+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authorization letter for ETA holders URGENCY!

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
Hi everyone.

I am helping my younger sister to get an authorization letter from IRCC so she can travel to stay with my parents who are temporary residents in Canada. She's a dependent child and an ETA holder but it is most likely we will extend her visitor status due to her needing urgent attention and support as she is suffering from a mental health condition and I am unable to take care of her full time due to my other commitments. We have no other family members here in UK so the only solution is to stay with my parents.

Due to her mental health, she is unable to travel by herself so me and my other sister will join her (we are also ETA holders). Would we need our own separate authorization letter as well or is it enough to mention in my sister's request that we will be accompanying her?

Has anyone being in this situation? What should we do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone.

I am helping my younger sister to get an authorization letter from IRCC so she can travel to stay with my parents who are temporary residents in Canada. She's a dependent child and an ETA holder but it is most likely we will extend her visitor status due to her needing urgent attention and support as she is suffering from a mental health condition and I am unable to take care of her full time due to my other commitments. We have no other family members here in UK so the only solution is to stay with my parents.

Due to her mental health, she is unable to travel by herself so me and my other sister will join her (we are also ETA holders). Would we need our own separate authorization letter as well or is it enough to mention in my sister's request that we will be accompanying her?

Has anyone being in this situation? What should we do?
You'll need a separate authorization letter. Recommend that either you or your sister apply (not both). If the purpose is to accompany your sister to Canada there is no need for both of you to travel. If both of you apply, that may make it look non essential.

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
You'll need a separate authorization letter. Recommend that either you or your sister apply (not both). If the purpose is to accompany your sister to Canada there is no need for both of you to travel. If both of you apply, that may make it look non essential.
I understand. The reason why I wanted my other sister to join is simply because I will be staying there for two weeks only (Quarantine Period) as I have a job to go back to and I thought it might be best if my other sister would join as she would be staying for a month and would be helpful in keeping my younger sister some company. Can it also not be based on Family Reunification purposes? We haven't seen my mother specifically for two years now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand. The reason why I wanted my other sister to join is simply because I will be staying there for two weeks only (Quarantine Period) as I have a job to go back to and I thought it might be best if my other sister would join as she would be staying for a month and would be helpful in keeping my younger sister some company. Can it also not be based on Family Reunification purposes? We haven't seen my mother specifically for two years now.
The reason for travel needs to be non discretionary to get authorization approved.

Reactions: chiziami

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also I forgot to mention, I am considered an adult child so am I considered an extended family member?
You are. However I believe the extended family member rule only applies to those visiting Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If your parents are in Canada temporarily, I don't believe the rule benefits you. You need to go for the authorization.

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
You are. However I believe the extended family member rule only applies to those visiting Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If your parents are in Canada temporarily, I don't believe the rule benefits you. You need to go for the authorization.
Thank you so much for your help!

joekao222

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
I urge you to apply ASAP. I just received my eTA authorization letter and it took 45 days total to receive it. I applied on Oct 9th and received it Nov 24th.

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
I urge you to apply ASAP. I just received my eTA authorization letter and it took 45 days total to receive it. I applied on Oct 9th and received it Nov 24th.
Do you think they take so long because the request is submitted via Web Form for ETA holders? My dad got his approved in 12 days but his request was sent directly to IRCC email so not sure if that made the difference.

joekao222

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Do you think they take so long because the request is submitted via Web Form for ETA holders? My dad got his approved in 12 days but his request was sent directly to IRCC email so not sure if that made the difference.
Yeah I believe the webform might be slower. But they don't allow eTA holders to apply via the IRCC email.