp

Aug 27, 2021
Hi,

I am currently in USA with expired F1 status and my first approved H1B on 10/1/2019 (I-797A in country change of status with i94). Could you kindly please provide me some guidance on below question?

• My COPR expires Feb 2021, As I have not travelled I do not have a H1B stamp on my passport.
  • - I have valid I797A with i94 attached/ F1 VISA is expired.
  • - My wife has H4 visa stamped as she came to USA last year after my H1B approval.
Can we use the AVR process without H1B stamping as I am planning to do a soft land in December 2020/January 2021?

Thanks a lot!
We are in a similar situation. Were you able to travel and return back without any issues? Please let me know.

sanojp

Aug 27, 2021
Hi Hariraj,

Thanks for all your inputs previously.

Successfully back to US after 29 days staying in Canada using AVR. I was given a new i94 at my entry with maxout time (06-2023). Now, i have a question, can this be used to re-enter beyond 30days? Not sure if anyone have tried that after getting a new i94 at the border.

Thanks
Did you have expired visa in the passport in the same visa category? Please let me know

ca2021

Mar 2, 2021
Hi,
I have a question regarding AVR. I work as a engineer in a health care sector.My spouse and kids are in canada and I need to travel canada.
Currently I am on H1B (never stamped) as I came to US on F1. My status changed from F1 to H1 in 2017 but could not travel for H1 stamping.
Current status- h1 b (never stamped)
Entered US - F1 (now expired)

Can I enter canada on OWP through air/land ?
Am I eligible for AVR if I come back in 25 days even though there was change of staus from F1 to H1?
What happens if entry is denied at border , will there be a deportation history?
What should be POE to US while trying to return for AVR ?
Will the i194 at the bottom of i797 valid for AVR?

Appreciate your inputs and experiences.

Thanks.

ca2021

Mar 2, 2021
Hi,

I am currently in USA with expired F1 status and my first approved H1B on 10/1/2019 (I-797A in country change of status with i94). Could you kindly please provide me some guidance on below question?

• My COPR expires Feb 2021, As I have not travelled I do not have a H1B stamp on my passport.
  • - I have valid I797A with i94 attached/ F1 VISA is expired.
  • - My wife has H4 visa stamped as she came to USA last year after my H1B approval.
Can we use the AVR process without H1B stamping as I am planning to do a soft land in December 2020/January 2021?

Thanks a lot!
Were you able to reenter US with expired F1 and no H1 stamping ? Please let us know .

Thanks.

kinjal1110

Jan 2, 2019
Hey guys, I know it might sound dumb. My employer gave me only i94(bottom part). I had to do some tactics to even get a photo copy of i797. Do we need original i797 for avr or just a photo copy is fine?
Hi did you face any issue with copy of I797 or did they require original document? I am also in same situation and want to see if I can travel with I-797 copies.
First H1: I have only original I-797A but not the original I-797C(never received from employer).
H1 Extension: I have all documents' scan copy with me. My employer never sent me physical copies. Can I travel with a copy or will need original doc?

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi did you face any issue with copy of I797 or did they require original document? I am also in same situation and want to see if I can travel with I-797 copies.
First H1: I have only original I-797A but not the original I-797C(never received from employer).
H1 Extension: I have all documents' scan copy with me. My employer never sent me physical copies. Can I travel with a copy or will need original doc?
I just told some stories to employer to give me original i797 and I got it. I never used it though.

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hello,
I already landed in Canada via land border couple of months back and then re entered USA after 3 weeks in Canada using AVR rule.
Today, I again entered Canada via land border. They let me in but there is no stamp on my passport indicating what date I entered Canada. There is no stamp for leaving USA gas well.

Question: I plan to go to USA within 30 days using AVR rule, but how do they know that I’m coming within 30 days and no beyond that. My passport has a date of first landing in Canada but not the most recent one. If US agents ask me to prove I’m coming back with 30 days.. how do I go about it??

