+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian or NZ applicants - share timeline here !!

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Mel Grover said:
Hey,

I was wondering, generally how long does it take to get an AOR and UCI number from Sydney after you received sponsor approval?

The only reason I ask it because after I sent off my application I realised I sent my application off with a state police check rather than a federal one & I would like to send them my federal one so it doesnt hold up processing ect.
Hi Mel,

For me I think it took a few weeks. I got Sponsorship approval on 25 Sep, and received an AOR from Sydney office on the 15 Oct. I did ring CIC as I never offically received a sponsorship approval email, and my processing time had passed the date on the website, so they were able to tell me my UCI over the phone. I needed to resend my Additional Family Information form, so I sent my additional information form to the Sydney VO as soon as I knew that info. Having said that, when they finally got to my file, they requested the form again anyway, so not sure if the first form was lost, or what not, but it might help to wait until they request the doc specifically before resending it, if you know what I mean (just in case they misplace the original).
Hope that helps!

dawndarkharp

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-12
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Canstralian/Oznadian said:
Hey Dawndarkharp, we applied 3 months before you, and just went "in process" as of Jan 15. I think they are finally starting to dig some files out of the black hole. I understand your worry, seeing everyone else getting their COPR's, but I think they just get to it when they get to it. I sent them a case specific change of address email that they never responded to. About a month later I sent them another one asking for a response. A month later they responded that the change was done....unfortunately, they screwed up the change and I've had to send another email with yet again,...no response. Hang in there.
That is really comforting to know that there are others like me who have that worry. And congratulations on your "in process" change! Very exciting news :) I hope it comes quickly for you! Such a shame that they are giving you the runaround on your case specific inquiries! I hope they can update your information quickly. I had to call CIC to change our address, it took them 3-4 weeks to update it on our ecas. I bet you are correct that they are starting to get to cases that are behind schedule. I hope ours will be one soon :)
I haven't sent my second case specific email, I think I will later this week. Still sort of holding out hope it will come on it's own, but I suppose I should give it another 'push' if I can. Thanks for the comforting words :)

mickeybee

Jan 1, 2013
Hi Everyone,

You all seem so nice, so I'm hoping you'll give me your thoughts on my timeline? I'm cutting it fine! :eek:

I am a; Australian (with a British Passport), 28 yo, Male, Applying for a Two year working IEC visa.

1st Dec - First step application online completed
28th Dec- Sent AFP Police check & Vic roads licence check applications
4th Jan - Recieved AFP police check
7th Jan - Recieved Vic Roads licence check
7th Jan - Sent finalised 11 page application via Aus Post to Sydney
15th Jan - International Experience Canada Application Received (conformation email)
8th Feb - Nothing else so far.. :(

27th Feb - Flight to Vancouver!!!!!!!

I'm very nervous that it won't come in time. Has anyone got a guide as for what to expect?

I have a contingency plan - to use my UK passport on a three month tourist visa and not work over there (I have an internet business I can work on though Aus). Then if/when it does come though, I can go to Seattle and come back and validate my Aus Visa? I hope that makes sense..

Any suggestions would really really really be appreciated. - really. ;)

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
mickeybee said:
Hi Everyone,

You all seem so nice, so I'm hoping you'll give me your thoughts on my timeline? I'm cutting it fine! :eek:

I am a; Australian (with a British Passport), 28 yo, Male, Applying for a Two year working IEC visa.

15th Jan - International Experience Canada Application Received (conformation email)

I'm very nervous that it won't come in time. Has anyone got a guide as for what to expect?

I have a contingency plan - to use my UK passport on a three month tourist visa and not work over there (I have an internet business I can work on though Aus). Then if/when it does come though, I can go to Seattle and come back and validate my Aus Visa? I hope that makes sense..

I applied for one of them before my Spousal Sponsorship, in the event we needed to move over sooner and so I could work.
I can't remember what the timeline was for receiving my "Welcome Letter" but I think it was about two months. I think you are cutting it a bit fine, but I am probably not the best person to give advice - there might be others that can be more helpful!

