+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian to visit canada - wants to stay 12 months to visit family

tashacyan

May 19, 2009
Hi There,

I'm a Canadian citizen residing in Australia for the past 9 years.
My husband (Australian Citizen) are planning an extended holiday to Canada to live and visit with my family for 12 months before our two children start school back in Australia.

My husband and our two children will be travelling on Australian passports, which makes them visa exempt.
We are assuming they will be granted 6 months stay at the port of entry.

The Canadian consulate office in Sydney Australia is being very vague about our options - I am not sure whether it will be wiser to advise the port of entry officer that we would like to stay for 12 months and take a chance they might grant this extended period then, or apply for a visa extension later (prior to the initial six month expiry period).

It is so difficult for me to fathom that a 12 month stay for my family, and especially for my children to visit with their grandparents, is not possible to organise prior to travelling. The consulate office offered that entry is completely at the discretion of the interrogation officer at port of entry...interrogation after 15 hours on a flight with two young children?! Not my idea of fun.

Can anyone reccomend a course of action? I'm assuming that proof of sufficient funds to support ourselves, a letter of invitation from my family, and proof of ties in Australia will all help our cause - but when should I present these? My Canadian family will be devastated if we have to shorten our trip due to visa restrictions.

Kindest regards,
Natasha

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tashacyan said:
Hi There,

I'm a Canadian citizen residing in Australia for the past 9 years.
My husband (Australian Citizen) are planning an extended holiday to Canada to live and visit with my family for 12 months before our two children start school back in Australia.

My husband and our two children will be travelling on Australian passports, which makes them visa exempt.
We are assuming they will be granted 6 months stay at the port of entry.

The Canadian consulate office in Sydney Australia is being very vague about our options - I am not sure whether it will be wiser to advise the port of entry officer that we would like to stay for 12 months and take a chance they might grant this extended period then, or apply for a visa extension later (prior to the initial six month expiry period).

It is so difficult for me to fathom that a 12 month stay for my family, and especially for my children to visit with their grandparents, is not possible to organise prior to travelling. The consulate office offered that entry is completely at the discretion of the interrogation officer at port of entry...interrogation after 15 hours on a flight with two young children?! Not my idea of fun.

Can anyone reccomend a course of action? I'm assuming that proof of sufficient funds to support ourselves, a letter of invitation from my family, and proof of ties in Australia will all help our cause - but when should I present these? My Canadian family will be devastated if we have to shorten our trip due to visa restrictions.

Kindest regards,
Natasha
1. If you were a Canadian citizen at the time of the children's birth, then they are Canadians as well you know? You might want to consider get a proof of citizenship for the children at some time in the future.
2. You can ask initially for a year at the Port of Entry, or you could get the 6 months and then apply for an extension in Canada for your spouse and children. It is probably easier to get the 6 months and then apply 5 months later for an extension.
3. If you are interested or they eligible for proof of citizenship, here is the link. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

PMM

tashacyan

May 19, 2009
Hello PMM,

thanks so much for your reply.

I enquired about certificates of citizenship for my children, but unfortunately the wait is current 12 - 18 months for these to come through in Australia. We want to travel in the next 6 months. I wonder if the application process for these citizenship certificates would be different once in Canada.

I think we will take your advice and apply for extensions after 5 months or so. Does anyone know the current success rate of these being granted?

Thanks,
Natasha

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tashacyan said:
Hello PMM,

thanks so much for your reply.

I enquired about certificates of citizenship for my children, but unfortunately the wait is current 12 - 18 months for these to come through in Australia. We want to travel in the next 6 months. I wonder if the application process for these citizenship certificates would be different once in Canada.

I think we will take your advice and apply for extensions after 5 months or so. Does anyone know the current success rate of these being granted?

Thanks,
Natasha
About 10 months in Canada, I would still apply and eventually they will have them, will make things much easier in the future.

PMM