+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian on Open Work Visa - extension

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
I am an Australian on a 2 year Open Work Visa which expires on the 5th of May. I am wondering if it is possible to extend the visa at all?

And if I am unable to extend the visa, am I able to stay in the country and not be employed and just holiday?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

laudern said:
I am an Australian on a 2 year Open Work Visa which expires on the 5th of May. I am wondering if it is possible to extend the visa at all?

And if I am unable to extend the visa, am I able to stay in the country and not be employed and just holiday?

Thanks
1. It can't be extended.
2. But if you are still under 30 you can apply for another one you know?
3. If over 30 , then you apply for an extension as a visitor.

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
Ok sweet. So I am 29 which is good. I'll be calling them on Monday just to get the full story. But do you know if I need to do all of the criminal history check and all that again? Im just worried that it might be a bit hard since I am over in canada right now.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

laudern said:
Ok sweet. So I am 29 which is good. I'll be calling them on Monday just to get the full story. But do you know if I need to do all of the criminal history check and all that again? Im just worried that it might be a bit hard since I am over in canada right now.
1. You will need a new Criminal Records Check.
2. All the information is here (since they don't respond to phone calls) https://www.whpcanada.org.au/

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
thanks for that. lol yeah they have the worst phone support for Australia. Unless it has changed they use to be open once a week and only for 4 hrs or so...

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
I was sure when I applied the first time I had to supply a crimson history check. I can't see where you have to do that anymore.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

laudern said:
I was sure when I applied the first time I had to supply a crimson history check. I can't see where you have to do that anymore.
Yes, you have to supply a criminal records check.

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
That's what I thought. I've started the application and received the email telling me what I need to include which is.

Please arrange your application together in this order and staple them together:
1) Fee
2) International Experience Canada form page 1
3) International Experience Canada form page 2 & 3, signed and dated, with 2 passport photos stapled on the appropriate boxes
4) Photocopy of passport photo page
5) Any other documentation requested

The online application asked me if I have committed any crimes and if so what are they. So maybe that's the new process.

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
Also it does not say anywhere that the documents need to be signed as authentic. Is this the case or do I need to do that?

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Mine got approved last week

The photocopy of your passport does not have to be witnessed
You have to go to the Australian Federal Police site to get the police check. You send them a few forms of ID (no need to be witnessed) and they send it to you via mail (2 weeks).
No need for any traffic history

The Australian office doesnt answer anymore questions over the phone, only via email which they do once a week. Good luck with that!

Stage 2 (newly implemented procedure) is the drama stage!!!! Stage 1 is very straightforward

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
ok. so even though they have not told me I need to include a police check, I should just include one anyway? Thats f**king stupid.

What is stage 2 like??

I cant respond to your PM as I havent made 10 posts yet to allow me to do so :(

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
also how long did you process take??? Im worried that I'll run out of time. My visa runs out on the 5th of may and I'm currently in Canada...

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
If you send by express mail the package arrives in australia in 2 days approx
If you send by normal mail the package arrives anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks. Mine arrived in 1 or 2 weeks
Once your mail arrives it takes 1 to 8 weeks for the office to process. Mine took 1 or 2 weeks.

Stage two apparently takes 10 weeks to process by CIC. If not, then I think the new procedure is flawed

laudern

Feb 1, 2013
what does stage 2 involve you doing? Dont you get the letter of approval at the end of stage one or something? Is that all you need to get in on the visa?