+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Auto Visa Revalidation still valid after DS 160 submission?

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi All,

We are eligible for Auto visa re-validation and even used it a few days ago. We want to visit Canada again but my wife has submitted her DS-160 online(for visa interview in India) but hasn't paid the visa fee (and hence not schedule any appointment yet either).

As per the cbp rules, here, it says the person in not admissible under this rule if,

"Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued;"

Now, I am not able to decide whether my wife is considered to have been applied with her mere act of submitting DS-160 without paying any fee or scheduling any appointment.

Does any one have any experience or any info on this?

I called CBP at the POE but he said they don't know about forms or the process and hence can not tell if she is eligible or not

Reactions: ryeCatcher

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Definitely DS160 submission or even interview scheduling (one can schedule interview even without ds160 submission with just confirmation number) doesn't mean anything. Only if you attend interview, you are considered to have been applied for new visa.

Your old expired visa gets cancelled when you appear for interview, hence it cannot be used for automatic revalidation. When you submit DS160 or schedule interview, nothing happens to your old visa stamp. This the concept behind the whole thing

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
@ustocanada49 what did you end up doing? Were you able to travel using AVR? I am in a similar situation and really unsure what to do
It is absolutely okay to travel using AVR with pending or cancelled appointments or even with ds160 submitted. You 'apply' for US visa only when you appear for interview. I have reached the CBP customer care on this too, and similar to your experience, they had no clue on what this is all about.

FWIW, all these appointment systems are not even owned by the government and are managed by third parties for most part and don't mean anything at all.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Before crossing border, we asked a border agent in person and he suggested not to travel. We thought about it and still took the risk and traveled.

We made the trip and came back in fine. We were made to wait for sometime and asked additional questions( unrelated to the DS160 ) and were let in after that.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Before crossing border, we asked a border agent in person and he suggested not to travel. We thought about it and still took the risk and traveled.

We made the trip and came back in fine. We were made to wait for sometime and asked additional questions( unrelated to the DS160 ) and were let in after that.
Great, thank you for sharing.
So this was over land border? Why did the original border agent suggest not to travel? I'm impressed you took a chance, glad it worked out :)

What were the additional questions you were asked on return?

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Yes. Land border. Not sure why he said so. Apparently the last agent forgot to update the system with my previous entry exit info. They just asked a few questions about my past travel and current travel, stamped new date in my passport and let us go.

jayrao653

Jan 21, 2020
  1. hi @DEEPCUR @ustocanada49 - I'm glad to see this thread, thanks for sharing your insights.
    1. I'm in similar boat now-
    2. Dropbox scheduled
      1. DS160 not submitted
      2. Docs not submitted for dropbox yet
  2. Question-
    1. I'm looking to do daily commute to US, any concerns on above?? thanks in advance

supdhy1

Jul 3, 2022
It is absolutely okay to travel using AVR with pending or cancelled appointments or even with ds160 submitted. You 'apply' for US visa only when you appear for interview. I have reached the CBP customer care on this too, and similar to your experience, they had no clue on what this is all about.

FWIW, all these appointment systems are not even owned by the government and are managed by third parties for most part and don't mean anything at all.
hi, my situation is exactly similar. Need ur inputs. Are u still active on this thread.

My COS from F1 to H1B was approved on Oct 2020. Since then I have not traveled outside of USA not have even gone for H1B visa stamping. I want to travel to Canada for a week for some personal work. It’s very urgent.
I have expired F1 visa on my passport and valid I94 and I797.
Is it possible for me to travel to Canada and come back to USA via air using Automatic revalidation.

I am trying to get H1B visa appointment but m unable to find any dates

I have filled DS160 and actively looking for visa dates but I have not attended any interview so far.

My concern is that Can I use Automatic revalidation to make a short visit to Canada.

Is AVR can be used if DS160 is filled and visa dates are already selected for next year but have not attended visa interview so far.

Please respond once u see this text.

supdhy1

Jul 3, 2022
Hi All,

We are eligible for Auto visa re-validation and even used it a few days ago. We want to visit Canada again but my wife has submitted her DS-160 online(for visa interview in India) but hasn't paid the visa fee (and hence not schedule any appointment yet either).

As per the cbp rules, here, it says the person in not admissible under this rule if,

"Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued;"

Now, I am not able to decide whether my wife is considered to have been applied with her mere act of submitting DS-160 without paying any fee or scheduling any appointment.

Does any one have any experience or any info on this?

I called CBP at the POE but he said they don't know about forms or the process and hence can not tell if she is eligible or not

hi, my situation is exactly similar. Need ur inputs. Are u still active on this thread.

My COS from F1 to H1B was approved on Oct 2020. Since then I have not traveled outside of USA not have even gone for H1B visa stamping. I want to travel to Canada for a week for some personal work. It’s very urgent.
Is it possible for me to travel to Canada and come back to USA via air using Automatic revalidation.

I have filled DS160 and actively looking for visa dates but I have not attended any interview so far.

My concern is that Can I use Automatic revalidation to make a short visit to Canada.

Is AVR can be used if DS160 is filled and visa dates are already selected for next year but have not attended visa interview so far.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

Yes you can visit Canada and go back using AVR to USA. No worries. Just carry all your H1b docs and you are good to go. Cbp officers are well aware of AVR these days , you will have no issues.

Anandbala

Jul 17, 2022
  1. hi @DEEPCUR @ustocanada49 - I'm glad to see this thread, thanks for sharing your insights.
    1. I'm in similar boat now-
    2. Dropbox scheduled
      1. DS160 not submitted
      2. Docs not submitted for dropbox yet
  2. Question-
    1. I'm looking to do daily commute to US, any concerns on above?? thanks in advance
Hey, I am in a very similar situation as you are. I have applied for my H1B extension in Canada vis drop box and I commute daily for work to the US. Were you able to enter the US using AVR? My current visa expires next month and I wanted to know your experience so I could get some clarity.

Sep 23, 2023
Definitely DS160 submission or even interview scheduling (one can schedule interview even without ds160 submission with just confirmation number) doesn't mean anything. Only if you attend interview, you are considered to have been applied for new visa.

Your old expired visa gets cancelled when you appear for interview, hence it cannot be used for automatic revalidation. When you submit DS160 or schedule interview, nothing happens to your old visa stamp. This the concept behind the whole thing
Hi......I am going to attend the conference this October, and my visa has expired but have valid DS2019. But I came to know that there should not be any application pending in India for visa renewal. So, I cancelled my dropbox appointment scheduled for November 2023, but there is no procedure to cancel DS160 application. And I also paid fees. I got waiver for interview. Do you think I am still eligible for automatic revalidation.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi......I am going to attend the conference this October, and my visa has expired but have valid DS2019. But I came to know that there should not be any application pending in India for visa renewal. So, I cancelled my dropbox appointment scheduled for November 2023, but there is no procedure to cancel DS160 application. And I also paid fees. I got waiver for interview. Do you think I am still eligible for automatic revalidation.
Yes you can. I have travelled with a scheduled Consular interview. Had no issues.