Good luck!

crassy

Sep 15, 2011
Niagara Falls
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2012
AOR Received.
6-11-2012
File Transfer...
6-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2013
LANDED..........
26-07-2013
mickeybee said:
Hi Everyone,

You may want to ask in one of the other topic areas as this is for spousal applications. I would, however, advise against trying to enter Canada on a separate passport than what you used to apply for your visa. It looks really suspicious and the CBSA, through all of its faults, are not *that* dumb. It also may cause you issues later on. Does the website give you a timeline for your visa? If not, send them an email. They usually respond within 24 hours. Unfortunately, not being Canadian, you don't have a right to enter the country. You may be allowed to, but there is no right (not trying to be rude, just the way it is). Booking flights prior to obtaining a valid visa is never a good idea as things may go tits up at any moment. I would also suggest calling the airline to see how much it would cost you to switch flights in the event that your visa is not issued in time or at all.

rachiy

May 9, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-01-2013
LANDED..........
29-01-2013
I know of a few kiwis also on the working holiday that entered as a visitor, spent 2-3 months travelling around and then drove to a border to re-enter and start their WH. They did this to maximise their time and so that once they decided where to live and work they hadn't wasted months of "work time." I do know that they had no problems entering, however they did have their letter of intro with them already and were on the same passport.
I doubt you would have problems doing the same thing.

Mel Grover

Nov 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/11/2012
AOR Received.
02/07/2013
Med's Done....
26/09/2012
mickeybee said:
Hi Mickey,
I applied for mine IEC working holiday visa early december & due to some complications having dual intent on the PR visa, I got my eligibility approval on the 17th of december. In total, mine took just over 6 weeks to process before I got my LOl. In 2013, they have a new application system and it appears it takes longer. It seems a lot of applicatants are taking over 8 weeks. Below is a link / forum with other people applying for the IEC visa and you can see the expected current time line on processing.
http://www.canaussie.com/component/option,com_agora/Itemid,5/id,307/task,topic/?p=6
the whole www.canaussie.com website is pretty helpful for people applying for the IEC working holiday visa and thinking of comming to Canada to work. I wouldn't worry to much if you LOl doesnt come through in time. Just take the right paper work through customs to prove you have applied and you will enter canada as a visitor. Once you working visa comes through you will just need to do a border run. Hope I have helped. :)

sbea026

Feb 3, 2013
Quebec
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Hey Everyone great thread. Thought I would try get involved after finding so much useful information.
I'm a Kiwi on the IEC working holiday visa in Quebec.

App. Filed for PR - Inland Quebec: 10th Sep 2012
AOR Received: 29th Nov 2012
CSQ App Filed to MICC: 30th Jan 2013
OWP App Filed: 6th Feb 2013

My current Visa expires in March but now that I have applied for my Open Work Permit - Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada I will have Implied Status until I reach The AIP stage so will be able to continue working.

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Hi All,
Just wanted to enter into the dialogue. Its nice to have support and info from people who are going through the same process!
I'm Canadian and my partner is a Kiwi. We were living together in Canada for a year while he had a working holiday visa. Now he has returned to NZ while we wait for our spousal sponsorship app. We applied on Nov 26 and it was received on Nov 28. That's all we know right now. REALLY hoping we get lucky with the Sydney office and its processed quickly there... its been well over the average wait time now for stage 1 in Canada and they just tell us to wait.
Hard to be apart when we want to continue our life together! But we're making it work.
Good luck everyone!

starfire2003

Feb 18, 2013
Hi,
My husband of 7.5yrs, baby and I are living in Australia and we want to move to Canada this year with me sponsoring them. I am Canadian by birth. I have a few questions and would be very grateful if someone can answer them for me. :)

Can they enter Canada with me on a one way ticket before PR is granted? We really can't buy a round trip 'just in case'. If so, how long can he stay in Canada without any visa?
Is there a visa he needs to apply for to work before PR granted? He probably won't have a job yet.
Do I have to sponsor our baby separately or is she included with husband? That really didn't seem clear to me when looking at the application.

As we have been married for 7.5yrs, we don't have a lot of 'proof' (some but not as much as we had 7yrs ago) from before getting married. Is this going to be a problem?
We may not have an apt or jobs when we arrive. We will either stay with family or in a holiday apt and look for a permanent rental and jobs then. Is this going to be a problem?

Thank you so much to whoever replies!!! :)

narain

May 14, 2012
Hiii There

I applied at the Sydney Office too and the response I am getting is very upsetting. I applied in September 2011 with my Police clearance, FBI report (as i have stayed in usa too) and medicals. This is how I was asked to submit while I was in Canada with my spouse. I got legally married and are supposed to have Indian wedding once I get to Canada.

