+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authorization letter for travel exemption for my spouse

SALLYMA

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Hello all

I am in canada on pgwp and my pr file is under process, my husband holds valid visitor visa for canada.
I am curious to know if anyone applied for authorization letter for travel exemption and got an approval?
Also a non discretionary reason is required, coming to meet wife is considered non discretionary?
Please advise

Thank you

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
did you get exemption letter?
This person didn't and doesn't yet qualify for that. Being an spouse of a person holding a temporary resident status doesn't grant any travel exemption at this point and didn't back then either.

harry0207

Dec 6, 2020
This person didn't and doesn't yet qualify for that. Being an spouse of a person holding a temporary resident status doesn't grant any travel exemption at this point and didn't back then either.
I do not think this is correct. I am a spouse of a person holding a temporary work permit and I got approved for the authorization letter in September. Currently I am typing this in Canada.

You can find more information from here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html under the sections: How to unite with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily and how to request a written authorization letter from IRCC.

I applied for the letter at the end of August, back then the IRCC website stated they would contact me within 5 business days, however, I waited for almost a month and got it eventually at the end of September, at which point I was about to cancel my travel as my ticket was the first of October. Now IRCC website stated 14 business days, so I guess leave enough time to apply for the authorization letter and make travel plans after getting the letter. Of course, you must meet all the health requirements and protocols issued by the government of Canada, such as having a plan for 14-day quarantine, download ArriveCan and fill out information, etc. At the departure airport, I printed out everything (authorization letter, copy of marriage certificate, the copy of my spouse's work permit, quarantine plan, and all other info I/you deem relevant) and showed the airline staff who had to take pictures of my documents and send them back to their Headquarters before issuing my boarding passes. Also upon landing in YYZ, I was asked to enter the room and answer a few questions from custom officers. I did mention that we are also in the PR application process and he could see our application in his system. He gave me a six-month stamp on my passport. However, I do not think "meet wife" is a non-discretionary reason for your spouse to travel, but more like re/unite with wife and live with wife afterwards. You can also follow the twitter of IRCC and get a vibe of how long you have to wait before you can get one. There many backlogs in this regard too, and so many people vented their frustrations there too. Also, I did see tweets from others saying they got rejected from applying for the authorization letter. I guess it is extremely important to attach all the required documents in one email and give a very convincing non-discretionary reason to come to Canada.

Before I came, I read so much about exemption scopes and authorization letters, but many of the sources in my language mentioned immediate family members of Canadian citizens and PR residents could apply for the authorization letter, which was wrong and misleading. Eventually I followed the guidelines from IRCC and here I am. So I want to help others to reunite with their spouses like I did during this trying time. I hope you guys and every one else in the same situation will be reunited very soon.

akshr23

Nov 23, 2020
I do not think this is correct. I am a spouse of a person holding a temporary work permit and I got approved for the authorization letter in September. Currently I am typing this in Canada.

You can find more information from here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html under the sections: How to unite with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily and how to request a written authorization letter from IRCC.

I applied for the letter at the end of August, back then the IRCC website stated they would contact me within 5 business days, however, I waited for almost a month and got it eventually at the end of September, at which point I was about to cancel my travel as my ticket was the first of October. Now IRCC website stated 14 business days, so I guess leave enough time to apply for the authorization letter and make travel plans after getting the letter. Of course, you must meet all the health requirements and protocols issued by the government of Canada, such as having a plan for 14-day quarantine, download ArriveCan and fill out information, etc. At the departure airport, I printed out everything (authorization letter, copy of marriage certificate, the copy of my spouse's work permit, quarantine plan, and all other info I/you deem relevant) and showed the airline staff who had to take pictures of my documents and send them back to their Headquarters before issuing my boarding passes. Also upon landing in YYZ, I was asked to enter the room and answer a few questions from custom officers. I did mention that we are also in the PR application process and he could see our application in his system. He gave me a six-month stamp on my passport. However, I do not think "meet wife" is a non-discretionary reason for your spouse to travel, but more like re/unite with wife and live with wife afterwards. You can also follow the twitter of IRCC and get a vibe of how long you have to wait before you can get one. There many backlogs in this regard too, and so many people vented their frustrations there too. Also, I did see tweets from others saying they got rejected from applying for the authorization letter. I guess it is extremely important to attach all the required documents in one email and give a very convincing non-discretionary reason to come to Canada.

