+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

authorized period of stay?

dman91

Dec 30, 2012
Hello,

I visited Canada last week for a day from US using the Niagara peace bridge and I think I got a entry stamp on my passport where the stamp looks like:

CSBA
XXXXXX
Peace Bridge

XX MA 2013.

Is that really an entry stamp or authorized period of stay stamp? I want to visit Vancouver sometime next month using the same single entry visa although the officer seems to have put a cross on the visa.

Will that be a problem?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you American?

robbiefernando

Star Member
Mar 18, 2013
Hey There.. your question is not very clear to me but I will try and answer it based on what I understand :

I assume that you are from a non visa exempt country like me . If you are, please read further.

If you entered Canada on a single entry visa, you can visit Vancouver again next month provided you did not visit any other country apart from US since you last left Canada. Please note if you have visited any other country you cant re- eneter canada. Hope this makes sense.

I am an Indian citizen, travelled to canada last month on a single entry visa, The officer crossed my visa at the airport too and stamped the passport without any expiry date, which means I could have stayed for six months. I left Vancouver after few days , went to US for a holiday - covered entire west coast and re entered Vancouver and stayed again for a week on the same single entry visa. I was also planning to go to Mexico but I was told if I would do that my single entry visa would no longer allow me to enter canada from US.

Now that I am back in my native country that visa is Invalid.

Please refer to this link ( I have copied some of the information that could help ) - http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/visas/trv-after-receiving_vrt-apres-recevoir.aspx

I plan to re-enter Canada after my visit to the United States. Do I need a single or multiple entry visa?

Your single-entry visa will allow you repeated entries to Canada from the USA within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. The authorized period of stay is the time granted by the port of entry officer at the time of your original entry to Canada or, if you have been granted an extension, the period allowed by your extension.

However, if you leave Canada or the United States for another country within the period of your authorized stay, this is no longer applicable. You lose your temporary resident status once you leave Canada for another country other than the United States.

To re-enter Canada after leaving the country for a destination other than the US, you will require a multiple-entry visa. You cannot change a single-entry to a multiple-entry visa after it has been granted. You will then have to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa.

Hope this answers your question.

Scylla - You seem to know a lot more then I do. I hope I have given the correct information.

dman91

Dec 30, 2012
@ syclla - No, I am a visa-national :)

@ robbiefernando - Thanks for the details -- it definitely makes sense, however, my main question is the stamp I got in my passport an entry stamp? Do authorized period of stay stamps say so? I entered on a TRV from US and after the visit directly entered the US again.