+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

david1211

Mar 24, 2020
Hi, @dpenabill. I have just got my PR approved in April this year, my passport from my home country is about to expire. I have decided not to renew my passport just due to 2 reasons:

1. I hate the government of my home country because of their dictatorship and do not want to deal with the embassy at all. I just want to avoid dealing with that ruthless government at all.

2. I have no travel plans outside Canada for the remaining time (less than 2 years) while waiting to be eligible for the Canadian citizenship application.

Will it have any impact on my citizenship in the future without a valid passport from my home country? Please note that I got my PR through Express Entry CEC, and I am not a refugee.

Please give me some advice. Thank you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, @dpenabill. I have just got my PR approved in April this year, my passport from my home country is about to expire. I have decided not to renew my passport just due to 2 reasons:

1. I hate the government of my home country because of their dictatorship and do not want to deal with the embassy at all. I just want to avoid dealing with that ruthless government at all.

2. I have no travel plans outside Canada for the remaining time (less than 2 years) while waiting to be eligible for the Canadian citizenship application.

Will it have any impact on my citizenship in the future without a valid passport from my home country? Please note that I got my PR through Express Entry CEC, and I am not a refugee.

Please give me some advice. Thank you.
Not the place to ask this. This thread is about citizenship applicants who submitted their applications in August 2020.

But it's here, now, so I will respond. If there are follow-up or other questions, please find a more appropriate topic or start one.

The short answer . . . well a relatively short answer . . . there is no requirement to have a valid passport, while as a PR or when applying for citizenship.

But what is *required* does NOT fully illuminate whether there might be some "impact" on how things go.

Edit . . . just saw you did ask this in a more appropriate topic, but misspelled my username there, so I saw this one first.

I am deleting most of the rest of what I answered here and posting it there . . . noting, however, that actually I more fully covered what I know (I am no expert) in numerous posts in that other topic, going back more than four years ago.

I will nonetheless leave here a note that gaps in passport validity can have an "impact."

Note, in particular, the current application form not only requires applicants to report the periods of time, within the eligibility period, for which they have a valid passport, which of course means disclosing any gaps, that is any period of time (within the eligibility period) during which the applicant did not have a valid passport, it also requires the applicant to explain why there is a gap.

In particular, while the language in the guide for the application varies some from the current application form, here is how it is stated in the most recent paper version of CIT 0002 (10-2020):
"If you do not have a travel document or passport that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period or if there is a gap between your passports, please explain why here."​
And there is a box in which the applicant explains why there is a gap in time during which the applicant has not had a valid passport.

For the explanation, that is Not a big deal.

But it warrants emphasizing that whether not having a valid passport will have "an impact," is not so easily answered. For the vast majority, it would be fair to say "probably not," or "not much even if it does." But if not having a valid passport is incongruous with who the applicant is, well, duh, that's likely to trigger a question or three, and whether or not that triggers non-routine processing, requests for additional documents, or such, well, it is going to vary. And of course if there is any indication the applicant did travel during a gap, that will almost certainly have an impact.

It warrants remembering that the questions posed in the application are there for a reason. If asked about it, odds are the answer can . . . well . . . have an impact.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Reactions: Pharoh2846

Pharoh2846

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
That's a broad question. Citizenship test invites are sent by the local offices and some offices send it sooner than the others. Several August 2020 applicants have received test invitations and most of them are from Ontario.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U27V95kWlCVYWB0zye7DvqoXSkyqxgbA31eEJ_TKO6Y/edit#gid=122463273
That's a broad question. Citizenship test invites are sent by the local offices and some offices send it sooner than the others. Several August 2020 applicants have received test invitations and most of them are from Ontario.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U27V95kWlCVYWB0zye7DvqoXSkyqxgbA31eEJ_TKO6Y/edit#gid=122463273
Thank you, but i was asking about the Oath ceremony , sorry if i was not clear :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you, but i was asking about the Oath ceremony , sorry if i was not clear :)
No, I'm sorry, my bad. Looks like I misread the question.

I see only 3 entries for applicants who have taken the oath in August. Again, oath ceremonies also depend on your local office (I don't think it is managed centrally). Hopefully, a sizable number of mid-late 2020 applicants will receive oath invitations by the end of this year. Fingers crossed!

jd93

Star Member
Oct 24, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-10-16
AOR Received.
24-10-16
I did my test on July 2, 2021. Status got to completed on July 5, 2021

Today on July 14, 2021 i got request for colored scanned copy of all passport pages

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I did my test on July 2, 2021. Status got to completed on July 5, 2021

Today on July 14, 2021 i got request for colored scanned copy of all passport pages
I don't see you on the spreadsheet.

Could you please provide your information in the following format so that I can add you to the spreadsheet?

App Type: Single / Family (# of applicants)
Physical Presence Days:
App Sent:
App Delivered:
AOR:
In-Progress:
Test Email:
Test Date:

Also, from the new status dashboard, can you please provide the dates of the following :

Background Check "Completed" date
Citizenship Test "Completed" date

Thank you!

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Just noticed on the new status tracker that my FP results were received, and my background verification status is "completed". Some progress, for what it's worth.

Language, physical presence and prohibitions are still "in progress". Generally, do any of these 3 need to change to "complete" before the test invite is sent out?

I'm an August 2020 applicant along with wife and kids. I received FP request and submitted through an agency last month, but my wife did not - her Background Verification status shows as "completed" as of March. Does this mean she will not be asked for FP and could receive her test invite? Or is her test invite held up until my FP / background verification gets done?

Her Indian passport expires in 3 months, and we are wondering whether it is worth the hassle of applying for a new Indian passport, or just wait for her Canadian citizenship to come through. We don't anticipate traveling internationally this year, given COVID.

jd93

Star Member
Oct 24, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-10-16
AOR Received.
24-10-16
I don't see you on the spreadsheet.

Could you please provide your information in the following format so that I can add you to the spreadsheet?

App Type: Single / Family (# of applicants)
Physical Presence Days:
App Sent:
App Delivered:
AOR:
In-Progress:
Test Email:
Test Date:

Also, from the new status dashboard, can you please provide the dates of the following :

Background Check "Completed" date
Citizenship Test "Completed" date

Thank you!
Hi Rajkamal,

Here is info for tracker

App Type: Single / Family (# of applicants) 1
Physical Presence Days: 1118
App Sent: Aug 13, 2020
App Delivered: Aug 21, 2020
AOR: Jan 26, 2021
In-Progress: Jan 26, 2021
Test Email: June 24, 2021