+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authenticity of foreign documents

profugus

Nov 25, 2017
Cheers again! Another legal question, if some of you can help me please...

So, as I wrote in another thread, I have around 1000 pages of documents for IRB in an asylum case. About 800 of these are official ones from police and court proceedings. I've scanned and archived all my official documents for many years, but I never kept the originals. Some of them are not even scanned, but directly photographed at court, from the file itself. (It costs about 50 cents to get a page copied in my country, but it's free to take photos.)

The first problem is that now I don't have any originals.

The second is that even if I had, they are usually only stamped and signed on the last page, and there is no certification or anything that would prove that the rest of the pages are genuine too.

The third is that I obviously can't go to my country's authorities to request new copies. Firstly because I am not in my country any more, and they'd give me something else than documents if I went back. Secondly because it'd take a lot of time and money to obtain them again, possibly years. Many of them would be impossible, as for example the prosecution service doesn't provide new copies of lost documents. But thirdly and most importantly, even if I went through the mire and obtained original copies, they would not be certified in any way. They would be the same documents which I already have in PDF, with a stamp on the last page. There is no way to get, for example, a judge to certify that each and every page of these documents are genuine. It's just not a thing in my country, they give you the documents and there you go.

The only thing I can do is to get my lawyer certify that the documents were obtained from him. But a lawyer is not an "authorized person" by IRB terms.

What do you think about this? Is there something I can - and should - do?