+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian Marrying a Canadian - what do we do?

karen808

Sep 9, 2008
Hi there

Hoping someone can help me out. I am an Australian resident and will be going to Canada in November on regular holiday visa. My boyfriend, who is Canadian, and I are hoping to finally get married then. I was just wondering pretty much what we have to do in order to make sure it is legal, and that I can live and work there. I have read that to wait for the PR visa it takes quite a while, and I ideally I would want to work there until that is approved.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Karen

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you are married, you need to send in your application for him to sponsor you for PR. You need to send proof of your relationship, photos, phonebills, emails, chat logs etc. If you lived together for some time anywhere, a joint bank account, lease, joint utilities etc.

You have two options of application, outland or inland. If you file outland, you are filing with you still officially living in Australia. You would still be able to visit him as long as your tourist visa is good for but if you are called in for an interview, it would happen in Australia. The average processing time through Sydney is 5 months, 30% finish in 3 months, 80% by 7 months. Add to that 42 days to approve him as a sponsor right at the start. Then you get your PR. If you file inland you get to stay in Canada. Apply for work permit at the same time and you will get it when you have your first stage approval. Spouse first stage approval right now takes 6 months, add to that the 42 days to approve sponsor too. Getting the PR takes longer with inland, I have heard 1-2 years. Also if you are for whatever reason refused with inland, you can't appeal. Also if you were to leave Canada while you are doing inland and for some reason be refused to return, you would forfeit your application.