+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authorization to work while waiting on the second closed work permit

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
I have a full time job with a closed work permit (specific to my employer), and I would like to get another closed work permit for another employer for a part time job (I will be working for both employers at the same time). I wondered if it is possible to request a work authorization while waiting on the approval of the application for this second job? I have searched IRCC website and the only thing that came to close to what my situation is, is this page :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/changing-employment.html

It allows people to get work authorization immediately if changing employer/job. I wondered if the word "changing" generally means "acquiring a new work permit" and does not condition the person to quit the original job immediately.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The page you've linked is about a temporary measure intended to benefit those who were on closed work permits and experienced job loss due to COVID.

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
That's true ... that's the closest thing I could find to my case in the IRCC website. Looks like there is nothing for people who are in my situation, we just have to wait for the approval of the second closed work permit before we can start working. I will call CIC tomorrow and post here if there is actually a way.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

That's true ... that's the closest thing I could find to my case in the IRCC website. Looks like there is nothing for people who are in my situation, we just have to wait for the approval of the second closed work permit before we can start working. I will call CIC tomorrow and post here if there is actually a way.
1. It is unlikely that CIC will approve a 2nd work permit for a part time secondary job.

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Hi,
I have seen people on this forum having a full and part time job with work permits for both. Do you suggest I apply for an open work permit? That would be impossible, as I don't see how I could qualify for that ( I satisfy none of the eligibility requirements ).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I have seen people on this forum having a full and part time job with work permits for both. Do you suggest I apply for an open work permit? That would be impossible, as I don't see how I could qualify for that ( I satisfy none of the eligibility requirements ).
Do you meet any of the requirements for an open work permit? It only makes sense to apply for an OWP if you meet the requirements.

People who have part time jobs on work permit are generally on open work permits (e.g. PGWP, OWP, SOWP, IEC, etc.) and not on employer sponsored closed work permits.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.