+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AUGUST 2020 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

Is anyone in the same boat as us?

We sent a paper application from the UK for spousal sponsorship at the end of August. Absolutely nothing heard yet and we are still unable to link our paper application to our online account. Its like we have never even sent anything!

I'm assuming that they haven't started processing our application yet which is fine, its just not a great system when you cannot even get confirmation that they have recieved your application.

We are beginning to get stressed as I'm sure everyone here can relate to.
That is getting to be a longer than normal wait. Did you use a courier service when you submitted, did you get confirmation from them it was delivered? You are both in the UK?

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
I just received my passport request this morning! I'll post my timeline below, but a few things to note...

We're in USA--I'm American, and spouse is Canadian. I was never told what visa office my file went to (or if it even went to one!), but I found out on the passport request that it was New York.

I still haven't had a a line added to ECAS stating that they had begun processing my application.

I never received separate pre-arrival information. (Edit--just checked GCKEY and pre-arrival just arrived today as well)

ECAS status didn't change to "Decision Made" on the PA side until perhaps today. Still "In Process" yesterday. Only saw it at "Decision Made" after I got the passport request.

2020-08-05 - Application Received
2021-01-20 - AOR1 Received
2021-02-04 - Biometrics Request
2021-02-09 - Medical Request
2021-02-19 - SA Received
2021-02-22 - Biometrics Passed
2021-03-05 - Medical Passed
2021-05-26 - Passport Request
2021-05-26 - Pre-arrival letter
No AOR2

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Nothing official. I wasn't ever even told if my file went to a visa office. I found out it was at New York when I received my passport request. I did see the ECAS status change from In Process (before bio/medical)-->Application Received (after passed bio/medical)-->In Process, so I had been hoping that meant it was at a visa office and being worked on.

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Nothing official. I wasn't ever even told if my file went to a visa office. I found out it was at New York when I received my passport request. I did see the ECAS status change from In Process (before bio/medical)-->Application Received (after passed bio/medical)-->In Process, so I had been hoping that meant it was at a visa office and being worked on.
Yes that means N VO received your application and started working on it. But I haven't seen anything of this sort.

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Question : do common law spousal sponsorship application usually complicate/slow down final approval or completion of the process ? or is that just my perception ?

It feels like marriage is a big thing for the sponsorship to move quickly vs common law.

jckp

Mar 19, 2021
DM and PPR received today.

Does anyone know what to do if you we cannot submit to our local VO due to arriving in Canada sooner than it would take for the visa to come?
I think you should let IRCC know via Web form. I got PPR last Wednesday, but I'm currently in Canada so I sent message to Beijing vo to inform that via Webform. Then the agent directly replied to me very next day and told me what I should do next.

solman07

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
I think you should let IRCC know via Web form. I got PPR last Wednesday, but I'm currently in Canada so I sent message to Beijing vo to inform that via Webform. Then the agent directly replied to me very next day and told me what I should do next.
and what did you have to do if you dont mind me asking? Send to Ottowa? The thing is, we will be in Canada in 10 days, so can't change our address just yet.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question : do common law spousal sponsorship application usually complicate/slow down final approval or completion of the process ? or is that just my perception ?

It feels like marriage is a big thing for the sponsorship to move quickly vs common law.
It depends. A common law couple of ten years and three children with demonstrable proof living together is not a hard case.

Barely twelve months and weak evidence of cohabitation - yes, it can complicate or even result in refusal.

The concept of common law historically was (roughly) that there is little or no doubt, they are 'held out to be' married or as good as by all. Anything in between can raise questions.

Reactions: canadianexpat93

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
It depends. A common law couple of ten years and three children with demonstrable proof living together is not a hard case.

Barely twelve months and weak evidence of cohabitation - yes, it can complicate or even result in refusal.

The concept of common law historically was (roughly) that there is little or no doubt, they are 'held out to be' married or as good as by all. Anything in between can raise questions.
Thanks. I think our common law application had very little doubt with over 4 years together, nearly 4 living together (the other part was in student housing, same building), we had registration proof, lease proof, family & friend letters, photos, proof of shared expenses...

OK, seeing as other people with similar timeline are now getting answers, I think I’ll order our notes on Monday.

Thank you!

Reactions: armoured
Apr 9, 2021
That is getting to be a longer than normal wait. Did you use a courier service when you submitted, did you get confirmation from them it was delivered? You are both in the UK?
Hi there,
Yes we had confirmation of delivery and each time we try and contact immigration they tell us to just be patient but its getting a bit ridiculous now. We will try and ring them this week.