+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authorized to study or not-Unclear OWP condition-Common-law Inland

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
Hi everybody,

I've read different threads in this forum, also, I searched in google, and I haven't been able to find answers for some important questions. I will really appreciate your help.

I am an International student enrolled in my last course which started before I applied for the PR and it will finish in August. Also, my study permit it is still valid until November and I let immigration office know that I am a student, it is in the OWP application. I am the PA in the sponsorship common-law inland application. I already received the AOR and I just received the OWP, but in my OWP there is a condition which says that "unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training course". Also, at the bottom of the document, in Remarks/Observations, it says: "Temporary resident status maintained as per R183(6), Pending FC APR."

Then, I have the following questions.

1. They added the condition "unless authorized, prohibited from attending any education institution..." and, also, in Remarks/Observations, "Temporary resident status maintained as per R183(6), Pending FC APR.". Does this mean that I am authorized to study because I retain my status according to the section 183(6) of the Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) "the temporary resident retains their status, subject to any other conditions imposed, during the extended period"? Or, am I not authorized because it is subject to any other conditions imposed, but also it says unless authorized? Duh!

2. Is my student permit still valid or not because I got the OWP? I want to know it because I am not sure if I should notify MSP and send my OWP.

I hope you can help me, it is kind of confusing to understand if I retain my status as a student or worker, and if I am authorized to study or not.

Thank you and have a good day

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everybody,

I've read different threads in this forum, also, I searched in google, and I haven't been able to find answers for some important questions. I will really appreciate your help.

I am an International student enrolled in my last course which started before I applied for the PR and it will finish in August. Also, my study permit it is still valid until November and I let immigration office know that I am a student, it is in the OWP application. I am the PA in the sponsorship common-law inland application. I already received the AOR and I just received the OWP, but in my OWP there is a condition which says that "unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training course". Also, at the bottom of the document, in Remarks/Observations, it says: "Temporary resident status maintained as per R183(6), Pending FC APR."

1. They added the condition "unless authorized, prohibited from attending any education institution..." and, also, in Remarks/Observations, "Temporary resident status maintained as per R183(6), Pending FC APR.". Does this mean that I am authorized to study because I retain my status according to the section 183(6) of the Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) "the temporary resident retains their status, subject to any other conditions imposed, during the extended period"? Or, am I not authorized because it is subject to any other conditions imposed, but also it says unless authorized? Duh!

2. Is my student permit still valid or not because I got the OWP? I want to know it because I am not sure if I should notify MSP and send my OWP.

I hope you can help me, it is kind of confusing to understand if I retain my status as a student or worker, and if I am authorized to study or not.

You applied to change your status to worker, so no, you are no longer a student. If you are still studying, you need to stop.

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
You applied to change your status to worker, so no, you are no longer a student. If you are still studying, you need to stop.
Ok, then, why does immigration agency allows international students with student permit status to apply to the OWP pilot program? It doesn’t make sense.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, then, why does the government allow international students with student permit status to apply to the OWP pilot program? It doesn’t make sense.
Of course it makes sense. Some people don't want to continue their studies and instead want to work. Or they want to resume studies after becoming a PR when it is significantly cheaper.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
By applying for the WP you are essentially asking for a change of status.....student>worker. You cannot be both at the same time

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
Of course it makes sense. Some people don't want to continue their studies and instead want to work. Or they want to resume studies after becoming a PR when it is significantly cheaper.
For you, it makes sense, not for me because I have never read anywhere that they will not allow me to keep studying my last course. It’s kind of obvious if I’m asking for help. Then, how can I know of the condition “unless authorize” to study applies to me? Because if there’s that exception, then, you’re partially answering my question. It's possible to continue studying under that statement.

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
By applying for the WP you are essentially asking for a change of status.....student>worker. You cannot be both at the same time
Yes, I know, but they allow to study under that condition “unless authorized”. That’s my question.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You cannot study. You are not going to be authorized. It's not a grey area, it is black and white.

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
You cannot study. You are not going to be authorized. It's not a grey area, it is black and white.
Thanks! It makes sense. Where can I read about what you’re talking about? Have you ever read this kind of case in this forum?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi everybody,

I also wanted to apply for an OWP with my spousal PR application but was told by a consultant that I will no longer be a student if I get OWP. If you receive an OWP you change your status from student to a worker so you must stop with your studies asap

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I also wanted to apply for an OWP with my spousal PR application but was told by a consultant that I will no longer be a student if I get OWP. If you receive an OWP you change your status from student to a worker so you must stop with your studies asap
Your consultant is correct.

Apr 11, 2019
I’ve also been wondering about this and from what I understand you can have both an OWP and a valid study permit at the same time. As long as you comply with the conditions of both permits there should not be a problem.

If your permit says “unless authorized” then the respective other permit (work or study) are proof of your compliance (“authorization”) with R183(1) which are the conditions imposed on all temporary residents.

For example even CIC on their website for “working off campus” (which is often a condition on study permits) says: “you can’t work off campus if ... (list of situations) ... if any of these situations apply to you, AND YOU WANT TO WORK WHILE STUDYING IN CANADA you need to APPLY FOR A WORK PERMIT”

So why would they tell you you need a work permit if somehow you would stop being a student? The text is pretty clear that it is possible to be both at once: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

Reactions: Kits