+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian in need of help

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
Hi there, I have got 458 CRS score after maxing out on IELTS. Would anyone know if I (as an Australian citizen) need LMIA to get an employment offer? or is the below scenario playsible:

1. I apply for IEC (open work permit as part of Working Holiday visa as I’m < 35) - 100% possible once the next pool opens
  2. Approach Employers on LinkedIn to get a job offer as LMIA is exempt for open work permit under IEC - 100% possible if I compromise on salary
  3. Update EE profile with job offer and claim 50 points under NOC A (this I’m not sure???)
  4. My score goes to 508 (best case scenario)
Could someone please suggest if point 3 is workable. Thanks in Advance :)

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, I have got 458 CRS score after maxing out on IELTS. Would anyone know if I (as an Australian citizen) need LMIA to get an employment offer? or is the below scenario playsible:

1. I apply for IEC (open work permit as part of Working Holiday visa as I’m < 35) - 100% possible once the next pool opens
  2. Approach Employers on LinkedIn to get a job offer as LMIA is exempt for open work permit under IEC - 100% possible if I compromise on salary
  3. Update EE profile with job offer and claim 50 points under NOC A (this I’m not sure???)
  4. My score goes to 508 (best case scenario)
Could someone please suggest if point 3 is workable. Thanks in Advance :)

Cheers
You can only claim the 50 job offer points without an LMIA if you are on a closed work permit with a specific employer named and have also worked for that employer in Canada for at least one full year.

This means that a Working Holiday Visa won't get you there.

You would need to come here on a Young Professional visa. This does not require an LMIA however it does require you to have a job offer before you can apply for the visa since the visa is a closed work permit tied to a specific employer. And as said above, you won't be able to claim the points immediately. You'll need to work in Canada for a year first.

If you come here on a Working Holiday Visa (i.e. open work permit), you'll only be able to claim the 50 points if your employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA. So unfortunately what you've mapped out isn't workable since what you have will not be classified as a job offer under EE and won't qualify for the 50 points.

• Sad
Reactions: apollobay

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
You have it wrong.

1. IEC is an open work permit. You come to Canada, get skilled employment for one year & apply for PR.
2. You don’t get 50 points from IEC as it is not LMIA exempt. For those points, you need a positive LMIA.
3. Positive LMIA & can claim points.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=29.2
Thanks for that explanation Naturgrl - it’s kind of depressing to know this, but glad to face the facts nonetheless :D Am I correct to assume that Employers don’t need an LMIA to offer me a job once I have the open work permit through IEC/WHV? or do you reckon they still need a positive LMIA to offer me a contract/permanent job? Much appreciated your response :)

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
Thanks much for your time scylla...

You can only claim the 50 job offer points without an LMIA if you are on a closed work permit with a specific employer named and have also worked for that employer in Canada for at least one full year.

This means that a Working Holiday Visa won't get you there.

You would need to come here on a Young Professional visa. This does not require an LMIA however it does require you to have a job offer before you can apply for the visa since the visa is a closed work permit tied to a specific employer. And as said above, you won't be able to claim the points immediately. You'll need to work in Canada for a year first.

If you come here on a Working Holiday Visa (i.e. open work permit), you'll only be able to claim the 50 points if your employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA. So unfortunately what you've mapped out isn't workable since what you have will not be classified as a job offer under EE and won't qualify for the 50 points.
I reckon it makes sense after reading for four times now :). So, my options (really) are:

1. Apply for WHV (without any job offer), come & work for one year (with any employer) to claim Canada experience after 12 months. Not sure if I can get extra 50 points in case the Employer chooses to offer me a job under LMIA exempt category since I’ll be with the firm for 1 year???
  2. Apply for jobs from Oz and get into Young Professionals pool, come & work for 1 year - claim points for both Canadian experience & LMIA (exempt) job offer. Not sure why would an employer offer a professional job not knowing when the random pool selects me? (except that it doesn’t require LMIA in first place). Maybe some consulting firms who build a bench force or expecting projects throught the year?
Either way, I would have to wait for a year to get past 460 mark !! Please suggest if I understood it correctly :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I reckon it makes sense after reading for four times now :). So, my options (really) are:

1. Apply for WHV (without any job offer), come & work for one year (with any employer) to claim Canada experience after 12 months. Not sure if I can get extra 50 points in case the Employer chooses to offer me a job under LMIA exempt category since I’ll be with the firm for 1 year???
  2. Apply for jobs from Oz and get into Young Professionals pool, come & work for 1 year - claim points for both Canadian experience & LMIA (exempt) job offer. Not sure why would an employer offer a professional job not knowing when the random pool selects me? (except that it doesn’t require LMIA in first place). Maybe some consulting firms who build a bench force or expecting projects throught the year?
Either way, I would have to wait for a year to get past 460 mark !! Please suggest if I understood it correctly :)
Option 1 is the easiest. However IEC is on hold and it is unknown when it will reopen. Also processing times are estimated at about a year. The key is you need one year skilled work experience. Many people on IECs come in work in retail, restaurants, ski resorts etc because an IEC is a temporary work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

1. Employer still needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to claim the 50 points even after 1 year for having a job offer. Again, the only way you can bypass the LMIA requirement is if you are on a closed work permit and have worked for your employer in Canada for 1 full year. WHV is an open work permit. So employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. To claim points for work experience in Canada, you will need to have 1 year of full time work in a NOC A, B or 0 role. Only skilled occupations qualify.
2. Yes, this would work and you'd be able to claim the points after working in Canada one year. Again, this is because the YP is a closed work permit.