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello,
I already landed in Canada via land border couple of months back and then re entered USA after 3 weeks in Canada using AVR rule.
Today, I again entered Canada via land border. They let me in but there is no stamp on my passport indicating what date I entered Canada. There is no stamp for leaving USA gas well.

Question: I plan to go to USA within 30 days using AVR rule, but how do they know that I’m coming within 30 days and no beyond that. My passport has a date of first landing in Canada but not the most recent one. If US agents ask me to prove I’m coming back with 30 days.. how do I go about it??
They have access to your i94 travel history, if not all atleast for last couple of months and its all recorded electronically. You neednt worry about that but travel within 30 days and you are good.

BlaqqHammer

Jul 21, 2022
Hi,
I have a question regarding AVR. I work as a engineer in a health care sector.My spouse and kids are in canada and I need to travel canada.
Currently I am on H1B (never stamped) as I came to US on F1. My status changed from F1 to H1 in 2017 but could not travel for H1 stamping.
Current status- h1 b (never stamped)
Entered US - F1 (now expired)

Can I enter canada on OWP through air/land ?
Am I eligible for AVR if I come back in 25 days even though there was change of staus from F1 to H1?
What happens if entry is denied at border , will there be a deportation history?
What should be POE to US while trying to return for AVR ?
Will the i194 at the bottom of i797 valid for AVR?

Appreciate your inputs and experiences.

Thanks.
This the question I want answered and seems no one has the answer...Help

simplynikhil

Jul 29, 2022
Hello Members,

I have not used AVR anytime before, but planning to use it in coming weeks. Couple of Questions:
I have expired (03/28/2022) H1B visa stamped and approved I-797 till 2025.
1) Can we enter from any border (ex. Near to Toronto) and exit from another (ex. near to Montreal)
2) I have received my I-797 (for H1B) after extension , however my wife hasn't received the approval letter for H4 (seems it is taking almost 8-12 months).
While entering back using AVR, do we need both approval letters/I-94 (H1 and H4) or dependent can use the I-94 as attached with I-797.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Nikk

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello Members,

I have not used AVR anytime before, but planning to use it in coming weeks. Couple of Questions:
I have expired (03/28/2022) H1B visa stamped and approved I-797 till 2025.
1) Can we enter from any border (ex. Near to Toronto) and exit from another (ex. near to Montreal)
2) I have received my I-797 (for H1B) after extension , however my wife hasn't received the approval letter for H4 (seems it is taking almost 8-12 months).
While entering back using AVR, do we need both approval letters/I-94 (H1 and H4) or dependent can use the I-94 as attached with I-797.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Nikk
1. yes
2. No, dependents needs to have their approval to enter back!

simplynikhil

Jul 29, 2022
1. yes
2. No, dependents needs to have their approval to enter back!
Thanks for the reply. If you can assist based on the details below:
Here are more details to it.
1. Our current I-94 with DHS is valid till July-2024 (Based on the previous H4 with company B), I have switched couple of months back to company A and only received H1 approval.
Since current I-94 with DHS is still valid, can dependent use that to enter back ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Nikk

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hello Guys,
Need your advice here. I’m a PR holder but work on H1B in USA. I have full remote option and company is fine with me working from Canada.I have valid H1B approval but no visa stamp. Used AVR to enter USA.
I already visit Canada couple of times with below timelines-
1st Visit - stayed for 3 weeks then came back to US.
Stayed in USA for a month.
2nd Visit - stayed for 4 weeks and now I’m back.
Again after a month in US, I will go back..

Question- Can I do this more frequently with less time spent in US and more time in Canada.. like

4 week (canada) 1 week US and repeat…at least for a year

fn21

Oct 6, 2022
I'm in the exam same boat. Came to US as a student on F-1. Moved to H-1B and never left the country. Nice to know we can just use AVR. I plan on doing just that for my soft landing in the future.
How was your experience traveling, I am planning to do the same