Before I came, I read so much about exemption scopes and authorization letters, but many of the sources in my language mentioned immediate family members of Canadian citizens and PR residents could apply for the authorization letter, which was wrong and misleading. Eventually I followed the guidelines from IRCC and here I am. So I want to help others to reunite with their spouses like I did during this trying time. I hope you guys and every one else in the same situation will be reunited very soon.
Thank you for such a detailed explanation!
I hope I can reunite soon!

SALLYMA

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you so much !
I am happy for you!
I hope I get too, I attached everything that was asked, my reason is also to live with spouse and reunite with spouse
I have pr application in progress but since my spouse is not here it is put on hold
This is the 4th time I have applied hoping to get positive response

harry0207

Dec 6, 2020
Thank you so much !
I am happy for you!
I hope I get too, I attached everything that was asked, my reason is also to live with spouse and reunite with spouse
I have pr application in progress but since my spouse is not here it is put on hold
It is definitely a stressful and frustrating situation. I heard sending multiple email could delay the issue of authorization letter. I sent two actually, one late August and one early September. They replied my second email at the end of September.
I have a question: how do you know they have put your PR application on hold due to outland dependent? We submitted the application in July when I was an Outland dependent, but after I got back, I raised a webform informing the change of address, but I never received any reply from IRCC. So our application is still on hold? Thank you.

SALLYMA

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
It is definitely a stressful and frustrating situation. I heard sending multiple email could delay the issue of authorization letter. I sent two actually, one late August and one early September. They replied my second email at the end of September.
I have a question: how do you know they have put your PR application on hold due to outland dependent? We submitted the application in July when I was an Outland dependent, but after I got back, I raised a webform informing the change of address, but I never received any reply from IRCC. So our application is still on hold? Thank you.
call ircc and check the status of application you will come to know

zeguy993

Sep 24, 2019
Any idea if you need the authorization letter for an Outland spouse who will be coming with an open work permit?

zeguy993

Sep 24, 2019

Any idea if you need the authorization letter for an Outland spouse who will be coming with an open work permit?

zeguy993

Sep 24, 2019
Okay thanks for thé link, spouse can travel because of the following without a authorization letter if they have a letter of introduction for an open work permit.

per instructions in link you sent:

Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. They can travel to Canada if they meet one of the conditions below:

• they’re travelling directly from the U.S. for a non-discretionary purpose
  • they have a written authorization from IRCC to reunite with a temporary resident of Canada (see Uniting with immediate family members for more information)
  • they have a letter of introduction for an open work permit

harry0207

Dec 6, 2020
Okay thanks for thé link, spouse can travel because of the following without a authorization letter if they have a letter of introduction for an open work permit.

per instructions in link you sent:

Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. They can travel to Canada if they meet one of the conditions below:

• they’re travelling directly from the U.S. for a non-discretionary purpose
  • they have a written authorization from IRCC to reunite with a temporary resident of Canada (see Uniting with immediate family members for more information)
  • they have a letter of introduction for an open work permit
I guess it would be better to choose the easiest way to come to Canada.

Toks01

Jun 7, 2017
Thank you so much !
I am happy for you!
We are both in the same boat , I have also applied twice and it was refused both times and the SOWP submitted isn’t processed further after medical was passed. Our Pr is on hold as well because my spouse is not in Canada even though we’ve passed eligibility, criminality and security , I sent an email for travel exemption again last week hoping to get a positive this time