Te disappointing part is by the time I got my interview date, my medical expired. After the interview I was told to do medical furtherance. Which I did on 21st November 2012. But till today I have not received any information!!!!

We were to marry last August but couldnt due to my visa problems. Can anyone help me with this plizzzzzzzzzzzzz

Canstralian/Oznadian

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-06-2012
Med's Done....
09-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2013, arrived in Canada 13-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
starfire2003 said:
Hi,
My husband of 7.5yrs, baby and I are living in Australia and we want to move to Canada this year with me sponsoring them. I am Canadian by birth. I have a few questions and would be very grateful if someone can answer them for me. :)

Can they enter Canada with me on a one way ticket before PR is granted? We really can't buy a round trip 'just in case'. If so, how long can he stay in Canada without any visa?
Is there a visa he needs to apply for to work before PR granted? He probably won't have a job yet.
Do I have to sponsor our baby separately or is she included with husband? That really didn't seem clear to me when looking at the application.

As we have been married for 7.5yrs, we don't have a lot of 'proof' (some but not as much as we had 7yrs ago) from before getting married. Is this going to be a problem?
We may not have an apt or jobs when we arrive. We will either stay with family or in a holiday apt and look for a permanent rental and jobs then. Is this going to be a problem?

Thank you so much to whoever replies!!! :)
Hi starfire. I will do my best to answer what I can.

I think this is going to take some more planning on your part. I assume you are going to apply outland via the Sydney visa office. The entire application (sponsorship and PR) are first sent to Mississauga for sponsorship approval. In sponsoring your family, you are agreeing to be responsible for them for 3 years, meaning they won't go on any public assistance. In order to be approved as a sponsor, you have to prove that you can support them financially, ie provide them with financial statements, tax returns and proof of employment. Basically unless you are super wealthy, you are going to need a job before you apply.

If your husband is under 30, I believe he can apply for a work visa under the international experience class. Otherwise, he can enter Canada as a visitor for 6 months. As a visitor he cannot work. If he enters as a visitor, Canada immigration won't be happy to see a one way ticket. If you have to have an interview (which I doubt you would after 7.5 years of marriage), the interview would be held in Sydney, another reason to have a return ticket. Your husband's visitor's record can be extended at the end of 6 months.

I believe your baby (if born after April 2009) may be eligible for Canadian citizenship by virtue of you being a Canadian citizen.

I think you should wait to apply until you are back in Canada with a job and a residence, it will be so much easier.

vik403

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Halifax, NS, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
File Transfer...
26-03-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-10-2013
I am a canadian permanent resident living in Nova Acotia and is in the process of bringing my spouse from New Zealand to Canada. We got the medicals done and I sent the completed application form few days ago. The wait times shown on the cic website are so retarted. 27 days for the sponsor evaluation and then another 9 MONTHS!!! It sucks that I have to wait for that long before we can actualy start living together. Anyone going through the spousal immigration process from New Zealand?

medicals done: november 2012
application recieved by cic : 27 Feb 2013

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
vik403 said:
I am a canadian permanent resident living in Nova Acotia and is in the process of bringing my spouse from New Zealand to Canada. We got the medicals done and I sent the completed application form few days ago. The wait times shown on the cic website are so retarted. 27 days for the sponsor evaluation and then another 9 MONTHS!!! It sucks that I have to wait for that long before we can actualy start living together. Anyone going through the spousal immigration process from New Zealand?

medicals done: november 2012
application recieved by cic : 27 Feb 2013
Hey There,
I'm doing the same thing. Unfortunately my spousal approval took a really long time. Hopefully you won't have that experience. It does look like things are moving better now in Mississauga. on the Aus spreadsheet people appear to be getting the whole process done in 6-7 months. We're hopeful that will still happen for us! My brother is getting married in August... so would be great if my partner could stay after that trip!
It is so difficult to be apart when all you want is to have your life together! Especially from such a distance.
Good luck!

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Any tips or advice or things to double check before I send my application??

Has anyone been caught out on any questions that are a bit ambiguous?

Or any signatures on certain pages forgotten?

I'm scared to send my application off in fear I've missed something! I keep re reading it over and over!

(My Canadian partner is sponsoring me, outland application. We have been in Canada since July 2012)