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
Option 1 is the easiest. However IEC is on hold and it is unknown when it will reopen. Also processing times are estimated at about a year. The key is you need one year skilled work experience. Many people on IECs come in work in retail, restaurants, ski resorts etc because an IEC is a temporary work permit.
Wow, haven’t thought it would take 1 year for processing IEC/WHV :rolleyes: I would lose points for age as the years pass by and the wait is always nail biting; couldn’t hold my breath for 3 days to get 9988 in IELTS :eek: 1 year seems like a lot of time; could you please point me to the source of this info (around processing times).

Also, would you recommend any other pathway? Just don’t want to quit a well paying Data Analytics role in Australia and come down to work at servos at the age of 32 :-/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow, haven’t thought it would take 1 year for processing IEC/WHV :rolleyes: I would lose points for age as the years pass by and the wait is always nail biting; couldn’t hold my breath for 3 days to get 9988 in IELTS :eek: 1 year seems like a lot of time; could you please point me to the source of this info (around processing times).

Also, would you recommend any other pathway? Just don’t want to quit a well paying Data Analytics role in Australia and come down to work at servos at the age of 32 :-/
You haven't mentioned your level of education or any other details so difficult to comment. Your on the wrong side of things as age goes so that is unfortunately going to continue to work against you.

Another option could be to take advanced education in Canada if you can afford the international student fees. Given your age, you would need this to be a Master's or PhD in your field. You would get additional points for your education and then qualify for an open work permit once you complete your studies. Note that your studies must be full time.

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
1. Employer still needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to claim the 50 points even after 1 year for having a job offer. Again, the only way you can bypass the LMIA requirement is if you are on a closed work permit and have worked for your employer in Canada for 1 full year. WHV is an open work permit. So employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. To claim points for work experience in Canada, you will need to have 1 year of full time work in a NOC A, B or 0 role. Only skilled occupations qualify.
2. Yes, this would work and you'd be able to claim the points after working in Canada one year. Again, this is because the YP is a closed work permit.
Looks like a typical catch 22 problem here. Need a job offer for YP, and a positive LMIA for EE via WHV - do you know which one is more feasible given the realities of cross border job search hiccups. I am not sure if it’s easy to get a job offer offshore (YP) or onshore (WHV) - could please advise based on your knowledge/experience _/\_ I’m currently working as a Mid-Level Cloud, Data & Analytics Professional in Financial Services Domain if that helps put things in context.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Looks like a typical catch 22 problem here. Need a job offer for YP, and a positive LMIA for EE via WHV - do you know which one is more feasible given the realities of cross border job search hiccups. I am not sure if it’s easy to get a job offer offshore (YP) or onshore (WHV) - could please advise based on your knowledge/experience _/\_ I’m currently working as a Mid-Level Cloud, Data & Analytics Professional in Financial Services Domain if that helps put things in context.
I personally wouldn't make the move unless you are doing it through YP and have a job offer in Canada in your field. You should assume it will be very difficult to secure a job offer right now due to hiring restrictions, etc. related to COVID-19. For example, Canada's big five banks all have hiring restrictions in place right now and that's going to continue into next year. It's not a normal employment environment right now.

apollobay

Dec 23, 2020
You haven't mentioned your level of education or any other details so difficult to comment. Your on the wrong side of things as age goes so that is unfortunately going to continue to work against you.

Another option could be to take advanced education in Canada if you can afford the international student fees. Given your age, you would need this to be a Master's or PhD in your field. You would get additional points for your education and then qualify for an open work permit once you complete your studies. Note that your studies must be full time.
Unfortunately, studying full time at a uni is not an option worth considering since I’m on $180K AUD atm - happy to lose some fat and settle down for $150K ish for a year or two to keep going. But, going back to uni full time and leaving a job worth $180K may not be a good idea at the age of 33 :(.

Here’s my bio if it helps to provide other pathways:

1. Age 32 now (but 33 in 7 months, so worth case 33)
  2. Bachelors + Grad Diploma
  3. 9988 IELTS
  4. 10 years Foreign Work Exp
  5. Unmarried (most likely for next 6 months)
  6. Australian National (hence WHV, YP, etc.)
  7. Can spend upto ~ 3 months in CAN remote working for Oz employer (convincible) - if it helps do something in 3 months in CAN (job hunt, etc.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately, studying full time at a uni is not an option worth considering since I’m on $180K AUD atm - happy to lose some fat and settle down for $150K ish for a year or two to keep going. But, going back to uni full time and leaving a job worth $180K may not be a good idea at the age of 33 :(.

Here’s my bio if it helps to provide other pathways:

1. Age 32 now (but 33 in 7 months, so worth case 33)
  2. Bachelors + Grad Diploma
  3. 9988 IELTS
  4. 10 years Foreign Work Exp
  5. Unmarried (most likely for next 6 months)
  6. Australian National (hence WHV, YP, etc.)
  7. Can spend upto ~ 3 months in CAN remote working for Oz employer (convincible) - if it helps do something in 3 months in CAN (job hunt, etc.)
You honestly might be best off remaining in Australia. Is something driving the need to move to Canada?

If you're aiming for the data analytics space, the bar has really been raised in Canada on securing the top jobs and employers are generally looking for Master's or PhD's.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Actually processing for IEC is now 79 weeks! And it isn't even open and the backlog needs to be processed.

Check processing times - Canada.ca

Are you getting married in the next year? If so, you both have to apply for an IEC. It isn't submitted as a couple. One of you may be accepted and the other rejected.