+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian on Open Work Visa - extension

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Nope..they've changed it. Back in 2011 when I applied, after the Sydney office approves I got my Letter of Introduction. Simple!

Now, you have to apply through CIC after that! However, I phoned CIC and talked to about 4 representatives and they told me that they dont deal with working holiday visas whatsoever!! Now I'm thinking why would the Sydney office redirect us to CIC if they dont deal with it??

CIC deals with visas for candidates who have a Letter of Employment, meaning that you must be sponsored by a company. This means that it would involve a LMO. What's an LMO? LMO is when the sponsoring company proves to the Government that they have advertised the position for 5-6 weeks and had no luck with Canadian citizens, hence found you. They are usually for highly specialized jobs. Very hard to get an LMO. Forget about it. Even if you could get an LMO, that's not the definition of a Working Holiday visa (OPEN WORK PERMIT). In conclusion, I"m thinking the Sydney office screwed up directing us to CIC. It's a procedure they implement just this month, mistakenly I believe

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
Bloody hell. So basically even though they are offering an open work permit, it no longer exists.

Sorry to take up so much of your time but I got a few questions

1) What is the point of the letter of induction then, if it doesn't actually do anything? As in, what's stopping you from rocking up to customs with that letter of induction and saying "here is my paperwork saying I can work, let me in."

2) In the email that contained the PDF with all of the information you entered on their website what were the list of documents they told you to include? I only had; the PDF, passport copy, 2 passport pics and of course the money. Did you just supply the police check because you did so first time applying for it back in 2011 or did you email and ask them??

3) When does your visa expire and what are you gong to do?

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
No, I'm quite sure a WHV still exists, I just think they screwed up when implementing stage 2.

1. You do not receive your LOI from the Sydney office like when we applied the first time. Instead of an LOI, they grant you a 'Conditional Acceptance Letter' which you can then proceed to stage 2. After completion of stage 2, CIC is the organization that grants the LOI....supposedly. With the LOI, you cross the closest border to get out of Canada and then re-enter 5 minutes later to give your LOI to the POE officer. However, like I said, CIC don't deal with working holiday visas. They even told me themselves they dont give LOI, they just give you the work permit straight out. I have no idea about the instructions IEC Australia is giving us....

2. You must submit a police check. I asked them. I wouldn't want to waste $50 for nothing

3. My visa expires a few weeks before yours. Since the Sydney office seem to be ignoring my emails now, I just sent them a fax regarding this stage 2 problem. Fingers crossed.

A question for you. Which city are you in at the moment?

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
Ok thanks for all that. I thought, stuff it, and just submitted exactly what they asked for in the email and then they can contact me and tell me to add the police report later. I applied for the police report today so I figure by the time the consulate tells me I need the report I'll actually have it and send it over.

I'm in Ottawa right now. I'd really love it if I could just go down to the consulate here and apply for it all. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see for now....

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
They wouldnt call you and ask for you to submit additional documents. On the websit it says that they'll send the whole application back to you which causes a massive delay.

Sending your application to the Ottawa office? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you can only send it to the Sydney office in Australia..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
simonvee said:
They wouldnt call you and ask for you to submit additional documents. On the websit it says that they'll send the whole application back to you which causes a massive delay.
Unfortunately I agree. If the application is incomplete you're going to get it back unprocessed.

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
Well I'll just have to see how I go I guess. Nowhere does it say that I need a police check. But who know, from what simone is saying, it doesn't even look like an open visa is possible anymore.

Simone I won't be posting for a while but towards April ill send you a message just to ask how you got on if that's ok??

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
That is true. I shouldn't say impossible. Well goodluck and I'll tell you how I go and I'll check back in a fair few weeks and see how you went