+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australia/NZ Driver license exchange with Ontario DL

harryrei

Apr 2, 2018
Hi guys,

I understand there is exchange agreement between those two countries with Ontario. My question is will the years of driving records/experience also be transferred to the Ontario DL?

I'm asking because of car insurance is expensive here, more driving experience means a lot.

Cheers

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi guys,

I understand there is exchange agreement between those two countries with Ontario. My question is will the years of driving records/experience also be transferred to the Ontario DL?

I'm asking because of car insurance is expensive here, more driving experience means a lot.

Cheers
what license do you hold? also full license or restricted/p plate?

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
NZ Full licence over 5 years
Driving records and demerits points/tickets won't be transferred to your ontario license.

You will need to contact NZ transport agency and ask for a certificate of particulars. This costs about $12 and can be emailed to you.

This is a requirement to obtain a ontario license. it shows.how long you've had a license for and when it was issued to you as a full license.

while talking to NZTA ask for a copy of your driving record. This displays speeding fines, demerit points and other tickets issued by police. only ask for this if you've had a somewhat clean record for the last five or so years. This will prove to your insurance company if you are a good driver. if you've been disqualified from driving or any dui charges in the last five years don't bother getting it. it will not help with your insurance discount here.

Next call your NZ vehicle insurance company and ask for a letter from them outlining claims history and policy history. my insurance company did this at no cost and apart.from one at fault backing into the garage door claim it 2as very helpful at getting a discount. ask them for it to reflect all vehicle policies if you've had more than one vehicle policy.

These last two aren't required to get a ontario license they help however in getting a discount on insurance. my nz record had two speeding tickets and one at fault claim in the last 5 year's

your full nz license won't require you to go for a driving test. just an eye sight test. have family or friend from Canada help you adapt to driving on the right side of the road Canadians are lovely people just really aggressive if you slow them down or cut them off haha

harryrei

Apr 2, 2018
Driving records and demerits points/tickets won't be transferred to your ontario license.

You will need to contact NZ transport agency and ask for a certificate of particulars. This costs about $12 and can be emailed to you.

This is a requirement to obtain a ontario license. it shows.how long you've had a license for and when it was issued to you as a full license.

while talking to NZTA ask for a copy of your driving record. This displays speeding fines, demerit points and other tickets issued by police. only ask for this if you've had a somewhat clean record for the last five or so years. This will prove to your insurance company if you are a good driver. if you've been disqualified from driving or any dui charges in the last five years don't bother getting it. it will not help with your insurance discount here.

Next call your NZ vehicle insurance company and ask for a letter from them outlining claims history and policy history. my insurance company did this at no cost and apart.from one at fault backing into the garage door claim it 2as very helpful at getting a discount. ask them for it to reflect all vehicle policies if you've had more than one vehicle policy.

These last two aren't required to get a ontario license they help however in getting a discount on insurance. my nz record had two speeding tickets and one at fault claim in the last 5 year's

your full nz license won't require you to go for a driving test. just an eye sight test. have family or friend from Canada help you adapt to driving on the right side of the road Canadians are lovely people just really aggressive if you slow them down or cut them off haha
Thanks so much for the detail explanation.

I have already ordered certificate of particulars. However on driveTest website it asks for original copy.
I think I will just try print it out and bring it to them see how it goes.

Again thanks for the help!

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018

I have already ordered certificate of particulars. However on driveTest website it asks for original copy.

yeah I just printed it off.

andrewdejong

Mar 9, 2019
Hey all,

Does anyone know what actually happens to the foreign license? Eg if I was to exchange my Australian DL for an Ontario one, I know I have to physically surrender the card itself but does my Australian license get cancelled?

Looking everywhere online and there are references to the Australian and Ontario exchange agreement but I cant actually find the legal particulars of the agreement. Any ideas?

Cheers!
Andrew

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey all,

Does anyone know what actually happens to the foreign license? Eg if I was to exchange my Australian DL for an Ontario one, I know I have to physically surrender the card itself but does my Australian license get cancelled?

Looking everywhere online and there are references to the Australian and Ontario exchange agreement but I cant actually find the legal particulars of the agreement. Any ideas?

Cheers!
Andrew
1. Yes, it is probably cancelled and returned to the issuing authority.

Ms8981

Apr 23, 2020
Hi everyone
Please help me on one issue which i am facing I am in Canada and have NZ full licence but didn’t know about the agreement between NZ and Canada i added India licence and its abstract and gave theory exam and got G1 and the I booked for G but failed now I want to know can i exchange my my NZ full license after having G1
Please help me with this!!

Nad82

Sep 17, 2020

Hi,
How did it go with you. Did they ask for the original or printed copy was fine?

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
Does anyone know what needs to be done to exchange Australian DL for Ontario License? I am still in Aus so wanted to get all my paperwork from Australia before I left.
TIA

nvgajera37@gmail.com

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Hello there,

Please can anyone give suggestions on my question is that I have an Australian learning license for more than 1 year of the issued date. However, I have a demerit point in the Australian learning license, Can I still convert my Australian learning license experience into Ontario G1 Experience ad I do not want to wait for a G2 road test.

Thanks

Anildhage

Star Member
Jul 7, 2020
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
30-06-2020

how you doing bro? I’ve got a question about my Australian Victorian full License.
I’ve read that it’s easy to convert my license to Ontario, although I want to keep the Australian license with me. I don’t want it to be cancelled when I submit it to the Ontario licensing department. Do you know about what happens to my Australian license when I convert to Ontario? I mean would they contact the Australian department and cancel it? I’ve also heard they are going to take my Australian license. Do you have any information about it mate?