+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2022 Spousal Sponsorship (Inland/Outland/Paper/Online)

EloiseMann

Star Member
Aug 2, 2022
Category........
FAM
I don't think you have to maintain the status if you have already submitted the application via inland sponsorship, however, according to CIC website, you do have to write an explanation letter on why you fail to extend the visa before it expires.
Submitting the sponsorship doesn't give you any status. If you'd submitted an OWP, then you have maintained status, otherwise you do need to maintain your status in Canada as the sponsorship alone doesn't do anything.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think you have to maintain the status if you have already submitted the application via inland sponsorship, however, according to CIC website, you do have to write an explanation letter on why you fail to extend the visa before it expires.
Applying under inland spousal sponsorship does not help to maintain any legal status. If an OWP application has been filed, the OWP application is what is providing the maintance or imply status. Not the spousal sponsorship application.

Reactions: EloiseMann

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I assume you did inland application? If yes, your wife needs to maintain status. You can do this by filing a visitor extension. This must be done 30 days BEFORE expiry date of TRV.
If you applied for OWP at the same time, this will also be considered maintained status if it is approved before expiry of TRV.
I would file an visitor extension application if it is not to late in your case.

If outland application, I think she has to leave, but there are probably others here that can advice you on that.

It is very important to not overstay visa!

Good luck!
For outland, the spouse can also apply to extend as visitor and remain until the visitor status extension is approved. If extension is refused, then the spouse need to leave. But not otherwise. Also extension can be done any day before the expiry of the stay (typically 6 months from entry and it's not of the expiry of the TRV). 30 days is just a suggested day to apply for extension.

Runedog

Aug 21, 2022
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga (Spousal PR), CPC Edmonton (OWP), Calgary (PR Portal process), Montreal (Virtual landing), Sydney (issue of PR-card)
App. Filed.......
08-07-2022
AOR Received.
29-07-2022
Med's Request
29-07-2022
Med's Done....
08-08-2022
LANDED..........
01-02-2023
For outland, the spouse can also apply to extend as visitor and remain until the visitor status extension is approved. If extension is refused, then the spouse need to leave. But not otherwise. Also extension can be done any day before the expiry of the stay (typically 6 months from entry and it's not of the expiry of the TRV). 30 days is just a suggested day to apply for extension.
Maybe, but to advise that it is only a "suggestion" is not good advice in my opinion.
It is clearly written on the back of the visa that it should be submitted at least 30 days before the expiry date of your status. Status being when you landed or when you had your visitor record issued, etc. This is even written in all capital letters on the visa, and in bold online. When I came to Canada and got issued a trv (came with eTA) the border officer also pointed out it was imporant to do this before the 30 days of entry (stamp in passport).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Maybe, but to advise that it is only a "suggestion" is not good advice in my opinion.
It is clearly written on the back of the visa that it should be submitted at least 30 days before the expiry date of your status. Status being when you landed or when you had your visitor record issued, etc. This is even written in all capital letters on the visa, and in bold online. When I came to Canada and got issued a trv (came with eTA) the border officer also pointed out it was imporant to do this before the 30 days of entry (stamp in passport).
Just want to point it out in case someone has passed the 30 days before the expiry can still apply for extension. It's not too late.

It's recommanded to apply 30 days prior, I agree on that.

sk1622

Star Member
Jan 13, 2021
HI Experienced Members,

I have a question related to my inland application . I received an email from ircc today which states "This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on xyz date" and the email has the UCI id and Application Number starting from F.

What does this email signify, is this the AOR email or that looks different? Appreciate Your response!

potatochips

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
HI Experienced Members,

I have a question related to my inland application . I received an email from ircc today which states "This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on xyz date" and the email has the UCI id and Application Number starting from F.

What does this email signify, is this the AOR email or that looks different? Appreciate Your response!
That's the AOR email! Congrats!

Rhea Jose

Mar 15, 2020
Thank You for Your response!
So, I can go ahead and apply online for my spouse's Open Work Permit then, isn't it and attach this email as a proof in the supporting documents?
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Have you applied for the OWP for your spouse yet? If so, what document checklist are you receiving? Thank you.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi there. i have a personal question. If you are not comfortable sharing in here, would be grateful if you can pm. I see that your OWP got approved pretty quickly. Do you think that's because of your educational and work experience backgrounds? May i ask what are those?