+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian wanting to work in Canada - How's the visa work?

Mar 27, 2017
Hi guys!

Thanks for letting me drop in.

Australian here, looking to get a working visa in Canada. I'm a professional in the IT/Marketing field and looking to work/holiday in Canada for a few years. Always wanted to experience living in Canada and at the time of my life where a challenge is needed (I'm 28, working for years)

I am a little confused about the process in which I can apply and such. The CIC website explains it, but its a mess. How do I go about it?

Also, curious on two aspects:
One: I've heard there is a lottery - anyone know the chances of an Australian getting in to work?
Two: If i were to obtain private healthcare (I have stomach/back issues - but nothing debilitating) would I be granted the visa? I've heard rumours of people being denied because of their health.

Any info and answers would be much appreciated!

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
australian_andy said:
Hi guys!

Thanks for letting me drop in.

Australian here, looking to get a working visa in Canada. I'm a professional in the IT/Marketing field and looking to work/holiday in Canada for a few years. Always wanted to experience living in Canada and at the time of my life where a challenge is needed (I'm 28, working for years)

I am a little confused about the process in which I can apply and such. The CIC website explains it, but its a mess. How do I go about it?

Also, curious on two aspects:
One: I've heard there is a lottery - anyone know the chances of an Australian getting in to work?
Two: If i were to obtain private healthcare (I have stomach/back issues - but nothing debilitating) would I be granted the visa? I've heard rumours of people being denied because of their health.

Any info and answers would be much appreciated!
It's pretty clearly outlined on the website - you are after the IEC work permit.

Requirements are that you are under 31 and have at least $2500 in funds available. You dont need to do a medical for this permit, you need to have travel insurance.

For Aussies the pool invites are unlimited, so you will get an invite, just a matter of how long you wait for it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=au&cat=wh

Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for getting back to me ozils (as a fellow Gunner I appreciate it)

I saw that the previous "pool" to get selected was deemed "very low" in terms of opportunities - how long does it take on average to get selected?

Also, in the application process, do I have to apply through the ETA? There seems to be a few options going about in terms of applying for a visa...

Sorry for the hassle!

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
australian_andy said:
Thanks for getting back to me ozils (as a fellow Gunner I appreciate it)

I saw that the previous "pool" to get selected was deemed "very low" in terms of opportunities - how long does it take on average to get selected?

Also, in the application process, do I have to apply through the ETA? There seems to be a few options going about in terms of applying for a visa...

Sorry for the hassle!
It varies, on average under a month to be pulled from the pool.

You will get an ETA with your permit, no need to apply specifically for it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The OP will need 24 months travel insurance for the IEC program to show to CBSA when landing in Canada and given has existing medical condition should of course mention that to the insurance company otherwise any claim could be invalid. Do not think existing medical conditions have any bearing on getting an IEC permit approved given unlike applying for PR as a temporary worker/visitor not a burden on healthcare with the travel insurance in place to cover emergencies.

Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for the information guys! I'm all ready for my application!

Just one more quick question, if I apply for the visa, during the waiting period, can I come to Canada as tourist for a holiday? I have leave that I will like to use before I go!

Thanks again!

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
australian_andy said:
Thanks for the information guys! I'm all ready for my application!

Just one more quick question, if I apply for the visa, during the waiting period, can I come to Canada as tourist for a holiday? I have leave that I will like to use before I go!

Thanks again!
Yep, you can. You would need to leave and re-enter to activate your permit, many people do a trip to Vegas for the weekend if there are cheap flights. Otherwise you can literally cross the nearest border and come straight back.