+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Almost five months since DM and am still waiting for the now unreachable Oath Invite!!
Am about to make my renewal application too, but god is it a long process and I don’t real feel like starting a different application at all!! Am so fed up with the citizenship application.
So surprised to read the time it took for you!!! Thought it would take a max of three months and probably less than that for most of the cases??? These applications are a real nightmare!!!
Anyways, just a question- Can you leave Canada with only your passport from your nationality if your PR card has expired?? Or you need your PR not just to enter but leave Canada as well when you’re travelling internationally?
Enjoy your wait guys and Good luck to all!
Nah, typically the PR Renewals take 4+ months. Follow the timeline thread here if you are applying.
I don't see why you cannot leave Canada with an expired PR Card as long as you have a valid passport + Visa, if required for your destination. But you will certainly face a challenge while coming back - you will need to apply for PRTD to be able to come back - which I guess you already know.

Reactions: Anjushka

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Nah, typically the PR Renewals take 4+ months. Follow the timeline thread here if you are applying.
I don't see why you cannot leave Canada with an expired PR Card as long as you have a valid passport + Visa, if required for your destination. But you will certainly face a challenge while coming back - you will need to apply for PRTD to be able to come back - which I guess you already know.
I don’t really know what the PRTD is, but I was thinking that if I’ll have to travel to my country -with my actual passport - and if I can do this with an expired PR, I can later come back when I get my Canadian passport right?
Will have to think about it anyways, I was only hoping to avoid PR renewal application- that’s all!
Thanks for your reply

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
I don’t really know what the PRTD is, but I was thinking that if I’ll have to travel to my country -with my actual passport - and if I can do this with an expired PR, I can later come back when I get my Canadian passport right?
Will have to think about it anyways, I was only hoping to avoid PR renewal application- that’s all!
Thanks for your reply
How will you get your Canadian passport in your home country?

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
How will you get your Canadian passport in your home country?
Same way as I’m getting it here through waiting right? Will have it mailed by a friend or relative when it’s finally ready after all this process is over. Or should I be physically here all the time even after I take my Oath? There must be smth I don’t really know-anyways -I was just wondering that could probably be the case .

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Same way as I’m getting it here through waiting right? Will have it mailed by a friend or relative when it’s finally ready after all this process is over. Or should I be physically here all the time even after I take my Oath? There must be smth I don’t really know-anyways -I was just wondering that could probably be the case .
To my understanding you cannot mail a passport across borders or even send it with someone - its downright illegal and border officials can seize it at the port of entry. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if people do take such risks. I myself would never do that though, not worth the stress. One can land in big trouble if caught!

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
To my understanding you cannot mail a passport across borders or even send it with someone - its downright illegal and border officials can seize it at the port of entry. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if people do take such risks. I myself would never do that though, not worth the stress. One can land in big trouble if caught!
I never knew about that being illegal.
Anyways, I was just guessing and thinking of if I might have to travel for urgent reasons only. In addition to all these, I would definitely require to know more detailed/accurate info so that I can make a well informed decision without anything being illegal of course.
Anyways, I still have some time to wait and see what happens - who knows - I might get an Oath invite tmrr and forget about all what was just said:)
Thanks so much for your time and best of luck to all!

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
I never knew about that being illegal.
Anyways, I was just guessing and thinking of if I might have to travel for urgent reasons only. In addition to all these, I would definitely require to know more detailed/accurate info so that I can make a well informed decision without anything being illegal of course.
Anyways, I still have some time to wait and see what happens - who knows - I might get an Oath invite tmrr and forget about all what was just said:)
Thanks so much for your time and best of luck to all!
I guess you will get the Oath sooner :) - wish you the best!

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi royce,
Congrats!
I think I’ve told you we’re going to probably get Oath invite at same time even though I took the test several months ago:)
We’re both in the same boat now - waiting to get Oath invite. Hope it’s going to be this year even though I feel so frustrated about all this!
Good luck,
Hey Anjushka! I still have not received DM, last update was test completion. My MP office was informed by IRCC that the processing time is 26 months and that we might have to wait until Fall 2022.. I am hoping it doesnt come down to that, fingers crossed

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
I guess you will get the Oath sooner :) - wish you the best!
Hahahah just a guess - hope it’s a lucky guess! But, yes at this point for me PR renewal might take the same time as
Hey Anjushka! I still have not received DM, last update was test completion. My MP office was informed by IRCC that the processing time is 26 months and that we might have to wait until Fall 2022.. I am hoping it doesnt come down to that, fingers crossed
Hi Royce!
It’s great to hear back from you. You’ll get DM soon for sure!
Wait till fall 2022?? Can’t believe it really!!!
As I mentioned before my PR card expires in Jan and I’m thinking of renewing it - even though I don’t really want to do it because of all the hassle and long unpredicted wait!
Just checked PR card renewal processing times and saw it might take up to 5months!
It’s been almost five months since I took the test and am waiting for Oath invite -so, I was thinking- applying for PR card renewal and getting an Oath invite and having the ceremony itself could probably happen at the same time or even earlier than that!
I don’t want to believe that we might be done with our Citizenship application by end of next year- otherwise I’ll just forget about it and focus on my PR card renewal!
What do you think?
Best of luck to you Royce,
A.

Reactions: royce110 and vvarma

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Hahahah just a guess - hope it’s a lucky guess! But, yes at this point for me PR renewal might take the same time as

Hi Royce!
It’s great to hear back from you. You’ll get DM soon for sure!
Wait till fall 2022?? Can’t believe it really!!!
As I mentioned before my PR card expires in Jan and I’m thinking of renewing it - even though I don’t really want to do it because of all the hassle and long unpredicted wait!
Just checked PR card renewal processing times and saw it might take up to 5months!
It’s been almost five months since I took the test and am waiting for Oath invite -so, I was thinking- applying for PR card renewal and getting an Oath invite and having the ceremony itself could probably happen at the same time or even earlier than that!
I don’t want to believe that we might be done with our Citizenship application by end of next year- otherwise I’ll just forget about it and focus on my PR card renewal!
What do you think?
Best of luck to you Royce,
A.
Hey Royce,
:) Right after I replied to your post I checked the online tracker and saw the tracked was updated today Nov. 17!
Got oath invite for December 1 , Finally!
Will still have to wait for the remaining time for this process and won’t have to apply for PR Card renewal I guess!
Best of luck to you too!
A.

Canadacanada2018

May 8, 2018
Hey,

today I can see in my account that it was last updated Today Nov 17, but I do not see any changes in the account. Is it weird?
Still only my background and citizenship tests are completed, the rest of items are in progress.
What kind of an update could it be?

Reactions: PumpkinJack

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Royce,
:) Right after I replied to your post I checked the online tracker and saw the tracked was updated today Nov. 17!
Got oath invite for December 1 , Finally!
Will still have to wait for the remaining time for this process and won’t have to apply for PR Card renewal I guess!
Best of luck to you too!
A.
Awesome, congrats!!! happy for you :) Finally you are one step away from being done and dusted with IRCC! Hope the rest of us who are waiting can follow suit!